Contributor - Level 2

UMC204HD Little to no input audio volume

I have a UMC204HD and I'm issues with instrument and mic input volumes. I've tried several different mics (shure 55SH - with and without transformer, SM58, SM137), a couple acoustics gtrs with pickups, an electric with and without DI, but no matter what I do I can't get volume above -30db (if I crank it with my gtr and DI I can get more but it comes with horrendous buzzing and noise). I've tried with and without phantom power and both inputs, and cyled pad/instrument toggles as well. They work fine with my sons Focusrite. I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help/suggestions appreciated. Cheers

erasemenu Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-07

2019-11-07

UMC204HD Little to no input audio volume

I have a UMC204HD and I'm issues with instrument and mic input volumes. I've tried several different mics (shure 55SH - with and without transformer, SM58, SM137), a couple acoustics gtrs with pickups, an electric with and without DI, but no matter what I do I can't get volume above -30db (if I crank it with my gtr and DI I can get more but it comes with horrendous buzzing and noise). I've tried with and without phantom power and both inputs, and cyled pad/instrument toggles as well. They work fine with my sons Focusrite. I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help/suggestions appreciated. Cheers

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: UMC204HD Little to no input audio volume

Hi Ron @erasemenu , 

Welcome to the community.  Where are you measuring the -30db volume, at the headphones or at the USB INs to a DAW?   Are the SIG LEDs flashing when you shout into a mic or strum the guitar? Check the position of the MIX knob to make sure it's rotated all of the way counter-clockwise to IN vs. clockwise to PB.   

Here's a block diagram of the 4040HD (same as 204HD with 2 less channels and a few connector differences) that may be useful:  https://github.com/mcnster/umc-404hd-signal-path/blob/master/umc404hd.pdf

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Measured in my DAW. I haven't checked at input (very good point as well). I didn't have issues with the other DAC so I assumed my software wasn't the issue, but I can see where that's flawed logic. 

Mix is set full mix. 

I do get signal light. It does seem to only blink with above average effort, ie very loud/ nearly shouting with mic's and essentially full volume with guitars. 

Just a clarification, if it helps, it's not flat lined at 30db literally (like limited), it's roughly there +/- 3.

It really acts like it's passive signal. Like the input is bypassing the preamp? I may not be using the correct analogy, but something along those lines. 

I'll check out the diagram. 

Thank you very much for the help!

@erasemenu 

Hi Ron, 

A couple of clarifications.  What do you mean by MIX is set to full mix.  Full is either IN or PB, meaning input or USB playback. Also, what do you have the gain knob set to on the inputs?  I usually have mine set around 10 or 11 o'clock.  Being that you are getting very little activity on the SIG LED, it does sound like the pre-amps aren't functioning properly. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Mix knob turned all the way to the right/clockwise. I still have to check input level outside my DAW (will do when home from work today).

My input gains I have turned all the way up/right then backed off just a hair. I get faint white noise and hum with the input gain turned up all the way to the stop. I noticed the noise when turned all the way up with instrument plugged in, but don't recall if it's there with no instrument plugged in. Same noise on input 1 and input 2 though. 

Hi Ron, 

Once final test before we declare the interface defective.  Can you rotate the mix knob fully counter-clockwise to "IN", make sure the MON A/B button is not pressed (A), and then try to monitor at the headphone jack.  The volume for the headphone jack is just above the jack. 

Beyond that I say it's bad and you should return it and get another one.  

Ken