Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

UMC404HD Feedback

So I'm using my UMC404HD with ableton live. I have 2 mics going into inputs 1 and 2 and I have a guitar and a bass plugged into inputs 3 and 4, respectively. I also have a keyboard plugged into the midi import. When my band gets together to jam and record, it sounds absolutely fantastic except for a huge scratching feedback that occurs around once every 3 minutes. I don't know if this is an issue with either the mics or the instruments but the feedback is never audible on the midi track. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please let me know. Other than the occasional feedback, my 404HD is working like a charm and sounds fantastic.
HaydenOrth Contributor - Level 1 2017-08-15

2017-08-15

UMC404HD Feedback

So I'm using my UMC404HD with ableton live. I have 2 mics going into inputs 1 and 2 and I have a guitar and a bass plugged into inputs 3 and 4, respectively. I also have a keyboard plugged into the midi import. When my band gets together to jam and record, it sounds absolutely fantastic except for a huge scratching feedback that occurs around once every 3 minutes. I don't know if this is an issue with either the mics or the instruments but the feedback is never audible on the midi track. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please let me know. Other than the occasional feedback, my 404HD is working like a charm and sounds fantastic.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Triber Moderator

Re: UMC404HD Feedback

Hi Hayden, welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new UMC404HD audio interface for the most part! Question for you: When you say this "feedback" happens, are you monitoring the sound through headphones? Or are you monitoring using the MAIN LR or Playback A Outputs of the unit?

If the problem is indeed feedback and you are monitoring your signals using the MAIN LR or Playback A Outputs then this might be easily fixed by adjusting the placement of your microphones in relation to where your speakers are. Reason being that whenever your microphones are in direct line of where the speaker is projecting sound, then you have the potential to cause unwanted feedback loop.

Hope this helps resolve the issue, please keep us posted. Smiley Wink
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 1

UMC404HD Feedback

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

I'm using headphones but I don't have them plugged into my interface I'm just using the built in output on my MacBook. I don't have anything plugged into my interface for output. But the problem isn't in my headphones it's in the recordings. I hear the feedback while we record and then that same feedback is there in the audio tracks when I play the recording back.

Could it be possibly that I'm overloading my computer? It's a MacBook Pro so it's certainly not a desktop. The sound sounds similar to when I've overloaded my computer in the past but I've never had it happen this frequently. I am recording five tracks at once though, so this may be the case.

Do you have any ideas for how I can decrease the load on my computer while I still record five tracks at once? Could I decrease the sample rate?
Triber Moderator

Re: UMC404HD Feedback

Can you please post a sample (or link) of this "feedback" that gets recorded? I'm now wondering if you actually mean distortion or clipping instead of feedback, since there's no way for a feedback loop to be happening without feeding the recorded signal back into your Audio Interface the way you are telling me everything is setup.
Michael Lapke