Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

UMC404HD L/R Balance wrong

Contributor - Level 1
I got a UMC404HD for Christmas and just now had a chance to hook it up to my monitors (through 1/4" Main Out jacks).

The stereo image is well to the left of center for some reason. Other sources are centered just fine, so it's not the monitors. I'm using a mac and system preferences doesn't give me an option to adjust the balance - what can I do to fix this?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: UMC404HD L/R Balance wrong

Contributor - Level 3
Cole Summersell;160221 wrote:
I got a UMC404HD for Christmas and just now had a chance to hook it up to my monitors (through 1/4" Main Out jacks).

The stereo image is well to the left of center for some reason. Other sources are centered just fine, so it's not the monitors. I'm using a mac and system preferences doesn't give me an option to adjust the balance - what can I do to fix this?

Hi Cole,

Welcome to the forums. Can you provide a little more info on your setup and what you are playing to reproduce this? Note that the 404HD is a 4x4 audio interface, not a 2x stereo interface. Inputs 1 and 3 go to Left and Inputs 2 and 4 go to Right. The same goes for playbacks. PB1 goes to Left and PB2 goes to Right through the MIX knob.

You might find this diagram useful: https://github.com/mcnster/umc-404hd-signal-path/blob/master/umc404hd.pdf

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 1
Hi Ken - thanks for the response.

I should clarify I'm talking about listening to mixes/other audio from my mac (through logic and itunes, etc.). Basically in use at this point as a DAC to pass audio straight to my monitors, with the mix dial all the way to PB (playback).

In playback mode, left channel (of the 1/4" unbalanced MAIN OUT) is getting a bit more juice, skewing the stereo image enough that it makes mixing counterproductive. Is there a way to reset the unit to even it out?

Hope this is enough clarification - using a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" and the latest version of Logic, though the problem is present regardless of the source (youtube, itunes, etc).

Contributor - Level 3
Cole Summersell;160236 wrote:
Hi Ken - thanks for the response.

I should clarify I'm talking about listening to mixes/other audio from my mac (through logic and itunes, etc.). Basically in use at this point as a DAC to pass audio straight to my monitors, with the mix dial all the way to PB (playback).

In playback mode, left channel (of the 1/4" unbalanced MAIN OUT) is getting a bit more juice, skewing the stereo image enough that it makes mixing counterproductive. Is there a way to reset the unit to even it out?

Hope this is enough clarification - using a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" and the latest version of Logic, though the problem is present regardless of the source (youtube, itunes, etc).

Hi Cole,

That makes it clear. I don't know of any reset nor balance adjustments on the playback outputs. I've heard rumors that the 404HD outputs might be a little weak but I don't recall ever hearing about them being out of balance.

It sounds like you are using the RCA connectors? Do your monitors support a balanced TRS connection? If so, can you try that? If not, can you try swapping the cables around on the 404HD end only. This will make your monitors backwards but it will help us determine if it's an output issue or possibly a cable issue.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors