Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

The XENIX Q502USB Mixer and the iRig microphone

Contributor - Level 2

Hi all:

I'm a newbie in this Forum and, by mistake, I posted the question below in the Mixer section Smiley Sad. My apologies! But here I go…Smiley Very Happy

I own a Q502USB mixer. Recently, a friend of mine, knowing that I have an iPhone X, offered me an iRig microphone designed by IK Multimedia. The

[COLOR=#333333][LEFT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&] iRig microphone connects directly to the iPhone via a Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter (an Apple accessory). I use the HandyRec app by Zoom to record pieces I play in a classic guitar [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][LEFT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&]and everything works fine.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
[/COLOR]
[LEFT][COLOR=#3e3e3e][FONT=&][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&]
T
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&]he XLR input of the Q502 is already in use by another microphone[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&] and I would like to connect the iRig microphone to one of the mono line inputs the Q503USB mixer as well, so as to record in stereo mode with two microphones.

The iRig mic ends up in a male/female connector as shown in the attached image. The male jack is a 3.5 mm TRRS plug which follows the CTIA standard (left channel (+), right channel (+), earth, microphone). The female in the plug is for monitoring using a standard Apple earphones, which also has a TRRS plug at the end of its cord.

To connect this microphone to one of the mono line inputs of the Q502 I need a cable with a female TRRS socket (or a male plug) that connects its 3rd ring (earth) to the sleeve of a 6.3 mm TS plug, and its 4th ring (microphone) to the tip of the 6.3 mm TS plug (microphone).
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&]

Now, short of building this cable myself (and I do not have the tools at home to do it), does anybody knows of any commercially available cable that I might use?

Many thanks in advance,

Jorge
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
Tags (2)
2 REPLIES

Re: The XENIX Q502USB Mixer and the iRig microphone

Contributor - Level 3
Jorge Oliveira;160165 wrote:

Hi all:

I'm a newbie in this Forum and, by mistake, I posted the question below in the Mixer section Smiley Sad. My apologies! But here I go…Smiley Very Happy

I own a Q502USB mixer. Recently, a friend of mine, knowing that I have an iPhone X, offered me an iRig microphone designed by IK Multimedia. The

[COLOR=#333333][LEFT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&] iRig microphone connects directly to the iPhone via a Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter (an Apple accessory). I use the HandyRec app by Zoom to record pieces I play in a classic guitar [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][LEFT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&]and everything works fine.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
[/COLOR]
[LEFT][COLOR=#3e3e3e][FONT=&][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&]
T
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&]he XLR input of the Q502 is already in use by another microphone[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&] and I would like to connect the iRig microphone to one of the mono line inputs the Q503USB mixer as well, so as to record in stereo mode with two microphones.

The iRig mic ends up in a male/female connector as shown in the attached image. The male jack is a 3.5 mm TRRS plug which follows the CTIA standard (left channel (+), right channel (+), earth, microphone). The female in the plug is for monitoring using a standard Apple earphones, which also has a TRRS plug at the end of its cord.

To connect this microphone to one of the mono line inputs of the Q502 I need a cable with a female TRRS socket (or a male plug) that connects its 3rd ring (earth) to the sleeve of a 6.3 mm TS plug, and its 4th ring (microphone) to the tip of the 6.3 mm TS plug (microphone).
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&]

Now, short of building this cable myself (and I do not have the tools at home to do it), does anybody knows of any commercially available cable that I might use?

Many thanks in advance,

Jorge
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Hi Jorge,

Welcome to the forums. I don't "think" that microphone will work with a mixer. Since it's a condenser mic, it needs power and, I "think" it's getting "plug-in-power" power from the iPhone jack.

Take a look at this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power and scroll down to Plug-in-Power.

If you want to try it out you can convert the CTIA plug to dual TRS plugs with this cable: https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-3-5mm-Jack-Adapter-CTIA/dp/B071NDLCGC

You'll also need a 3.5mm TRS to 6.3mm TS adapter for the mic input as well as a 3.5mm TRS to 6.3mm TRS adapter for the headphones.

I'd probably reach out to IK before trying it though to save yourself some time and money.

Let us know how it goes.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Re: The XENIX Q502USB Mixer and the iRig microphone

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Ken:

Thank you for your prompt answer. I looked into the information about plug-in-power and you are right, I totally overlooked the fact that the iRig is a condenser microphone and that it needs phantom power or, in this case, plug-in-power. The line inputs of the Q502 mixer do not have phantom power, therefore, there is no point in trying to connect the iRig to one of those. On the other hand, I do not dare to connect it to the Q502 XLR input either, as the +48V might damage the microphone (PiP, the article says, works with much lower voltages, 3 V up to 5V). So, that's it, the iRig is only to be used with my iPhone Smiley Sad.

The funny thing is that I did contact IK Multimedia Forum asking if the iRig could be used with one of their I/O interfaces (the iRig Pro, for instance) and just got this quite laconic answer:
[SIZE=3]
You cannot connect iRig Mic directly to iRig Pro DUO as iRig Mic is designed to plug into the headphone jack of mobile devices.[/SIZE]

Regrettably, they did not call my attention, as you did, that it was not simply a question of adapters but, instead, that the iRig uses PiP and their interfaces are not prepared for that.

Thank you also for pointing me to the splitter cable you found on Amazon, it's always good to know it exists, there might be a time it might be usefulSmiley Very Happy.

Best regards,

Jorge
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors