Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

VoiceLive 3 Extreme - syncronised start via MIDI control?

Hi all - I'm going to buy VoiceLive 3 Extreme for live performances being quite impressed by new programmable features supporting the preset selection during the songs.
Meanwhile, I still have a question I cannot find an answer for: is it possible to provide a syncronised midi-launch of the songs from (or via) VoiceLive 3 Extreme connected to other midi instrument or sequencer?
The issue is to provide a synchronous start of the songs (by numbers in the set list during the show - or in any order desired) on VoiceLive 3 and on some other midi device. Is it possible to start such gang of devices through midi connection directly from VoiceLive 3 Extreme (for example, by the footswitch), or from some other midi device, which would be the 'master lead' for the VoiceLive 3?
Many thanks for your replies.

Space2019 Contributor - Level 1 04-16-2019

04-16-2019

VoiceLive 3 Extreme - syncronised start via MIDI control?

Hi all - I'm going to buy VoiceLive 3 Extreme for live performances being quite impressed by new programmable features supporting the preset selection during the songs.
Meanwhile, I still have a question I cannot find an answer for: is it possible to provide a syncronised midi-launch of the songs from (or via) VoiceLive 3 Extreme connected to other midi instrument or sequencer?
The issue is to provide a synchronous start of the songs (by numbers in the set list during the show - or in any order desired) on VoiceLive 3 and on some other midi device. Is it possible to start such gang of devices through midi connection directly from VoiceLive 3 Extreme (for example, by the footswitch), or from some other midi device, which would be the 'master lead' for the VoiceLive 3?
Many thanks for your replies.

Triber Moderator

Re: VoiceLive 3 Extreme - syncronised start via MIDI control?

Hey @Space2019,

Unfortunately there are no MIDI CC's to control the looper or backing tracks in VoiceLive 3 Extreme.  There's one possibility of making the VL3X your master but it would require that you hone in the timing first...

When you're playing a backing track from VL3X, there can be effect automation recorded along with the track - for example you can have harmonies automatically turn on during a chorus.  The act of pressing "Play" for the backing track does not send any MIDI CC, however any effect automation does send the corresponding CC for whatever effect is being toggled (for example if you have Reverb programed to turn on at the first verse it'll also send CC 112 out the 5-pin MIDI port when Reverb is toggled).  What you could potentially do is have an effect toggled immediately at the start of your backing track, which would send out the corresponding CC for that effect when you hit "Play" (or half a second after) and you might be able to use that as a trigger for whatever other external device you're using.  I say you'll need to hone in your timing because the effect automation is manually recorded the first time, then automatically repeated every subsequent time - so you'd just have to get that first effect toggle recorded into your automation really fast for it to seem like it's at the beginning of your track, but I believe this might be possible.  That's about the only option I can think of though, the whole backing track and effect automation system was set up so the VL3X could be the only piece of gear needed, so it's not really designed to play nice with other gear.  Hopefully that's helpful, cheers!

Spencer Larsen - Testing Engineer @ TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.