Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Upgrading to X Air 18

Good Day

I am thinking of upgrading to the X Air 18 unit and need to know a few things...

Will Tracktion 7 work well with the unit....or what is the best recording software...
will I be able to control the X Air 18 with the computer software to set individual channels...
DanGallant Contributor - Level 2 2018-11-07

2018-11-07

Upgrading to X Air 18

Good Day

I am thinking of upgrading to the X Air 18 unit and need to know a few things...

Will Tracktion 7 work well with the unit....or what is the best recording software...
will I be able to control the X Air 18 with the computer software to set individual channels...

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Upgrading to X Air 18

I don’t have experience with tracktion, but most recording software seems fine. Reaper is pretty much free. Pretty much any DAW that is CoreAudio compliant (mac) or asio compliant (windows) should be fine.

You can control the xr18 with Edit. There is also some midi implementation for scene changes, faders, mutes, and pans that could be managed directly from the daw. You can also do some osc over sysex if the daw supports it, and you can be bothered programming it.
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Dan,

I thought you had an X32. If so, I wouldn't consider an XR18 or X18 an upgrade - more like a big brother, small brother scenario. As Craig mentioned, a lot of us are using Reaper and really like it. Registering and paying for the license ($60 US for 2 major versions) is on the honour system, but well worth it IMO. The trial version is the full version (with a small nag screen to buy at the beginning).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Super Contributor - Level 1

CAVEAT...I have not tried this myself, but there is an app in the "Third Party" section that is free and will record all channels of XR-18. It allows you to select which channels to record and there are a LOT of entries in this thread. Apparently as late as two weeks ago where it looks like some issues were fixed.

Here is the link:
https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?8118-XR18-Recording-MIXTOOLS
Behringer XR18, Xtouch, PM16. PA and Recording using Studio One Pro.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the input

Thank you all for the info......
I have an X air 16 right now..
Im looking to upgrade to an X Air 18
and do some band recording in my studio....
Dont need much more...
Just need to keep channels separated so
was on the fence on X Air 18 or Tascam Digital recorder..
Volunteer Moderator

Dan Gallant;154778 wrote:
I have an X air 16 right now..

Evidently my database (memory) needs "refreshing" Smiley Wink

was on the fence on X Air 18 or Tascam Digital recorder..

Are you thinking of getting the X18 or XR18? I would go for the XR18
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Thinking

I was thinking x Air 18 Paul........I just need to know if I go with the X air 18 will I be able to record separate channels with Tracktion 7 OR Reaper daw software.......??
Thanks
Dan
Volunteer Moderator

Most definitely Dan. The X18, XR18 and MR18 provides an ASIO 18x18 interface that works great with Reaper. I've produced 2 CDs (for a Catholic worship team as fundraisers) with the XR18 (for the first CD) and MR18 (for the second one) and Reaper.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks

Thanks Paul...going to invest in the X Air 18.....