Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

USB cable choice for X18 recording

Will this work for the X-18: USB port to mini USB port (on Android Tablet)?

Does this cable have to have dedicated ends?  That is, will X-18 fail to connect if a mini USB to printer cable adaptor is added to a standard USB cable?

When I first connected the X18 to a DAW computer, it failed to connect  with two at the same time: a regular USB cable, and a printer cable adaptor.  One dedicated cable solved the problem. 

I use a 30 foot USB cable.  Is there a powered hub that will take the mini USB, or the square USB printer connection?

wadrum Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-28

2019-08-28

USB cable choice for X18 recording

Will this work for the X-18: USB port to mini USB port (on Android Tablet)?

Does this cable have to have dedicated ends?  That is, will X-18 fail to connect if a mini USB to printer cable adaptor is added to a standard USB cable?

When I first connected the X18 to a DAW computer, it failed to connect  with two at the same time: a regular USB cable, and a printer cable adaptor.  One dedicated cable solved the problem. 

I use a 30 foot USB cable.  Is there a powered hub that will take the mini USB, or the square USB printer connection?

Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: USB cable choice for X18 recording

Hi Warren, 

I'm going to use proper USB connector terminology so you can Google it. 

A USB Type A Male to Micro Type B Male cable will not work to connect to the X18.  That cable is what is used when you want the tablet to connect to a computer as a client.   In this case, what you want is for the tablet to act as a host.    The first thing you need to check is that your tablet supports OTG (on-the-go).  Most do these days. Then you'll need to get an OTG micro USB Type B Male to USB Type A Female cable.   Here's a link to the one I use with my Samsung Galaxe View: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9724

Now that you have a USB "port" on your tablet you'll need to connect the X18 to it.  The 30 foot length is also something that needs to be addressed.   Since the tablet won't be able to provide enough power on its USB port for the X18, you'll need to attach a powered hub to the Type A Female "port". The tricky part with this is that not all hub chipsets are supported by Android OS.  Here's the one I use and Plugable is known for making Android compatible USB devices. https://plugable.com/products/usb2-hub10c2/

Lastly, we need to address the 30 foot length.  The USB 2.0 spec says maximum cable length for USB 2.0 is 5 meters or 16.7 feet.   What you'll need is an "active" USB cable to go further than that.  Here's a link to one that I use and I've never had a problem with it: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7531

You'd connect this cable to your X18 and then plug it into the powered hub. 

BTW, What recording software are you going to use?  If you haven't seen it, take a look at Audio Evolution Mobile Studio.  I have no affiliation with them. I just like their app.  

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver