Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

UMC204HD Inserts

I've been trying to find an answer to a fairly basic question about the inserts on the UMC204HD and if anyone could help I would be grateful.

I'd like to know if the inserts are stereo TRS jacks or mono (or something else if I've completely missed the boat).

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
JeremyHawkins Contributor - Level 1 2017-08-08

2017-08-08

UMC204HD Inserts

I've been trying to find an answer to a fairly basic question about the inserts on the UMC204HD and if anyone could help I would be grateful.

I'd like to know if the inserts are stereo TRS jacks or mono (or something else if I've completely missed the boat).

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: UMC204HD Inserts

The quick start shows the information in the attached image below and depending on the gear you would be connecting to, you might use a cable like this one......
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O1O/ref=twister_B01DN7NZPI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Tip of the TRS is usually the 'Send' and the ring 'Return'. Both the Send and Return are mono signals and unbalanced. Behringer did not appear to state this in the Quick Start manual as they should have (or I couldn't find it in the multi-lingual mish-mash), however at the top of the Quick Start it states, 'Check out behringer.com for the Full Manual' which if it existed should have this information.
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, Mark. That actually does help. I am a bit frustrated, though, that I can't seem to find the fabled "full manual" anywhere, and I suspect it doesn't really exist. I know that this interface doesn't have anything unusual (at least probably), it would be nice to have a real reference to check these kinds of questions. Anyway, I'm going to see what results I can get with standard insert cables and that'll probably answer my questions as definitively as I can hope for.
Contributor - Level 2

Jeremy Hawkins;129295 wrote:
Thanks, Mark. That actually does help. I am a bit frustrated, though, that I can't seem to find the fabled "full manual" anywhere, and I suspect it doesn't really exist. I know that this interface doesn't have anything unusual (at least probably), it would be nice to have a real reference to check these kinds of questions. Anyway, I'm going to see what results I can get with standard insert cables and that'll probably answer my questions as definitively as I can hope for.

I have the same interface. I can confirm the inserts are 1/4 TRS which the way I understand it the 1/4 stereo jack goes to the insert of the 204 then the two mono 1/4 jacks go to the send and return of the external effect, respectively. What I am not sure is which is send and which return. I believe send is the tip and return is the sleeve (edit: sleeve is wrong, it is for the common ground, the correct is ring). But I could be wrong, trial and error will tell.
Dimi Pana
Rock Star - Level 1

DimiPana;143803 wrote:
I have the same interface. I can confirm the inserts are 1/4 TRS which the way I understand it the 1/4 stereo jack goes to the insert of the 204 then the two mono 1/4 jacks go to the send and return of the external effect, respectively. What I am not sure is which is send and which return. I believe send is the tip and return is the sleeve. But I could be wrong, trial and error will tell.

Hi Dimi,

Be careful with mixing stereo/mono with TRS and TS. A balanced mono signal uses a TRS cable.

TRS is Tip/Ring/Sleeve and TS is Tip/Sleeve.

On the TRS end Tip=Send, Ring=Return, Sleeve=Common

On the other end, one TS is Send/Common and the other TS is Return/Common

http://hosatech.com/product/stp-200/

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Ken Mitchell;143811 wrote:
Hi Dimi,

Be careful with mixing stereo/mono with TRS and TS. A balanced mono signal uses a TRS cable.

TRS is Tip/Ring/Sleeve and TS is Tip/Sleeve.

On the TRS end Tip=Send, Ring=Return, Sleeve=Common

On the other end, one TS is Send/Common and the other TS is Return/Common

http://hosatech.com/product/stp-200/

Ken

Now I got a little confused, why are we bringing "stereo" into this discussion when the insert, AFAIK, is not carrying a stereo signal?

So here's -at least- how I understand it and tell me if I am right:

A balanced XLR to TRS follows the following wiring scheme as in the following link/picture:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-connect-interface-to-preamp

But in my case, I will be using the Behringer UMC204HD insert jack to send the signal to an external device and then receive the processed signal from the output of that device back into the same insert jack of the Behringer audio interface for further processing.

So, the Uphoria insert is not carrying a L-R stereo signal but a it is a TRS where T=tip is for sending, R=ring is for receiving and S-sleeve is the common "ground" or zero reference point for the same mono signal coming from and returning to the Uphoria after it has been processed by external device. Therefore a cable adapter is needed with a 1/4" TRS going into the insert and a Y cable with two 1/4" TS going into the input and output of the external device. Obviously it is critical to know which of the two TS is what.

AM I CORRECT assuming the above?

Thanks!
Dimi Pana
Rock Star - Level 1

DimiPana;143943 wrote:
Now I got a little confused, why are we bringing "stereo" into this discussion when the insert, AFAIK, is not carrying a stereo signal?

So here's -at least- how I understand it and tell me if I am right:

A balanced XLR to TRS follows the following wiring scheme as in the following link/picture:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-connect-interface-to-preamp

But in my case, I will be using the Behringer UMC204HD insert jack to send the signal to an external device and then receive the processed signal from the output of that device back into the same insert jack of the Behringer audio interface for further processing.

So, the Uphoria insert is not carrying a L-R stereo signal but a it is a TRS where T=tip is for sending, R=ring is for receiving and S-sleeve is the common "ground" or zero reference point for the same mono signal coming from and returning to the Uphoria after it has been processed by external device. Therefore a cable adapter is needed with a 1/4" TRS going into the insert and a Y cable with two 1/4" TS going into the input and output of the external device. Obviously it is critical to know which of the two TS is what.

AM I CORRECT assuming the above?

Thanks!

Hi Dimi,

You understanding is correct. My intent was not to add confusion but just to clarify. In your previous post you referenced plugging the 1/4" stereo jack into the 204 and the 1/4" mono jacks in to the effects device. I just wanted to clarify that you should use TRS and TS when referring to the jacks instead of calling them stereo and mono.

Sorry for the confusion.
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Ken you are absolutely correct , sorry if I sounded too quick. Indeed any time we see an XLR we assume it is a balanced signal (after all why use a three pin plug if not using all three of them, right?) but any time we see a "stereo" 1/4" jack we have to be sure if it is indeed a stereo signal (L - R) or a mono balanced signal or even as in the Uphoria interface case two mono unbalanced signals in a "send" and "return" configuration.

I am actually (now that all this is clear) glad you brought "stereo" into the conversation (even if not directly applicable to the Uphoria insert plug) because it would be really problematic to connect the wrong type of signal to the wrong type of insert (I wonder if that could electronically damage the device input, probably yes, right!?)

Thanks again!
Dimi Pana