Highlighted

UMC 404HD and Windows 10 is Driving me Insane !

Contributor - Level 2
Please help....

I have a UMC404HD, driver 4.38, line out 1&2, running on Windows 10. I have never noticed a problem when running in my DAW (Repear) but it does not work with anything else.....

1) You-tube plays the video for 10-30 second as normal then swirling circle and no audio.
2) Problems with stopping audio and large slow downs programs such as epsxe PS1 emulator, steam.
3) Windows media player, groove music, i-tunes, start to play, then audio goes off randomly, if I press play, nothing happens.

What I have tried....

1) Disabled all other sound devices - NVIdea, and onboard sound chip.
2) Making sure windows audio and UMC setup has the same bit rate, 44.1, 48, 192k etc.
3) Unchecking "allow exclusive control" in windows settings.

But wait.....

4) If I open windows sounds and test a audio samples (i.e. calendar reminder), it sometimes resets the problem.
5) If I change the bit rate it resets the problem.
6) I cannot go on shutting down programs to do 4&5 all the time....

Reading between the lines on the forums, the Behringer devices are not compatible with windows 10.

Please help my sanity if anyone has any ideas, considering getting a focusrite at the moment, thanks Dave
Tags (2)
16 REPLIES 16

Re: UMC 404HD and Windows 10 is Driving me Insane !

Contributor - Level 3
Hello David,

I just checked this out on my Windows 10 system. At first YouTube played but eventually stopped. I made sure that when I left clicked on the little speaker icon bottom right of windows, I selected "Line Out 1-2 (Behringer UMC404HD 192k). Then I unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in sound settings. I opened my DAW and was able to play piano while the YouTube video was playing for over a minute. Now, when I started changing sample rates, I ran into trouble with YouTube. I've heard the video standard is 48000 Hz and noticed that it worked at 48 but not 44. Once I set it back to 48 and reloaded the YouTube video, it worked again. I also had safe mode checked in the UMC driver.

I don't know anything about those other services, but as with YouTube, it could be a sample rate compatibility thing. Try 48000 Hz and see what happens.

edit: I also had the UMC404HD selected as default device in Windows 10 and selected the UMC ASIO driver in the DAW.

-Tom

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks Tom, I have tried 48k (both in 16 and 24 bit flavours) and unchecked the box allowing exclusive control.
Further update since my first post, if it helps anyone diagnose - I have plugged in an old $15 behringer UCA222 and it my audio now works perfectly in Steam, you tube, groove, media player everything works with no crashing, it helps me in the short term, but now I cannot make music in my DAW without unplugging, disabling, changing defaults etc - I guess this points to the UMC404HD being the problem?.....
Dave.

Super Contributor - Level 2
David Knowles;157906 wrote:
Thanks Tom, I have tried 48k (both in 16 and 24 bit flavours) and unchecked the box allowing exclusive control.
Further update since my first post, if it helps anyone diagnose - I have plugged in an old $15 behringer UCA222 and it my audio now works perfectly in Steam, you tube, groove, media player everything works with no crashing, it helps me in the short term, but now I cannot make music in my DAW without unplugging, disabling, changing defaults etc - I guess this points to the UMC404HD being the problem?.....
Dave.

Hi Dave,

My son had the exact same problem a while back and he "fixed it" by completely uninstalling (make sure you check remove drivers) the NVidia drivers and then re-installing the latest NVidia drivers without the HD audio driver.

He also had a problem with the drivers for a Steam Link device he was testing out at one point. It had installed some kind of audio "shim" to redirect audio to the network. I think he ended up wiping his computer and starting fresh to fix that one.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Hi,
I have more or less the same issues with my UMC204HD (I wrote a post few days ago but nobody replied yet).

It happens frequently that while I use some programs (internet browsers, media players or my daw) I must reset the hertz frequency of the speakers moving it from 44'100 to 48'000 - if then I immediately set it back to 44'100 the sound will work)

please note that I have and AMD graphic card (and not an Invidia one)...

Super Contributor - Level 2
Riccardo Merlo;158202 wrote:
Hi,
I have more or less the same issues with my UMC204HD (I wrote a post few days ago but nobody replied yet).

It happens frequently that while I use some programs (internet browsers, media players or my daw) I must reset the hertz frequency of the speakers moving it from 44'100 to 48'000 - if then I immediately set it back to 44'100 the sound will work)

please note that I have and AMD graphic card (and not an Invidia one)...

Hi Riccardo,

I replied to your post. In your case and Dave's it appears to be a bitrate conflict between applications. One application is using 44.1K when another application comes along and changes it to 48K. What DAW are you running?

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Ken Mitchell;158206 wrote:
Hi Riccardo,

I replied to your post. In your case and Dave's it appears to be a bitrate conflict between applications. One application is using 44.1K when another application comes along and changes it to 48K. What DAW are you running?

Ken

Hi Ken,
thanks for your reply; I'm also sending a post on my thread thanks

I'm using Cakewalk by BandLab and it's set on 44'100.

Contributor - Level 2
I have contacted technical support but they are not much help to date. This hardware problem is widely reported across the internet.

Behringer are simply not keeping pace with Windows 10 updates and my kit is now virtually obolete and only 1 year old!

I am very suprised with Behringer their products are normally spot on, but support on this behringer driver problem is poor. The thought of working between two sound interfaces, unplugging leads, changing bif rates as a workaround was the problem I though I was avoiding by buying the UMC404HD.

Good luck everyone but I am buying a focusrite and putting the UMC404HD on ebay as sold as seen. I suppose the higher price you pay for products pays for itself in the long run in terms of ongoing support from the vendor.

Dave

Contributor - Level 2
David Knowles;158409 wrote:
I have contacted technical support but they are not much help to date. This hardware problem is widely reported across the internet.

Behringer are simply not keeping pace with Windows 10 updates and my kit is now virtually obolete and only 1 year old!

I am very suprised with Behringer their products are normally spot on, but support on this behringer driver problem is poor. The thought of working between two sound interfaces, unplugging leads, changing bif rates as a workaround was the problem I though I was avoiding by buying the UMC404HD.

Good luck everyone but I am buying a focusrite and putting the UMC404HD on ebay as sold as seen. I suppose the higher price you pay for products pays for itself in the long run in terms of ongoing support from the vendor.

Dave

As you probably read above, I'm facing very similar problems with my UMC204HD (to me, it's "only" very annoying but i'ts even much worse of course for a continuous or semi-professional use).

The hardware is really good and the ratio quality/price is unbeatable but, as you say, the drivers must be updated to keep the product usable... otherwise even the best technology gets useless.
I hope someone of the Behringer team is working on this.

QUICK UPDATE
Hi Dave... just wait! I don't think it's final yet... but maybe I have found a solution! Well maybe it should cost 19,90 €/$ but it can be worth!
I'm just trying a software: LOOPBE AUDIO... it's a "virtual audio device to transfer audio between computer programs, digitally, without any quality loss".
I installed the trial version (it works for an hour then it stops... until the nex reboot) and for the moment I'm opening Firefox (twitter videos, youtube, facebook etc), Cakewalk (my daw), GuitarRig, VLC player, all at the same time and no crash! No need to set the frequence of the audio again! I will use it for few days (I will make several reboots to try it deeper) and if it's ok I will buy it! Ok it's a cost I wasn't think about but if it can help me to solve the matter... well, I will go on.
Maybe you can have a look and have a try also... let me know. I don't know if it's "fair" to the forum rules to make a link for an external software... but you can ask google and you will find it easily..... please check! ciao
PS please note I'm not anyhow involved with that website and software... it's just a recommendation to try to solve your (OUR) trouble without the need to change your gear

Contributor - Level 2
Hi everybody... I confirm that, after few days of trial, I bought LoopBe Audio: for me, problem solved!

If you're still thinkin about to change interface, maybe it's worth a try with LoopBe Audio before to do it