Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

UMC 404HD noy bypassing soundcard?

Contributor - Level 2
Hi folks!

My previous ASIO USB interface was the UCA 222. Despite looking like a toy, it was wonderful and flawless for me for 3 years. Now I need some mic inputs.
So, I got the UMC 404HD. It seems fine but one thing worries me:
When I teamed up the little UCA 222 with my DAW (Reason), the ASIO output from the DAW seemed to bypass the soundcard in my laptop. The MUTE, Vol+, Vol- buttons would become unusable. In other words, direct ASIO.

Now, with the new UMC 404HD those buttons still work when in ASIO mode.
This doesn't seem right to me. Is DAW output still being passed through my stupid laptop soundcard before hitting the UMC404 if those buttons still work?
I want ASIO direct. Need advice. Selecting thr UMC404 in the Windows sound output list didn't help.

thank you
7 REPLIES 7

Re: UMC 404HD noy bypassing soundcard?

Contributor - Level 3
Damon Mathews;158569 wrote:
Hi folks!

My previous ASIO USB interface was the UCA 222. Despite looking like a toy, it was wonderful and flawless for me for 3 years. Now I need some mic inputs.
So, I got the UMC 404HD. It seems fine but one thing worries me:
When I teamed up the little UCA 222 with my DAW (Reason), the ASIO output from the DAW seemed to bypass the soundcard in my laptop. The MUTE, Vol+, Vol- buttons would become unusable. In other words, direct ASIO.

Now, with the new UMC 404HD those buttons still work when in ASIO mode.
This doesn't seem right to me. Is DAW output still being passed through my stupid laptop soundcard before hitting the UMC404 if those buttons still work?
I want ASIO direct. Need advice. Selecting thr UMC404 in the Windows sound output list didn't help.

thank you

Hi Damon,

Welcome to the forums. Just to clarify... When you say vol and mute buttons, are you referring to the audio controls in the Windows system tray? If those are affecting the output of your DAW then you are likely not using ASIO in your DAW since those controls only affect Windows system audio drivers. When a DAW is using ASIO to the 404HD the only way to control the output is from the DAW.

I'd double check your settings in Reason.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Ken Mitchell;159029 wrote:
Hi Damon,

Welcome to the forums. Just to clarify... When you say vol and mute buttons, are you referring to the audio controls in the Windows system tray? If those are affecting the output of your DAW then you are likely not using ASIO in your DAW since those controls only affect Windows system audio drivers. When a DAW is using ASIO to the 404HD the only way to control the output is from the DAW.

I'd double check your settings in Reason.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Hi Ken,
Sorry for the delay. I was on a 'puter-free vacation for a week.

You have confirmed that I have a problem with my new UMC404HD.
When I said "mute +Vol" I was referring to the built in buttons on the laptop for that but it's the same for the tray, of course.

As I said before, my little UCA222 worked as expected. I would simply select it inside my DAW (Propellerhead Reason) and my ASIO output would hook up directly, I would get great speeds and low latency and the mute and vols of the laptop would be bypassed.

Everything is the same now - but it doesn't seem to work as expected.
I select my new UMC404HD in the DAW - make sure the laptop's output is UMC404HD channels 1&2 - and..... I don't seem to be getting ASIO speeds and...... the laptop's soundcard mute & vol still function.
So, as far as I can tell, I am not going into direct ASIO control of the new UMC404.

Damon

Contributor - Level 2
Let me update one part of the Reply I posted a few minutes ago.

I _am_ getting ASIO speeds with the UMC404HD.
And the message "ASIO active" is at the bottom of the little control box.

So, I guess I am in ASIO but it's just a weird setup where the laptop mute & vol controls are not bypassed?
Or something like that?

This should confuse things further: when I select my laptop's speakers (the laptop's own soundcard) as the output in the DAW's selection window It comes out the laptop's cruddy speakers, the buffer size gets huge (as expected), but I lose the use of the mute & vol controls in the laptop. .

So something is "wired" in a weird way.
I'm in ASIO, but it's weird. And maybe that's just how it's gonna be?

Contributor - Level 3
Damon Mathews;159570 wrote:
Let me update one part of the Reply I posted a few minutes ago.

I _am_ getting ASIO speeds with the UMC404HD.
And the message "ASIO active" is at the bottom of the little control box.

So, I guess I am in ASIO but it's just a weird setup where the laptop mute & vol controls are not bypassed?
Or something like that?

This should confuse things further: when I select my laptop's speakers (the laptop's own soundcard) as the output in the DAW's selection window It comes out the laptop's cruddy speakers, the buffer size gets huge (as expected), but I lose the use of the mute & vol controls in the laptop. .

So something is "wired" in a weird way.
I'm in ASIO, but it's weird. And maybe that's just how it's gonna be?

Hi Damon,

Based on the "ASIO Active" message, it sounds like you are still using ASIO4ALL for the 404HD? You should be selecting the ASIO UMC driver in your DAW, not ASIO4ALL. Also, Make sure the 404HD is not selected as the sound device in ASIO4ALL. That can cause conflicts.

Let us know if that helps.
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
No. I don't keep ASIO4All on my machine because it didn't properly run the heroic little UCA222.
I used the original Behringer driver for that.

Before I just give up......
I notice that on the UMC 404HD's own control panel, when I click on status, the drop down menu that says "UMC 404HD 192k" is always grayed out and unclickable.
Is this a clue to the problem?

Contributor - Level 3
Damon Mathews;159789 wrote:
No. I don't keep ASIO4All on my machine because it didn't properly run the heroic little UCA222.
I used the original Behringer driver for that.

Before I just give up......
I notice that on the UMC 404HD's own control panel, when I click on status, the drop down menu that says "UMC 404HD 192k" is always grayed out and unclickable.
Is this a clue to the problem?

Hi Damon,

That sounds correct to me. Mine is grayed-out as well. I suspect that if you had one than one UMC device, the pulldown would allow you to select between them.

My studio setup is a little different in that all of my audio IO devices are actually buffered behind a Waves SoundGrid driver that allows them to be shared across the SoundGrid network.

I just decoupled the 404HD from the SG network and I get the same behavior as you do with the native UMC driver when I have ASIO outputs set to the same outputs as the system.

It's a little strange but I don't know that I'd worry about it. BTW, I never set my system audio to my recording/playback devices. I usually have it set to the built-in device which I keep muted.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks so much, Ken for all your time!
I just needed confirmation that it's all OK but a little weird.
My own "tests" seemed to say ASIO was engaged despite how it looked. You see, the vol/mute defeat was just a thing I leaned on to know for sure I had selected devices properly.
Oh well....... just have to be more careful now.

Waves Sound Grid! Wow! I love Waves stuff! (and Behringer, of course!)
Vitamin has become a standard part of my song template. It's ability to separate instruments in a mix is just too good to not use.
And one of the most effective, predictable and satisfying software compressors I've tried (still a student. Still learning) is the 25 year old audiotrack compressor/gate. It's been updated recently so it's not so Windows 98 sad and tired looking anymore.

But I digress........
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors