Contributor - Level 2

Using Channels 17/18 (AUX) for break music

My band did its first live show with our own system the other night. I tried to play break music and was only getting half of any tune I tried to play through an iOS app.

What I tried to use was a Logictech BT Adapter with 2 RCA jacks which I plugged into it a dual RCA to a single 1/4" jack cord, plugged this into 17 or 18 and only got 1/2 of the song.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to turn off Stereo on those jacks from the X-AIR side?

Thanks!
MichaelAngelo Contributor - Level 2 2018-04-22

2018-04-22

Using Channels 17/18 (AUX) for break music

My band did its first live show with our own system the other night. I tried to play break music and was only getting half of any tune I tried to play through an iOS app.

What I tried to use was a Logictech BT Adapter with 2 RCA jacks which I plugged into it a dual RCA to a single 1/4" jack cord, plugged this into 17 or 18 and only got 1/2 of the song.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to turn off Stereo on those jacks from the X-AIR side?

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Using Channels 17/18 (AUX) for break music

Inputs17/18 are balanced TRS. When you feed them an unbalanced stereo signal to one of them, you get a whole lot of cancellation.

Secondly, input17+18 are two inputs to a fixed stereo channel. 17 goes left, 18 goes right. The Pan control on the channel is actually a balance control.

A 2x RCA>2x1/4" TS cable plugged into 17+18 will get you what you need.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Craig! Could you verify that this is what I need? Some say TRS / TS / MONO. I just want to make sure.

https://www.amazon.com/PD-R1415-Dual-Male-Mono-Cable/dp/B017Y470WA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1524488136...
Contributor - Level 2

That's the right one
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!
Contributor - Level 2

Could anyone explain the TS / TSR stuff? I'm assuming that MONO on each side completes the stereo signal, but what is the meaning of TS and TSR?

Thanks.
Volunteer Moderator

Michael Angelo;144568 wrote:
Could anyone explain the TS / TSR stuff? I'm assuming that MONO on each side completes the stereo signal, but what is the meaning of TS and TSR?

T=Tip
R=Ring
S=Sleeve
This is terminology dates back to the old step-by-step telephone technology (eg. Lillian Tomlin "One ringy dingy"). The signal is attached to the tip (left for stereo, +signal for balanced) and the shield is attached to the sleeve. But the ring can be either the right (stereo) or -signal (same signal but 180 degrees out of phase - for balanced).

The TS only has the two elements for a mono (unbalanced) signal.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

It is an indication of the connector type.
Basicly it is a 1/4 inch (6,3 mm) Jack plug.

T = Tip
S = Sleeve (Shield)
R = Ring

TS is the type with only Tip and Sleeve, so 2 pins to connect.
TSR is the type with also Tip and Sleeve, but with a ring between them, so 3 pins to connect.

TS is for example your guitar cable.
TSR is for example your headphone cable (Tip = L, Ring = R).
Contributor - Level 3

It is actually TRS, not TSR, as posted correctly earlier in the tread but transposed in the last few posts. So the connection designation is in order of connection from the Tip via the Ring and finally the Sleeve.