Why does the X32 only have 25 faders when comparable Yamaha or Presonus have 32?
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Why does the X32 only have 25 faders when comparable Yamaha or Presonus have 32?

I'm in the market for a mixer and have been researching several different models and manufacturers.

Behringer products (I've purchased a GTX 60, AT108, BXL450A, DI800 and a few other things including cable tester) are well made and never disappoint.

I'm leaning  towards the X32 but there are a few things bothering me and I'd hoped to get some help from seasoned users.

First, I can't beat Behringer's price.  But for the life of me I don't understand why other manufacturer's 32 channel mixers are equipped with 32 faders while the X32 only has 25?  How big of a drawback, if any, is that?

Models I'm considering are:

Yamaha TF5 or possibly the TF3

PreSonus StudioLive 32

I'll be using Cubase for the DAW on Windows.

Also, some older X32 reviews indicate only WAV files can be played back on a USB stick.  Has that changed at all with newer firmware?

The screen doesn't appear to be a touchscreen.  Is that correct?

Is there anything in particular you could point out that would sell me on the Behringer over the others?

This is a significant investment for me and I just don't want to end up regretting it.  My primary usage model would be recording my son's band.  Live applications in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
nherren Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-14

2019-08-14

I'm in the market for a mixer and have been researching several different models and manufacturers.

Behringer products (I've purchased a GTX 60, AT108, BXL450A, DI800 and a few other things including cable tester) are well made and never disappoint.

I'm leaning  towards the X32 but there are a few things bothering me and I'd hoped to get some help from seasoned users.

First, I can't beat Behringer's price.  But for the life of me I don't understand why other manufacturer's 32 channel mixers are equipped with 32 faders while the X32 only has 25?  How big of a drawback, if any, is that?

Models I'm considering are:

Yamaha TF5 or possibly the TF3

PreSonus StudioLive 32

I'll be using Cubase for the DAW on Windows.

Also, some older X32 reviews indicate only WAV files can be played back on a USB stick.  Has that changed at all with newer firmware?

The screen doesn't appear to be a touchscreen.  Is that correct?

Is there anything in particular you could point out that would sell me on the Behringer over the others?

This is a significant investment for me and I just don't want to end up regretting it.  My primary usage model would be recording my son's band.  Live applications in the future.

Thanks in advance!

• 0 Kudos
  • 10 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Why does the X32 only have 25 faders when comparable Yamaha or Presonus have 32?

Well it is a digital desk with fader layers like many other digital desks. Take Digico SD11i for example, only 12 fysical faders but can handle up to 80 channels. Or the Yamaha TF1 (you consider the bigger TF3 or 5 but they only have more faders but can do the same channel count) with only 17 faders but a channel count of up to 48.

Working on digital desks needs an other way of thinking and you need to forget the old analog way. Drums do not have to sit on the first 8-12 channels for example, I put them at the end so when they are all in balance I only need the drums DCA for total volume during the concert. The mixer can be in another layer than the drums, etc layer.

Varomedia theater audio solutions
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Why does the X32 only have 25 faders when comparable Yamaha or Presonus have 32?

Why would you use compression codecs on a live envirioment instead of WAV?

It has all to do with licenses for codecs, the mixer will be more expancive when Behringer buy all those license to support all kind of codecs while WAV is free to use and better than all those compression formats. To get your Yamaha TF serie as example again they also support only WAV and no other codecs with the USB slot.

Varomedia theater audio solutions
Contributor - Level 3

The Yamaha TF3 also only has 25 faders! It is all down to cost of manufacture of multi motorised fader digital desks. You can still control all 32 channels, but just in two banks of 16. The other bank of eight are normally dedicated to the mixing busses, of which there are 16 plus one Master fader. Again faders in two banks. However there are other options available for assigning faders on the full X32.

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I understand what you're saying about layers and DCA groupings.  And, yes, I was thinking in terms of an analog console.  I recently attended a Master class hosted by Alan Parsons and he told the class that he preferred analog consoles because he could see at a glance what every track was set to.  It made sense to me and that's why I wanted a fader per channel to achieve the same at-a-glance result.  He confessed that he's "old school".  Honestly, he's a quiet genius.  I was lucky to be there.

Contributor - Level 2

Flexibility is all I was looking at.  Lossy compression formats were secondary to flexibility in my opinion.

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the reply!  Given the price differential among the TF5 and TF3, the TF3 is only a few hundred $ more than the X32 whereas the TF5 is $1,000 more.  If I settle for the X32's 25 faders (I assume one is a master) then, making the same trade-off, I could settle for the TF3.

Anytime I shop for something like this I try to talk myself out of buying the product I prefer.  It's part of being a healthy skeptic...lol.

Just miking up my drum set will take 11 mike's if I use one per tom, both kicks snare high-hat and two overheads.  That's a good candidate for its own DCA group.

Contributor - Level 3

yes the last fader of the 25 is the Master stereo output fader. By the way the second group of 8 faders is not just DCAs, it can also be Busses or FX returns and Matrices. Also you can spill over the channel faders onto the extra eight if you wish.

Volunteer Moderator

@RichardYClark wrote:

Also you can spill over the channel faders onto the extra eight if you wish.

Unfortunately that channel spill feature is only available on the Compact and Producer (not on the full console or Rack).

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

Oh dear! I always get confused between the different models with faders. I only the the X32 Rack so don't have that bother.