Contributor - Level 2

When to insert an FX

Hello again,

Can someone please explain the difference between inserting an FX into a track and just applying an FX to a track.  When should you use the insert?

Thanks in advance for any help.

WilliamPanto Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-27

2019-08-27

When to insert an FX

Hello again,

Can someone please explain the difference between inserting an FX into a track and just applying an FX to a track.  When should you use the insert?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: When to insert an FX

@WilliamPanto wrote:

Thank you very much for your prompt replies, it's been a big help to me. Smiley Happy

@WilliamPanto 

You are very welcome. Please mark your thread as solved to help others who may search for similar answers.

View solution in original post

@WilliamPanto 

When you insert an effect in the signal path of a mixer or DAW, the output of the effect replaces the original signal. This works well with effects like De-Esser, EQ, Compression, Amp simulation or a simple delay for time alignment. A single FX block can only be inserted into one channel or bus.

When you use an effect in a sidechain (or send/return) mode, the output of the effect is added to the original signal. This works well with time-based effects like Delay (Echo), Reverb and Chorus. The amount of effect added to the original is controlled by the FX Send and Return faders. A single sidechain FX block can be used on multiple channels as the FX Sends are summed.

Most of the time-based effects in MR/XR mixers are only suitable for use in sidechain mode as they do not have controls to adjust the balance between the original and processed signals. Modulation Delay is an exception as it does have a Mix control so could be used as an inserted effect.

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for the explaination Rex.

The reason I asked that question is because I have been looking at adding the Stereo Combinator effect to the mains and everything I read said to insert it.  as a side note, is it worth using the Stereo Combinator on the Mains?  I've read that some people use it all the time and others don't.  I guess what I'm trying to ask is; does it make a worth while addition to the overall sound?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

The more I explore this topic the more questions arise.  lol

So, on the main page of the X-Air Edit software the FX faders are set to unity but when you click on an FXbutton on the right side of the screen the faders all go to the bottom.  When and how should I use the FX faders (not the channel faders)?

@WilliamPanto wrote:

Thank you for the explaination Rex.

The reason I asked that question is because I have been looking at adding the Stereo Combinator effect to the mains and everything I read said to insert it.  as a side note, is it worth using the Stereo Combinator on the Mains?  I've read that some people use it all the time and others don't.  I guess what I'm trying to ask is; does it make a worth while addition to the overall sound?

@WilliamPanto 

Yes the Stereo Combinator works well as an inserted effect. It even has a Mix control if you wanted to blend uncompressed signal with the processed one.

It is a powerful tool and, as you say, some people always use it to sweeten the overall mix. I think it is most useful on mixes with large channel counts. The only way to know if it works for you is to insert it in your Main LR buses and toggle the bypass (BYP) button one and off.

@WilliamPanto wrote:

The more I explore this topic the more questions arise.  lol

So, on the main page of the X-Air Edit software the FX faders are set to unity but when you click on an FXbutton on the right side of the screen the faders all go to the bottom.  When and how should I use the FX faders (not the channel faders)?

@WilliamPanto 

When you select the main mix by clicking on the Main LR button, the channel faders control the level of each channel in the main mix. The four FX faders (FX1 .. FX4) adjust the level of the FX Returns in the main mix.

When you select one of the FX buttons (at the bottom right), the channel faders control the level of the sends from each channel to the selected FX Send bus. This is called Sends-on-Faders. This is how you mix channels to be sent to a given FX slot. You could also add FX Returns to the FX Send bus by raising the FX1 .. FX 4 faders but this is not normally a good idea. It is possible to use this as a way to chain effects but it needs care. If you send an FX block its own Return, you can get very loud and unpleasant digital feedback.

The Sends-on-Faders mode also happens when you select one of the six mix buses (Bus 1 .. Bus 6).

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you very much for your prompt replies, it's been a big help to me. Smiley Happy

@WilliamPanto wrote:

@WilliamPanto 

You are very welcome. Please mark your thread as solved to help others who may search for similar answers.

View solution in original post