Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

UMC22 headphone issue (not interface issue

Contributor - Level 2
Hi guys,
i'm running a weird issue on my new umc22.
while the sound (playback) through speakers its excellent, when i use headphones i get a very karaokish sound (no vocals). headphones tested on my wifed pc and are ok. reinstalled both asio and usb drivers with no luck. tested audio interface on another pc and its working flawlessly. audio enhancements are off. i'm running out of ideas here.
Can anyone help?
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6

Re: UMC22 headphone issue (not interface issue

Contributor - Level 2
it seems there is some kind of phase cancellation. from win 10 sound settings when i put one channel to 0 and the other to 100 i can hear the vocals but the sound coming out its mono.
i tried 2 other audio interfaces i have around and all doing the same, headphones etc tested on my wife's pc and working flawlessly .so i doubt its an audio interface issue. forgot to mention that the issue appeared 3 days ago... and i'm not sure if it was right after a window update. anyway i did an uninstall of the last updates just to be sure and issue remains.

Contributor - Level 3
Harris Hatzianestis;160122 wrote:
it seems there is some kind of phase cancellation. from win 10 sound settings when i put one channel to 0 and the other to 100 i can hear the vocals but the sound coming out its mono.
i tried 2 other audio interfaces i have around and all doing the same, headphones etc tested on my wife's pc and working flawlessly .so i doubt its an audio interface issue. forgot to mention that the issue appeared 3 days ago... and i'm not sure if it was right after a window update. anyway i did an uninstall of the last updates just to be sure and issue remains.

Hi Harris,

Welcome to the forums. Just to make sure I understand. You said that you tested the audio interface on another computer? Does that mean you moved everything, the USB cable, the UMC22, and headphones to another computer and they work fine?

Time to start trolling the Microsoft Win10 forums?

EDIT: Can you post a screen capture of your Audio Input and Outputs in Device Manager?

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Ken.
Thanks for looking into this.
to answer your question, yes i moved everything from on pc to another and everything works flawlessly.
I've also tried my wifes audio interface (m-audio, cant remember model though) on my pc and i have the exact same problem.
Problem appeared around 5 days ago. Checked for win10 updates back then and i've noticed that i had 1 security update and one flash player update on 3-Feb, i removeed the security update to check if it fix the issue but with no luck.
. I will post pictures when i get back home from work.
Thanks again

Contributor - Level 2
Hi again,
this is how Audio Input and Outputs looks in Device Manager

Contributor - Level 3
Harris Hatzianestis;160162 wrote:
Hi again,
this is how Audio Input and Outputs looks in Device Manager

Hi Harris,

According to a post from Michael Lapke from over a year ago, the 2.8.40 drivers do not work correctly with Windows 10. Not sure how this would affect a different interface but he does state that the chipset used on the UMC22 is fairly common.

Here's the post: https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?9509-Windows-10-UMC-22&p=132375&viewfull=1#post132375

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the info
I've allready read that thread,
Though its not about the same issue, with asio4all drivers installed i get the same issue.
I havent tried to install it with the order Alex suggest but i will give it a shot later today.
Im not sure if this causes the problem, but it seems that after the last last win10 update the sound settings was changed to surround(5.1 or 7.1?) and since i dont use a center (vocal) speaker and a sub i dont get any vocals and also have most of the bass frequencies are cut off.
the weird think its that i'm having the exact same issue with my old usb audio interface which was working perfect until the last updates..
I currently triyng to find a way to check registry and make sure sound is set to stereo.
Also i've allready contacted Microsoft about that to see if they have any suggestions.
thanks
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors