Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Using tour grade Cat 6

Can someone please confirm that Cat 6 with Ethercon is APPROVED by Behringer ? I have read this in Behringer literature ‘ somewhere ‘ on the web.
My reason for asking is that I’m on the apparently ‘ official ‘ x32 group on Facebook. Someone posted asking about what type of Cat 5e to use etc etc so to help this person out I posted that Cat 6 is also approved so as to give the poster options.
My post was deleted as if by magic almost instantly.
My concern is these forum moderators essentially do not have the appropriate knowledge and perhaps should not be in the position they are.
Actually come to think of it this is a much nicer place to be as there is always a respectful courteous answer to every question asked.
But if someone official can confirm?
Best, Anton.
Tags (1)
AntonHarris Contributor - Level 2 2019-01-30

2019-01-30

Using tour grade Cat 6

Can someone please confirm that Cat 6 with Ethercon is APPROVED by Behringer ? I have read this in Behringer literature ‘ somewhere ‘ on the web.
My reason for asking is that I’m on the apparently ‘ official ‘ x32 group on Facebook. Someone posted asking about what type of Cat 5e to use etc etc so to help this person out I posted that Cat 6 is also approved so as to give the poster options.
My post was deleted as if by magic almost instantly.
My concern is these forum moderators essentially do not have the appropriate knowledge and perhaps should not be in the position they are.
Actually come to think of it this is a much nicer place to be as there is always a respectful courteous answer to every question asked.
But if someone official can confirm?
Best, Anton.

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Using tour grade Cat 6

As long as it is fully screened and the screening is carried through from end to end via the ethercon shells then yes it will be OK. Cat 5e is the minimum spec.
Contributor - Level 2

The problem with Cat6, as I’ve heard it, is that Cat6 has more twists, which means the maximum length is actually less than the rated length in the spec from Music Tribe.
Contributor - Level 2

Philip Cain;159671 wrote:
The problem with Cat6, as I’ve heard it, is that Cat6 has more twists, which means the maximum length is actually less than the rated length in the spec from Music Tribe.

Hi mate, Actually the more twists means you can have a longer run. Having said I rarely go beyond 50 meters ...
Contributor - Level 2

I made mine with 100m of cat6 on a drum and it didn't work although it tested ok.

I cut it 70/30 and both pieces worked so now I have 70m on the drum and a 30m spare.

Craig
Craig Garnett
Volunteer Moderator

I have a 300' and 250' cat6 STP (with ethercons) on drums that I use each year for the finish line of a runathon and haven't had any issues with them.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!