Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

UMC404HD driver problem?

Contributor - Level 2
I bought UMC404HD last week and I'm loving it so far. But I have problem that may be related to drivers (I'm using Windows driver 4.38).
Usually, everything works like a charm, but then, after hour or two, sound just disappears and my PC can't load audio or video clips. (e.g. I can't load videos on YouTube, neither sound files from my HDD). When I unplug the UMC404HD, and plug it back in, everything works fine again.
I'm using Windows 7 (64 bit).
Tags (1)
21 REPLIES

Re: UMC404HD driver problem?

Contributor - Level 3
Ruben Betlehem;150880 wrote:
I bought UMC404HD last week and I'm loving it so far. But I have problem that may be related to drivers (I'm using Windows driver 4.38).
Usually, everything works like a charm, but then, after hour or two, sound just disappears and my PC can't load audio or video clips. (e.g. I can't load videos on YouTube, neither sound files from my HDD). When I unplug the UMC404HD, and plug it back in, everything works fine again.
I'm using Windows 7 (64 bit).

Hi Ruben,

Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have another audio program running in the background that my be switching the bitrate on you. Do you have any other audio device drivers installed on your system? Particularly notorious for causing issues like this are the NVIDIA HD audio drivers that get installed when you install graphics card drivers.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
I have the exact same problem but on Windows 10, i have the nVidia HD Audio drivers installed. How do you suggest to fix this? Windows 10 will reinstall them by itself when i uninstall them. I don't see disabling Windows 10 driver updates as an acceptable sollution.

Greets,
Marcel

Contributor - Level 3
Marcel de Vries;150936 wrote:
I have the exact same problem but on Windows 10, i have the nVidia HD Audio drivers installed. How do you suggest to fix this? Windows 10 will reinstall them by itself when i uninstall them. I don't see disabling Windows 10 driver updates as an acceptable sollution.

Greets,
Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Welcome to the forums. I'll have to check with my son on how he "fixed" this on his computer. I seem to recall he completely de-installed the NVIDIA drivers and then re-installed them while de-selecting the HD audio. You should also be able to "disable" the device in Device Manager which should keep the drivers from re-installing.

I'll check with him tonight and post an update.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Ken Mitchell;150886 wrote:
Hi Ruben,

Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have another audio program running in the background that my be switching the bitrate on you. Do you have any other audio device drivers installed on your system? Particularly notorious for causing issues like this are the NVIDIA HD audio drivers that get installed when you install graphics card drivers.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Thank you for your response, Ken.
I believe that you're right. I had Realtek audio drivers installed, so I uninstalled them and managed to block automatic driver update. For now, everything works flawlessly...

Contributor - Level 2
I managed to uninstall the nVidia drivers and disabled the device in the device manager. After a reboot i ran into the same troubles again immediately, after a second reboot everything works just fine. I'll keep you updated if my problems returns, thanks!

Contributor - Level 3
Marcel de Vries;150998 wrote:
I managed to uninstall the nVidia drivers and disabled the device in the device manager. After a reboot i ran into the same troubles again immediately, after a second reboot everything works just fine. I'll keep you updated if my problems returns, thanks!

Ruben and Marcel,

I checked with my son and he not only uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers and reinstalled without the HD Audio, he disabled the device, AND he also uninstalled and reinstalled the UMC 4.38 drivers. In essence he did a double reboot as well so that may be part of the fix.

Glad to hear things are working again.

Ken

Contributor - Level 2
Unfortunately my problems are still there, i opened a youtube video and all sound was gone. I had to unplug my UMC202HD and plug it back in before my sound returned. So i guess the nVidia drivers aren't the problem, i still think the drivers from Behringer are the problem. Having the nVidia drivers installed never caused a problem with any sound card i used before.

Contributor - Level 3
Marcel de Vries;151010 wrote:
Unfortunately my problems are still there, i opened a youtube video and all sound was gone. I had to unplug my UMC202HD and plug it back in before my sound returned. So i guess the nVidia drivers aren't the problem, i still think the drivers from Behringer are the problem. Having the nVidia drivers installed never caused a problem with any sound card i used before.

Hi Marcel,

It's likely still a conflict just possibly with another driver or other piece of software. Do you have anything else under 'Sound, video, and game controllers' in Device Manager? A program called "Steam Link" has been known to cause this. Remember, since the UMC is an audio interface, not a sound card, you can only have one program at a time telling it what bitrate and bit depth to use.

There's been many posts like this in the past and it's never been found to be the Behringer drivers in the end (at least in the recent past).

Ken

Contributor - Level 1
Hi everybody,

I have the same problem with the UMC204HD. It's especially a problem when I'm using my computer for a call. I had it for a few months, but I think it was fine before so this could be affected maybe by some Windows/NVIDIA update?

Anyway, just disabling other sound controllers works - no uninstalling needed and won't work longer than till the next reboot. But that is just a workaround since I need to use the NVIDIA HD driver for the sound transferred via HDMI.

Is anybody from the company still hanging around? Is there any possibility this could be addressed by the software? Do we know precisely what's the problem? Worst case I could maybe write some utility for this if possible.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors