Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

UMC202HD and UMC204HD input/autput

Contributor - Level 2
Hi,
I have some questions about inputs and outputs of the Behringer UMC202HD and UMC204HD.

I have (theoretically) mic on input1, guitar on input2, headphones on headphones output (front, for direct monitoring) and left and right speaker on the left and right output (main out@UMC204HD).

My questions are:
1. Do I hear mic on the left headphone (@direct monitor) and on the left output speaker and guitar on the right headphone (@direct monitor) and on the right output speaker or do I hear both inputs on both sides of the headphones/speakers? Is it the same for UMC202HD as it is for UMC204HD? I've noticed that UMC204HD has mono/stereo button. Does it apply to headphone or main out?

2. Is it posible to simultaneously listen sound from the PC and record with both inputs?
I've read somewhere, that it is not posible for UMC202HD ...

Uros
5 REPLIES

Re: UMC202HD and UMC204HD input/autput

Contributor - Level 2
Forgot one.
3. Is it possible to hear yourself (direct monitor) out on the output (main out@UMC204HD) on the back?

Contributor - Level 3
Uros Scek;159864 wrote:
Hi,
I have some questions about inputs and outputs of the Behringer UMC202HD and UMC204HD.

I have (theoretically) mic on input1, guitar on input2, headphones on headphones output (front, for direct monitoring) and left and right speaker on the left and right output (main out@UMC204HD).

My questions are:
1. Do I hear mic on the left headphone (@direct monitor) and on the left output speaker and guitar on the right headphone (@direct monitor) and on the right output speaker or do I hear both inputs on both sides of the headphones/speakers? Is it the same for UMC202HD as it is for UMC204HD? I've noticed that UMC204HD has mono/stereo button. Does it apply to headphone or main out?

2. Is it posible to simultaneously listen sound from the PC and record with both inputs?
I've read somewhere, that it is not posible for UMC202HD ...

Uros

Hi Uros,

Welcome to the forums. Take a look at the diagram in the following link which should help explain the 204HD. While it's for the 404HD, the 204HD is the same with just two less inputs.

https://github.com/mcnster/umc-404hd-signal-path/blob/master/umc404hd.pdf

To answer your questions, yes, Input1 is Left and Input2 is Right when Direct Monitoring in Stereo. Pressing the Mono button puts both inputs on both outputs. The Mono/Stereo button applies to both headphones and Main outputs.

You can definitely record and playback at the same time with the 204HD while using the Mix knob to blend PB1/2 with the inputs for playback. PB3/4 only goes to Output B on the back of the 204HD.

I'm not familiar with the 202HD but a couple of things noticeably missing are the Stereo/Mono button and the Mix knob that allows you to blend the inputs with playback. Hopefully, someone with a 202HD can answer your questions on that unit.

Forgot one.
3. Is it possible to hear yourself (direct monitor) out on the output (main out@UMC204HD) on the back?

Yes, rotate the Mix knob fully counterclockwise so that 100% of the inputs are going to Main Out LR and MON A.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Hi,
thank you for explaining everything about UMC204HD. That diagram helped me a lot to understand. I will try to find schemtic for UMC202HD.

I would really like to hear from someone about UMC202HD, because in my internet research I found out that (mainly, not for sure) UMC202HD has stereo direct monitor/output. But on my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 direct monitor/output are mono (I hear both inputs on both headphones/speakers) and the interface has no mono/stereo button. So I would really like to know what is default setting for these kind of interfaces.

Uros

Contributor - Level 3
Uros Scek;159945 wrote:
Hi,
thank you for explaining everything about UMC204HD. That diagram helped me a lot to understand. I will try to find schemtic for UMC202HD.

I would really like to hear from someone about UMC202HD, because in my internet research I found out that (mainly, not for sure) UMC202HD has stereo direct monitor/output. But on my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 direct monitor/output are mono (I hear both inputs on both headphones/speakers) and the interface has no mono/stereo button. So I would really like to know what is default setting for these kind of interfaces.

Uros

Hi Uros,

This thread confirms that the Direct Monitoring output of the 202HD is stereo.

https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?9385-UMC202HD-input-L-R-question

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Thank you. You helped me a lot. Now I know what to buy.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors