Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

UMC204HD midi silent

Contributor - Level 3

I can't get the UMC204HD 192k MIDI Out to play to the speakers.  The only thing that plays to the speakers is the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: UMC204HD midi silent

Super Contributor - Level 2

@hojamoski wrote:

I should correct myslef. I did not see the MIDI Out LED blinking on my 204HD either while I was hearing the audio from the WT synth. 

I may have to reinstall Cakewalk to get the MS Wavetable settings back, because now I'm not hearing ANYTHING through Cakewalk.

I know there must be a way to do this. There has to be some sort of translator or something to convert MIDI data into sounds and play it out through the speakers on through the UMC204HD using a MIDI sequencer (Cakewalk).   I was doing that before in Cakewalk and that's exactly what the Windows Media Player does.  I want to hear other synths besides MS Wavetable.  

Hi @hojamoski , 

OK, so we can ignore the blinking MIDI OUT LED.  The "some sort of translator" that converts MIDI data into sounds is called a soft synthesizer/wavetable synthesizer or a sampler.  A MIDI sequencer just generates MIDI data as if it was coming from a MIDI controller. The MIDI data tells the synth/sampler what to play and how to play it. 

I don't think you need to re-install Cakewalk, you just need to create an instrument track and add a virtual instrument to that track.  Sorry again, but I don't use Cakewalk so I can't provide the specifics on how to do that in CW. 

Hope this helps,

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
7 REPLIES 7

@hojamoski , 

Welcome to the community.  Just to be clear, midi data is not audio.  MIDI is data that is used to communicate between devices that talk MIDI.   If you are sending midi data to the MIDI Out of the 204HD you'd need an external synthesizer or sampler connected to that output.  It would be the synth or sampler that would produce the audio.  

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 3

Thank you for your answer. 

I understand that about MIDI.   MIDI is data not audio.  But when Cakewalk and Windows Media Player are set to Microsoft GS Wavetable synth, the midi out on the UMC204HD is blinking and they also play through the speakers.  How do I get the other synths to play through the speakers? Or is that not possible?  Why does one synth (MS Wavetable) play sound through the speakers and the others don't?  So the one just says UMC204HD MIDI out.  So that does that mean it's only going through the MIDI out? 

Contributor - Level 3
Thank you for your answer.

I understand that about MIDI. MIDI is data not audio. But when Cakewalk and Windows Media Player are set to Microsoft GS Wavetable synth, the midi out on the UMC204HD is blinking and they also play through the speakers. How do I get the other synths to play through the speakers? Or is that not possible? Why does one synth (MS Wavetable) play sound through the speakers and the others don't? So the one just says UMC204HD MIDI out. So that does that mean it's only going through the MIDI out?

Hi @hojamoski , 

I'm not really familiar with Cakewalk and I've never used the GS midi synth but I suspect for other synths you need to place the synth on your MIDI track in Cakewalk and route the audio output of the track to either the 204HD or to the master tracks of the project which in turn would be routed to the 204HD. 

I wish I could be more help but I'm a long-time Reaper user.  Just as an aside, when I selected the Microsoft GS WT synth as a MIDI output device in Reaper, it appeared to be playing through the computer's WDM (Windows audio) outputs and not through Reaper's ASIO output.  In any case, I did not see the MIDI Out LED blinking on my 404HD while I was hearing the audio from the WT synth. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

Contributor - Level 3

I should correct myslef. I did not see the MIDI Out LED blinking on my 204HD either while I was hearing the audio from the WT synth. 

I may have to reinstall Cakewalk to get the MS Wavetable settings back, because now I'm not hearing ANYTHING through Cakewalk.

I know there must be a way to do this. There has to be some sort of translator or something to convert MIDI data into sounds and play it out through the speakers on through the UMC204HD using a MIDI sequencer (Cakewalk).   I was doing that before in Cakewalk and that's exactly what the Windows Media Player does.  I want to hear other synths besides MS Wavetable.  

@hojamoski wrote:

Hi @hojamoski , 

OK, so we can ignore the blinking MIDI OUT LED.  The "some sort of translator" that converts MIDI data into sounds is called a soft synthesizer/wavetable synthesizer or a sampler.  A MIDI sequencer just generates MIDI data as if it was coming from a MIDI controller. The MIDI data tells the synth/sampler what to play and how to play it. 

I don't think you need to re-install Cakewalk, you just need to create an instrument track and add a virtual instrument to that track.  Sorry again, but I don't use Cakewalk so I can't provide the specifics on how to do that in CW. 

Hope this helps,

Ken

Contributor - Level 3
Ken,
I appreciate your responses. I know what I want to do, but I needed to know the names of the devices/software. Thank you for having patience with this newbie. I am not sure if I could call myself a newbie because I've been doing this sort of thing on and off since the DOS days. I'm back into doing it after several years and need to reacquaint myself with the terms and the new hardware and new software.

Many thanks!
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors