Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

UMC22 - feeding signal to PC via wrong output?

Contributor - Level 1
I recently bought a Behringer UMC22 for use with a Behringer C-1 microphone. After connecting the unit to my PC everything seemed to be working OK. The mic was receiving phantom power and I was able to record its output on my Windows 10 PC. However, I couldn't help noticing that the PC's headphone monitoring was muted - just as it had been when I used a USB mic.

My suspicions were further aroused when I noticed that changing the Output and Direct Monitor controls on the box seemed to make no difference to the sound I was recording. They were confirmed when I removed the audio output lead from the unit and found that audio from the mic could still be recorded. The PC was not receiving (or not acknowledging receipt) of the signal via the soundcard, but was instead taking it from the USB connection, which I had assumed merely to be a power supply for the UMC22.

The sound quality on the recordings is OK. There is a little bit of background hiss, but this is far less than I experienced with the old USB mic. So my questions are:

1. How can I persuade the PC to stop using the USB audio and take the audio output from the interface instead?

2. Will doing so result in significantly better audio quality and/or lower background noise?
2 REPLIES

Re: UMC22 - feeding signal to PC via wrong output?

Contributor - Level 3
Lee Mendham;160030 wrote:
I recently bought a Behringer UMC22 for use with a Behringer C-1 microphone. After connecting the unit to my PC everything seemed to be working OK. The mic was receiving phantom power and I was able to record its output on my Windows 10 PC. However, I couldn't help noticing that the PC's headphone monitoring was muted - just as it had been when I used a USB mic.

My suspicions were further aroused when I noticed that changing the Output and Direct Monitor controls on the box seemed to make no difference to the sound I was recording. They were confirmed when I removed the audio output lead from the unit and found that audio from the mic could still be recorded. The PC was not receiving (or not acknowledging receipt) of the signal via the soundcard, but was instead taking it from the USB connection, which I had assumed merely to be a power supply for the UMC22.

The sound quality on the recordings is OK. There is a little bit of background hiss, but this is far less than I experienced with the old USB mic. So my questions are:

1. How can I persuade the PC to stop using the USB audio and take the audio output from the interface instead?

2. Will doing so result in significantly better audio quality and/or lower background noise?

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forums. The UMC22 is a 2 in x 2 out audio interface that uses USB to record and playback audio. It sounds like you have the outputs of the UMC22 connected to a soundcard in your PC and you want to record that? Is that correct?

In order to get sound to come out the outputs of the interface you would have to play something from the PC through that interface and then set your DAW to record from the soundcard. With all the analog to digital conversions in that path I'm sure the sound quality would suffer so I wouldn't recommend that.

Also, you may be tempted to connect the headphones output to the PC soundcard but that output is way too hot of a signal level for a soundcard input. I'm sure the USB audio quality is much higher than what would be recorded from a soundcard.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Re: UMC22 - feeding signal to PC via wrong output?

Contributor - Level 1
OK, Ken, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors