Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

UMC1820 ADAT connection to Mac Pro Tower

Contributor - Level 2
Hi I'm using the UMC1820 in my home project studio.

I have an older PowerMac Pro 2 A1186, 2.66ghz Intel duo I use as an instrument. I have connected the optical out from the PowerMac to the matching ADAT port on the UMC1820 to get the 2 channel digital audio into the DAW on my Mac Mini Server (specs below).

What channel would I open on my DAW to hear the audio and what audio settings do I need to match between the two Macs? 44,1000 or 48,000?

Mac Mini Server 2010

OSX High Sierra
8GB
Dual 500 gb 7200rpm HDs

DAW = Reason 8.x

Thank you!
1 REPLY

Re: UMC1820 ADAT connection to Mac Pro Tower

Contributor - Level 3
John Brockman;159634 wrote:
Hi I'm using the UMC1820 in my home project studio.

I have an older PowerMac Pro 2 A1186, 2.66ghz Intel duo I use as an instrument. I have connected the optical out from the PowerMac to the matching ADAT port on the UMC1820 to get the 2 channel digital audio into the DAW on my Mac Mini Server (specs below).

What channel would I open on my DAW to hear the audio and what audio settings do I need to match between the two Macs? 44,1000 or 48,000?

Mac Mini Server 2010

OSX High Sierra
8GB
Dual 500 gb 7200rpm HDs

DAW = Reason 8.x

Thank you!

Hi John,

From looking at the QSG, it looks like you'd want to set the OPT I/O to SPDIF and the SPDIF Input channels would be either 9-10 or 11-12. In looking at Items #13 and #23 on Page 6 of the QSG, the descriptions are a little confusing. I "think" they're going to be 9-10 even though the TOSLink connector is labelled 11-18. Again, I "think" that's for ADAT. I'd probably just set up a project with all 18 inputs on 18 tracks, record arm them all, and see where the signal comes in. You may have to enable Record Monitoring as well. I'm not familiar with Reason.

As far as bitrate, I'd think you'd set that on the output of the PowerMac and the 1820 would follow the S/PDIF signal as its clock.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Conversation Stats
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors