Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

UMC204HD - Novice user advice

Hello!

I have just acquired a used UMC204HD which had a broken USB-B connector (the inside the port plastic portion). Since I am quite comfortable with electronics repairs, etc., I attempted and successfully replaced the USB port.

So now, I am able to connect the device to my PC and (after of course downloading the latest 4.38 driver) I see the power led come on and the device immediately recognized by the computer.

The controls, all of them, seem to be working fine, I tried a dynamic mic in input 1 and simultaneously tried a condenser mic (with the 48V phantom power switch on) and that also works fine, I can hear both mics concurrently through the earphones.

The reason I am posting this is because I have no idea how to use this device! I understand that I can plug pretty much anything in these two inputs (instruments, microphones, line level audio, etc.) and then record that into a software program in my computer but have no clue how.

The question is what do I need to get in order to be able to do that and if Behringer still provides (and how?) a free copy of DAW and/or podcasting software to a used purchased device. For now my interest is to record voice over a music "bed" for a basic podcast I want to do. Perhaps later I can attempt to record instruments and singing.

Also, I was wondering, given the history of the device, if and how I should perform a full functionality test. So far it looks like there is nothing wrong with it and the only repair it needed was a new USB port. Perhaps though I should do some kind of tests to verify if everything works fine.

Finally, I understand that besides the Behringer provided driver (which I am currently using) there is another one, the ASIO4ALL, but I have not been able to assess which one I should use for better performance, when and why. I found and downloaded a user manual but it does not cover that.

If you could please help me get started I would be so much obliged. No need to write everything up from scratch, please direct me to the appropriate links online, I will do the homework from there.

Btw, I use interchangeably the latest version of Windows Pro 10 and/or Windows 7 professional and my PC hardware exceeds the device requirements.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank you so much
Dimi Pana
Tags (2)
DimiPana Contributor - Level 2 2018-04-03

2018-04-03

UMC204HD - Novice user advice

Hello!

I have just acquired a used UMC204HD which had a broken USB-B connector (the inside the port plastic portion). Since I am quite comfortable with electronics repairs, etc., I attempted and successfully replaced the USB port.

So now, I am able to connect the device to my PC and (after of course downloading the latest 4.38 driver) I see the power led come on and the device immediately recognized by the computer.

The controls, all of them, seem to be working fine, I tried a dynamic mic in input 1 and simultaneously tried a condenser mic (with the 48V phantom power switch on) and that also works fine, I can hear both mics concurrently through the earphones.

The reason I am posting this is because I have no idea how to use this device! I understand that I can plug pretty much anything in these two inputs (instruments, microphones, line level audio, etc.) and then record that into a software program in my computer but have no clue how.

The question is what do I need to get in order to be able to do that and if Behringer still provides (and how?) a free copy of DAW and/or podcasting software to a used purchased device. For now my interest is to record voice over a music "bed" for a basic podcast I want to do. Perhaps later I can attempt to record instruments and singing.

Also, I was wondering, given the history of the device, if and how I should perform a full functionality test. So far it looks like there is nothing wrong with it and the only repair it needed was a new USB port. Perhaps though I should do some kind of tests to verify if everything works fine.

Finally, I understand that besides the Behringer provided driver (which I am currently using) there is another one, the ASIO4ALL, but I have not been able to assess which one I should use for better performance, when and why. I found and downloaded a user manual but it does not cover that.

If you could please help me get started I would be so much obliged. No need to write everything up from scratch, please direct me to the appropriate links online, I will do the homework from there.

Btw, I use interchangeably the latest version of Windows Pro 10 and/or Windows 7 professional and my PC hardware exceeds the device requirements.

Thank you so much

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: UMC204HD - Novice user advice

Hi Dimi,

Welcome to the forums. Please see my comments inline.

Ken

DimiPana;143460 wrote:
Hello!

Since the unit is used I don't think you'll be able to register it to get the free Tracktion T7 but T6 is free to download. In fact, there are many DAWs that are free or have free versions. Some only have free time limited trials of the full version. What I'd recommend it to try out several DAWs to see what you like as they all have similar yet different workflows. Audacity is one I know if very popular but I personally find it to be confusing and it's files not portable to other DAWs. It also does not support ASIO out of the box. Also, I did a Google search for "podcasting DAW" and "podcasting software" and came up with a lot to read. I personally use Reaper for both studio and live broadcast work.

I'd start by building yourself a list of IOs and features you want to test so you can keep track of them and check off each one as you test it.
You'll need some type of an external signal generator, a pair of headphones, as well as a pair of studio monitors that take TRS and RCA connections.

Then you'd just input a signal, adjust the gain, verify you can monitor in stereo as well as mono and that you can record via USB. Repeat this process for the other input.

for the outputs, use a DAW to send a signal to each of the 4x USB outputs and then monitor at the headphones, RCA, and TRS jacks.

If a manufacturer provides ASIO drivers you should always use those vs. ASIO4ALL. ASIO4ALL is an emulation layer that sits on top of the WDM/WASPI OS drivers provided with Windows. It's meant to allow you to use a non-ASIO device with a DAW that requires ASIO.

Thank you so much

Switching back and forward between partitions can get confusing, particularly if you don't have a shared project partition. Just my opinion.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you!

Ken, thank you so much for your detailed response. I will take some time to follow your advice and will be back if needed. So far I am confident that the device I got is fully functional, I mean I tried both inputs with different sound sources, dyn. mic, cond. mic, electric/acoustic guitar, etc, and I can adjust gain fine, the pad works, I can hear the sound in mono and/or stereo in my headphones. I now have to find a DAW, connect some speakers and take it from there. If I understood correctly, I do not need to worry about the ASIO4ALL, the Behringer driver ver. 4.38 works fine (so far). So, I'll fiddle with it and post if I have any questions. One thing that Behringer could do better is providing a more detailed manual, I guess the one I downloaded online is the best that's out there, right? Thanks again very much for your time!!!
Dimi Pana
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: UMC204HD - Novice user advice

DimiPana;143545 wrote:
Ken, thank you so much for your detailed response. I will take some time to follow your advice and will be back if needed. So far I am confident that the device I got is fully functional, I mean I tried both inputs with different sound sources, dyn. mic, cond. mic, electric/acoustic guitar, etc, and I can adjust gain fine, the pad works, I can hear the sound in mono and/or stereo in my headphones. I now have to find a DAW, connect some speakers and take it from there. If I understood correctly, I do not need to worry about the ASIO4ALL, the Behringer driver ver. 4.38 works fine (so far). So, I'll fiddle with it and post if I have any questions. One thing that Behringer could do better is providing a more detailed manual, I guess the one I downloaded online is the best that's out there, right? Thanks again very much for your time!!!

Hi Dimi,

That is correct. Use the Behringer provided ASIO drivers.

If you want to get a better understanding of what the ASIO4ALL driver does, please read through this project briefing: http://www.asio4all.org/intro.html and then have a look at what WDM Audio is here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/introduction-to-wdm-audio-drivers.

That's probably more than you'd ever want to know so just refer to my first sentence and keep using the Behringer drivers. Smiley Happy

Yes, Behringer docs have been going downhill for the last 10 years or so.

For your 204HD you'll probably find this link interesting: http://www.cameratim.com/reviews/audio/behringer-u-phoria-umc404hd-audio-interface/. Even though it's for the 404HD they are the same with just two less input channels.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver