Super Contributor - Level 2

Using the Powerplay P2 for Wired IEM

There are often questions on this forum about how best to run wired IEM from an XR. Opinions are divided... The recently introduced Behringer Powerplay P2 makes this a lot easier. The P2 is a compact, battery-operated headphone amplifier. It can drive most types of IEMs or headphones without placing abnormal loads on the XR's outputs. It is also quite easy to connect using, mostly, standard cables. Here are some of the possibilities:

Mono feed from an XLR Aux output
Switch the P2 to Mono. Connect to the Aux output using a standard (balanced) XLR cable.

Mono feed from a TRS Aux output
Switch the P2 to Mono. Connect to the Aux output using a standard (balanced) TRS to XLR-M cable. You could also use a TRS to TRS cable.

Stereo feed from the Phones output
Switch the P2 to Stereo. Connect to the Phones output using a standard (balanced) TRS to XLR-M cable. You could also use a TRS to TRS cable.

Stereo feed from two XLR Aux outputs
Switch the P2 to Stereo. Connect to the two Aux outputs using a stereo XLR cable (see attached). These are sometimes called Insert cables. They are not the same as Splitter cables. They are quite easy to make but are also available in various lengths from here. You want the type: XLR Male to DUAL XLR-F.

Stereo feed from two TRS Aux outputs
Switch the P2 to Stereo. Connect to the two Aux outputs using a TRS Insert cable. e.g. Insert Cable. Ideally you would use dual TS to XLR-M to allow for easy cable extension but these are not common so may need to be special order or DIY. There is a European source.

Feeding Multiple P2s
The P2 has a high (bridging) input impedance so, if you can persuade some band members to have the same monitor mix, you could save Aux outputs by running them from the same one. In this case you would need one or more XLR Splitter cables - one XLR-F feeding two XLR-Ms. Available from here but this time the type is: XLR Female to Y Splitter XLR-M. You could run up to twenty P2s from one mono or stereo feed without any loading issues.

The Fischer Amps In-ear Stick appears to be functionally the same as the P2.
RexBeckett Super Contributor - Level 2 2017-12-21

2017-12-21

Using the Powerplay P2 for Wired IEM

There are often questions on this forum about how best to run wired IEM from an XR. Opinions are divided... The recently introduced Behringer Powerplay P2 makes this a lot easier. The P2 is a compact, battery-operated headphone amplifier. It can drive most types of IEMs or headphones without placing abnormal loads on the XR's outputs. It is also quite easy to connect using, mostly, standard cables. Here are some of the possibilities:

Mono feed from an XLR Aux output
Switch the P2 to Mono. Connect to the Aux output using a standard (balanced) XLR cable.

Mono feed from a TRS Aux output
Switch the P2 to Mono. Connect to the Aux output using a standard (balanced) TRS to XLR-M cable. You could also use a TRS to TRS cable.

Switch the P2 to Stereo. Connect to the Phones output using a standard (balanced) TRS to XLR-M cable. You could also use a TRS to TRS cable.

Stereo feed from two XLR Aux outputs
Switch the P2 to Stereo. Connect to the two Aux outputs using a stereo XLR cable (see attached). These are sometimes called Insert cables. They are not the same as Splitter cables. They are quite easy to make but are also available in various lengths from here. You want the type: XLR Male to DUAL XLR-F.

Stereo feed from two TRS Aux outputs
Switch the P2 to Stereo. Connect to the two Aux outputs using a TRS Insert cable. e.g. Insert Cable. Ideally you would use dual TS to XLR-M to allow for easy cable extension but these are not common so may need to be special order or DIY. There is a European source.

Feeding Multiple P2s
The P2 has a high (bridging) input impedance so, if you can persuade some band members to have the same monitor mix, you could save Aux outputs by running them from the same one. In this case you would need one or more XLR Splitter cables - one XLR-F feeding two XLR-Ms. Available from here but this time the type is: XLR Female to Y Splitter XLR-M. You could run up to twenty P2s from one mono or stereo feed without any loading issues.

The Fischer Amps In-ear Stick appears to be functionally the same as the P2.

• 1 Kudo
  • 17 Replies

Re: Using the Powerplay P2 for Wired IEM

Omitted from the previous post: Schematics of standard TRS Insert cable and better, but non-standard, XLR-M version.
Contributor - Level 2

Rex Beckett;137390 wrote:

If you were going to run headphones from the Phones output, you wouldn't need a separate amp. like the P2. In that case, the P1M would be better, or even just a long cable would be all that you would need.
Contributor - Level 2

Spence Woodford;137411 wrote:
If you were going to run headphones from the Phones output, you wouldn't need a separate amp. like the P2. In that case, the P1M would be better, or even just a long cable would be all that you would need.

For the price of the p2 compared to the pm1, I think its no-brainer to go for the p2. Its only like 10 bucks more and you get amplified for that. Im running 5 piece band and use the phones output for aux but had to buy an additional a TRS to xlr M to link the xlr to the fisher stick I use.

It actually costs more than the difference then the P2 minus the Pm1 cost as I had a bag of XLRs already.

great post Rex, thanks.
Contributor - Level 2

I shouldn't have confused matters by mentioning the PM1, and sorry for the typo on the product name/number in my previous post. The point I was trying to make is that for the Phones output only, no additional amplifier or volume control is required - the Phones output is already connected to a dedicated headphone amp inside the mixer, so all that is required in that case is a long headphone cable to feed the IEMs.

Should you wish to, you could use something like the PM1 to provide additional overall volume attenuation on your belt pack. Regardless of the price, using a P2 amplifier to amplify the volume of an already amplified signal does not seem like a winning strategy to me for the Phones output only. The P2 (or something similar) *should* be used for Aux outs, as those are not designed to feed headphones directly, unlike the Phones output.
Contributor - Level 2

I dont understand Behringer.....

Why the P2 is not available in europe??? (france)

Why some interesting products that I want buy more are no more available without much informations. They seems to had a very short life
- BEHRINGER CMD LC-1
- Bugera FSB106A

Dan Stay;137539 wrote:
Why the P2 is not available in europe???

It is. I bought mine from inta-audio. They also list it on eBay UK or eBay France if you prefer. It may not be shipping in the USA yet, though.

Dan Stay;137539 wrote:
Why some interesting products that I want buy more are no more available without much informations. They seems to had a very short life

- BEHRINGER CMD LC-1

This appears to be available from GAK.

- Bugera FSB106A

Listed by several online suppliers including Gear4music.
Contributor - Level 2

Yes they are from UK, but not in any French or German store yet ! Strange

Rex Beckett;137542 wrote:
It is. I bought mine from inta-audio. They also list it on eBay UK or eBay France if you prefer. It may not be shipping in the USA yet, though.
Contributor - Level 2

Yes we can find rare stores that still have few in stock, but then the products seems discontinued... too bad....

Rex Beckett;137550 wrote:
This appears to be available from GAK.

Listed by several online suppliers including Gear4music.