Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

Turntable to UMC22 direct monitor stereo?

Contributor - Level 1
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a few things. I'm planning on hooking up a turntable to the UMC22 and use the direct monitor to play it on my headphones. The turntable is already connected to a preamp and will use an RCA stereo line out towards the UMC22.

Now my question is as following. How can I connect the stereo RCA line out to the UMC22, while maintaining the stereo signal, so that my headphones will play in stereo aswell?

I have already tried a RCA -> 1 stereo 6.3 jack, but this seems to still give a mono signal to the headphones. Maybe it is possible to convert both RCA connectors in two mono 6.3 jack plugs and to connect the second plug in the second channel.

Hope you guys know a solution to this.
Greetings,

Bas
Tags (2)
3 REPLIES

Re: Turntable to UMC22 direct monitor stereo?

Contributor - Level 3
Bas Korthuis;160265 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a few things. I'm planning on hooking up a turntable to the UMC22 and use the direct monitor to play it on my headphones. The turntable is already connected to a preamp and will use an RCA stereo line out towards the UMC22.

Now my question is as following. How can I connect the stereo RCA line out to the UMC22, while maintaining the stereo signal, so that my headphones will play in stereo aswell?

I have already tried a RCA -> 1 stereo 6.3 jack, but this seems to still give a mono signal to the headphones. Maybe it is possible to convert both RCA connectors in two mono 6.3 jack plugs and to connect the second plug in the second channel.

Hope you guys know a solution to this.
Greetings,

Bas

Hi Bas,

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, you won't be able to do what you want with the UMC22. Input 1 uses a balanced XLR/TRS combo jack used to take in a Mono signal and Input 2 uses a balanced TRS jack to also take in Mono. The issue is that Input 2 is a Hi-Z input meant for instruments and other devices that require a high impedance input.

You'd need something like the UMC202HD which has 2x line-level inputs to do what you want. A UCA222 would also work but you'd need to convert the 3.5mm headphone jack to a 6.3mm.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 1
Ken Mitchell;160274 wrote:
Hi Bas,

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, you won't be able to do what you want with the UMC22. Input 1 uses a balanced XLR/TRS combo jack used to take in a Mono signal and Input 2 uses a balanced TRS jack to also take in Mono. The issue is that Input 2 is a Hi-Z input meant for instruments and other devices that require a high impedance input.

You'd need something like the UMC202HD which has 2x line-level inputs to do what you want. A UCA222 would also work but you'd need to convert the 3.5mm headphone jack to a 6.3mm.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Thanks for the quick reply! Alright, so both inputs being mono is the problem then. I find that kind of odd, because the phones out on the devices is in stereo. I don't see the point of that if it doesn't put a stereo signal in the first place. Maybe because the headphones have two little speakers and so the mono signal wil be split into two identical signals for both L and R speakers?

The thing is that I already have the UMC22 and buyig the UMC202HD makes the UMC22 a bit useless.

Maybe the Behringer XENYX 802 mixer will be able to suit my needs, as I am not planning on recording in stereo and only use it as a 'control device' to get the turntable signal to my headphones. The mixer will also give me the option to us an EQ which I cannot on the UMC202HD. Do you think that's an option aswell?

Contributor - Level 3
Bas Korthuis;160275 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply! Alright, so both inputs being mono is the problem then. I find that kind of odd, because the phones out on the devices is in stereo. I don't see the point of that if it doesn't put a stereo signal in the first place. Maybe because the headphones have two little speakers and so the mono signal wil be split into two identical signals for both L and R speakers?

The thing is that I already have the UMC22 and buyig the UMC202HD makes the UMC22 a bit useless.

Maybe the Behringer XENYX 802 mixer will be able to suit my needs, as I am not planning on recording in stereo and only use it as a 'control device' to get the turntable signal to my headphones. The mixer will also give me the option to us an EQ which I cannot on the UMC202HD. Do you think that's an option aswell?

Hi Bas,

A "stereo" signal is technically just 2x mono signals with one being fed to the left and the other being fed to the right. In fact, for direct monitoring, you'd only hear Input 1 on the left side and only hear Input 2 on the right side.

I think the 802 is a great option. I love my 802. It also gives you the option to send the turntable to amp/monitor setup if you want to do that down the road.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudo Given
  • Contributors