Contributor - Level 2

UMC204HD Vinyl Recording

Turntable: Sansui SR-212 (1974)

built-in rca > receiver input
Receiver: Toshiba SA-320 (1977)

rca male > 6.35mm input to insert 1 and 2 on interface rear
Audio Interface: Behringer U-Phoric UMC204HD

Recorded in Audacity 2.3.3 on Windows 10

Drivers are installed and microphone drop down in Audacity lists the input 1 and 2 (and also lists out 1-2 and out 3-4). Unless I've foolishly overlooked a basic setting, everything should be set.

UMC control panel doesn't help at all in guessing what may be wrong. I know the insert 1 and 2 inputs work, I tested on a previous cable that was male rca>male rca and split to 3.5mm and adapted to a single 6.35mm where I got left or right when testing a rip.

Please help me out, I'm new to interfaces.

BigRMusic Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-30

2019-11-30

UMC204HD Vinyl Recording

Turntable: Sansui SR-212 (1974)

built-in rca > receiver input
Receiver: Toshiba SA-320 (1977)

rca male > 6.35mm input to insert 1 and 2 on interface rear
Audio Interface: Behringer U-Phoric UMC204HD

Recorded in Audacity 2.3.3 on Windows 10

Drivers are installed and microphone drop down in Audacity lists the input 1 and 2 (and also lists out 1-2 and out 3-4). Unless I've foolishly overlooked a basic setting, everything should be set.

UMC control panel doesn't help at all in guessing what may be wrong. I know the insert 1 and 2 inputs work, I tested on a previous cable that was male rca>male rca and split to 3.5mm and adapted to a single 6.35mm where I got left or right when testing a rip.

Please help me out, I'm new to interfaces.

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Rising Star - Level 2

Re: UMC204HD Vinyl Recording

Hi @BigRMusic 

Are you taking the the receiver's output from the "Tape out"? And are your getting signal there?

That's how I would do it, although I have also take the signal directly from the turntable and applied the RIAA eq curve (Yeah, it technically not correct 😁).

Contributor - Level 2
Rising Star - Level 2

@BigRMusic 

Plug the cables from the receiver into the 204HD's Input 1 & 2 on the front of the interface. The insert is for processing the preamp's signal with an inserted external processor. These are TRS jack with input as Ring and output as Tip (or vice versa). You might be able to pull the plug out "one click" to get the cable's Tip to connect with the Ring.

Contributor - Level 2

Oh jeez, I didn't know I could plug them in front lol. That worked just fine. Thank you @DaveMorrison 

Contributor - Level 2

@DaveMorrison do you know much about spek readings? The reason I got the interface initially was to improve the readings I got in the spectrum, as I had intereference at 16k on every rip I had tried. This pic is one I just did with your help 

Do you know how to help this problem? It does this in all quality exports (16-32-bit, 44-192kHz)

Rising Star - Level 3

@BigRMusic 

Hi Ryan, 

I suspect that's coming from the coil in the turntable cartridge.  You do realize that's around -100dB?  

Sometimes computer analysis isn't all that useful. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

@KenMitchell yeah, the cartridge is my last upocoming change, everything else seems to be in order. I was advised to go after a Grado Black cartridge for my needs

Rising Star - Level 3

@BigRMusic  I'm kind of partial to the Ortofon myself but a Grado will serve you well.  

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver