Contributor - Level 2

UMC404HD is not working for MEMS microphone. No audio input.

I have just purchased a new UMC 404HD. I want to do multiple-channel recording using two small-scale MEMS microphones with 3.5mm TRS. When I used the 3.5mm-1/4 TRS adapter to plug in the microphones to the UMC 404HD, my macbook can regonize the UMC404HD device with 4 channel inputs, but there is no audio signal, even if I turn the gain knob all the way to the right, there still no signal. I am not sure what is the problem. 

truebluegy Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-07

2019-11-07

UMC404HD is not working for MEMS microphone. No audio input.

I have just purchased a new UMC 404HD. I want to do multiple-channel recording using two small-scale MEMS microphones with 3.5mm TRS. When I used the 3.5mm-1/4 TRS adapter to plug in the microphones to the UMC 404HD, my macbook can regonize the UMC404HD device with 4 channel inputs, but there is no audio signal, even if I turn the gain knob all the way to the right, there still no signal. I am not sure what is the problem. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: UMC404HD is not working for MEMS microphone. No audio input.

@truebluegy 

Hi Yang, welcome to the forum.

What make/model of mics are you using? MEMS microphones normally need a power supply whch will not be present on the UMC404HD. How are you supplying the power?

Valued Contributor - Level 2

@truebluegy , @RexBeckett , 

It sounds like these Mics come with an XLR to 3.5mm cable that gets what is called "soundcard power' from the audio jack on a computer.  In order to use these with the 404HD, you need to use an XLR Female to XLR Male cable between the mic and interface and you need to turn on +48V power on the back of the 404HD. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Tags (2)
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your suggestion. These mics directly come with 3.5mm TRS, like a headphone audio jack. I will get 3.5mm TRS female to XLR male cable and have a try. Will let you know the result. Thanks a lot!

@truebluegy 

BE CAREFUL CONNECTING TO +48V PHANTOM POWER.

Can you post the make/model of the Mics before you make any connections.  It's possible that they only work with "soundcard power" which is +5V. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

@KenMitchell  The mics are MS-TFB-2 made by Sound Professional. I really appreciate ur help! 

Hi @truebluegy , 

As I suspected, that mic only works with "soundcard" or "plugin" power which is +12V. 

In order to use it with a 404HD, you need to add a power supply for the mics and then a stereo TRS to dual mono splitter going into the 404HD. 

Here's a link to the battery module for those mics: https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-10

You'll then need a TRSF to either XLR or TS going to the 404HD: https://hosatech.com/products/analog-audio/stereo-breakouts/hosa-breakouts/ymp-434/

Hope this helps,

Ken

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

@KenMitchell  oh, I see.  Thanks for your help!