Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

What replaces the Master X3 for Digital Performer?

I have been using the Master X3 with Digital Performer for years. It's a great piece of software. Unfortunately, to keep on using it I have to stay with 10.6.8 and that's becoming increasingly difficult as other stuff needs a more up to date system. So, I have to update, at which point my PowerCore Express and Master X3 will die. (They will, right?)

What is there that can replace it, either from TC Electronics or someone else? Of course I have loads of expanders/compressors/limiters, etc., but I'm using it for VO mostly and not being a real engineer I need something that I can set and forget. I used a preset, tweaked it a bit, and it just works for everything...whispering, shouting, whatever. I've messed around with lots of plugs but nothing is as easy to use, and most stuff requires some adjustment from session to session, whereas the X3 just works.

Any thoughts on a simple to use replacement gratefully received.

Thanks.
Tags (1)
gavspen Contributor - Level 2 2017-04-13

2017-04-13

What replaces the Master X3 for Digital Performer?

I have been using the Master X3 with Digital Performer for years. It's a great piece of software. Unfortunately, to keep on using it I have to stay with 10.6.8 and that's becoming increasingly difficult as other stuff needs a more up to date system. So, I have to update, at which point my PowerCore Express and Master X3 will die. (They will, right?)

What is there that can replace it, either from TC Electronics or someone else? Of course I have loads of expanders/compressors/limiters, etc., but I'm using it for VO mostly and not being a real engineer I need something that I can set and forget. I used a preset, tweaked it a bit, and it just works for everything...whispering, shouting, whatever. I've messed around with lots of plugs but nothing is as easy to use, and most stuff requires some adjustment from session to session, whereas the X3 just works.

Any thoughts on a simple to use replacement gratefully received.

Thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 16 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: What replaces the Master X3 for Digital Performer?

Hi gavspen !

You can try the waves L3 Multimaximizer , not the same but with a little tweaks you can get close .

http://www.waves.com/plugins/l3-multimaximizer
Windows 7 64bit AMD 64 dual core - 8 gb of Ram- Digi003 mixer - Protools 10\11 bundle - Lynx aurora 8 Avalon 2022 - Octane 8 - Uad 2 quad - Waves Gold - McDsp Emerald - Duy Everpack - Tc Powercore Firewire
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

"Not the same" as in, "not as good", or just different, but just as good in its own way?

Thanks for the reply
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Ok, looking at the L3, it seems to be a three band limiter only, whereas the Master X3 is an expander, followed by a multiband compressor, followed by a limiter, so not sure how they are equivalent.

What am missing?

Thanks
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

You can go to 10.9.5 and replace the PCI family kext or run the card with a windows 10 PC. Why should your card die?
Powercore PC: GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3, i7 3770k, Radeon R9 280X, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit, 3 Powercore PCI MKII, jbrigde, Impact Twin, UMC1820, EWS Mic8, Eleven Rig
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Well, maybe it doesnt, that was part of my original question. I thought the software dies after 10.6.8., not so? Can you explain in detail what it is I need to do? Or give me a link? I'm a bit of a luddite, and "replace the PCI family kext" means nothing to me I'm afraid.

Thank you in advance. If I can keep it alive that would be perfect.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/post/92392/#p92392
and the following posts Smiley Happy
Powercore PC: GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3, i7 3770k, Radeon R9 280X, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit, 3 Powercore PCI MKII, jbrigde, Impact Twin, UMC1820, EWS Mic8, Eleven Rig
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Whoa! Yeah, piece of cake :/ Smiley Wink

Like I said, I'm a bit of a luddite, but I'll certainly give this my attention. Thanks very much.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Ok, that worked! Smiley Happy Thank you Werner, I wished I'd asked here two years ago!

A couple of other questions if I may:

Do you know what happens in Yosemite, Seirra or Capitan?

Since the kext files are copied from 10.8.4, does that mean that the Powercore card would have worked with all systems up to that one?

And has anything been disabled by replacing the kext files in 10.9.5.? (Someone mentioned wifi. Anything else?)

Thanks again Werner, and to the chap who figured it out.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

No experience here with OS X 10.10 and later with my MkIIs.
MkI should work:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/post/106381/#p106381