Contributor - Level 2

Web or VNC-based Control...

So I feel like Behringer kind of made the whole XAir-Edit thing more complicated than it needs to be by having to support clients for so many different platforms.

Seems to me they could have made life easier by installing a light-weight web server or VNC server on the mixer itself, and then connecting clients would merely need a web browser or a VNC viewer to control the mixer (a bit like how the admin functions of most WiFi routers work).

So I've sort of been toying with the idea of creating something small, along the lines of a Raspberry Pi form-factor, that would run XAir-Edit inside a VNC server and become an XAir-Edit proxy of sorts (clients connect to the proxy rather than the mixer itself).

My question for the forum... What would be the best platform to serve as this "proxy"? Raspberry Pi? Straight Linux? Windows? I've only used XAir-Edit for iPad and Windows. So I don't know if one of the other platform (Androind, RaspPi, etc.) would be better suited to this. Maybe go with a platform that supports Mixing Station rather than XAir-Edit?
ThomasChadwick Contributor - Level 2 2018-05-07

2018-05-07

Web or VNC-based Control...

So I feel like Behringer kind of made the whole XAir-Edit thing more complicated than it needs to be by having to support clients for so many different platforms.

Seems to me they could have made life easier by installing a light-weight web server or VNC server on the mixer itself, and then connecting clients would merely need a web browser or a VNC viewer to control the mixer (a bit like how the admin functions of most WiFi routers work).

So I've sort of been toying with the idea of creating something small, along the lines of a Raspberry Pi form-factor, that would run XAir-Edit inside a VNC server and become an XAir-Edit proxy of sorts (clients connect to the proxy rather than the mixer itself).

My question for the forum... What would be the best platform to serve as this "proxy"? Raspberry Pi? Straight Linux? Windows? I've only used XAir-Edit for iPad and Windows. So I don't know if one of the other platform (Androind, RaspPi, etc.) would be better suited to this. Maybe go with a platform that supports Mixing Station rather than XAir-Edit?

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Raspberry Pi here....

I have an XR-18 in a 6U slim rack case with two 7” touch screens, built-in custom headphone distribution amp (4 headphones), wireless AP and 2 raspberry pi SBCs for running X Ait edit and streaming software for live sports broadcasting. You could VNC into the RP and control X Air that way if you weren’t sitting in front of it.

but to your point of over complication of the control of the X and M series devices, it is actually very elegant in its design. By using the standard MIDI and OSC conventions you can control the device either via wireless or wired connection from a plethora of devices. Either via network connection or by MIDI interface. Leaving each user the ability to control the mix functions how ever works best in a given situation and / or environment. To embed a web server or VNC type connection would incure addition cost for licensing of technology or OS and limit the options for control of the device.

Good luck with your quest for optimal control of your X product, Mine works perfect and I love it......
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Web or VNC-based Control...

Jeff Green;145977 wrote:
I have an XR-18 in a 6U slim rack case with two 7” touch screens, built-in custom headphone distribution amp (4 headphones), wireless AP and 2 raspberry pi SBCs for running X Ait edit and streaming software for live sports broadcasting. You could VNC into the RP and control X Air that way if you weren’t sitting in front of it.

Hey Jeff - which 7" touch screens are you using with your RPis? I've got an RPi3 hooked up to my XR12 as a MIDI bridge and an audio FX engine. I've been looking at touch screens so I could integrate it into my rack. Seems like there are some nice 7" HDMI with USB touch interface, and then there's the "Official" RPI screen that attaches to the DSI port.

-Ted
Contributor - Level 2

Raspi Screens

Ted,

If you are only going to use the screen for the Pi then I would go with the official Pi screen. I am using a 1280 x 800 IPS screen with a capacitive touch overlay. I sourced the parts off of eBay (spelled china) and have the Pi connected via HDMI. The reason for this on my situation is we also broadcast video and this allows me to have multiple video inputs so I can switch to our on field cameras in real time to talk to what the producer is sending ot the broadcast. If I didn't need that I would have gone with the Official Pi 7". It's more elegant, less work to install. The way I did it I had to design a 3d printed case to house everything and calibrate the overlay etc...