HowardThomas Contributor - Level 2 09-21-2018

09-21-2018

Windows 10 update killed my UMC404HD

Looking around various sites I see that I'm not alone in finding the September update of W10 has rendered my UMC404HD invisible. I've done all the usual things - uninstalled the driver, reinstalled the latest from Behringer, plugged the USB cable into every possible port on my PC, run the W10 troubleshooter. This is unwelcome because I have a recording session arranged for my studio next week. Help!

• 0 Kudos
  • 11 Replies

Re: Windows 10 update killed my UMC404HD

Valued Contributor - Level 1
Howard Thomas;152513 wrote:
Looking around various sites I see that I'm not alone in finding the September update of W10 has rendered my UMC404HD invisible. I've done all the usual things - uninstalled the driver, reinstalled the latest from Behringer, plugged the USB cable into every possible port on my PC, run the W10 troubleshooter. This is unwelcome because I have a recording session arranged for my studio next week. Help!

Hi Howard,

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your troubles. When you say "invisible" do you mean you can't see it in Device Manager any more or something else? As for the Windows 10 September Update do you mean KB4100347 which is the 2018-09 Cumulative Update?

Happy to try and help.
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Not sure if this may be it, but Win10 has microphone privacy settings which might block the interface use. This has caused some users of Audacity problems. Are you using Audacity?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjjteFDUkds

Ugh. Misery loves company. I'm not having a problem with my 404HD but I just realized that I'd lost my Keystation Mini 32.

Take a look under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Device Manager and see if you have an "Unknown Device" with an exclamation point next to it. Unplug your 404HD and I bet that device goes away.

For my situation, I unplugged and replugged with no success. I then plugged it into a Macbook Pro with the same cable and it works fine. I moved it back to the USB hub it was on and moved the entire hub connection to the Macbook Pro and it was still fine. I put everything back and the KS showed up correctly on the Win10 system. Unplugged and replugged it and it came up as unknown again. 4-5 more cycles and it got recognized again.

Gotta love Windows.
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Ken,
This is a handy utility for troubleshooting USB stuff. It'll let you know what's connected, disabled, etc.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Mark Farrell;152557 wrote:
Ken,
This is a handy utility for troubleshooting USB stuff. It'll let you know what's connected, disabled, etc.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Thanks Mark. I'll have a look at it.

Ken

Fixed it

Contributor - Level 2
After wandering around the highways and byways of Windows 10, I found a button that allowed me to revert to the pre-update version. To my surprise, it worked without doing any significant harm to the PC and I now have a working UMC404 again. No more Windows updates for me! Thanks to everyone who read and responded to my cry for help.

Contributor - Level 3
Howard Thomas;152594 wrote:
After wandering around the highways and byways of Windows 10, I found a button that allowed me to revert to the pre-update version. To my surprise, it worked without doing any significant harm to the PC and I now have a working UMC404 again. No more Windows updates for me! Thanks to everyone who read and responded to my cry for help.

We're glad you got it working Howard, but I'm curious as to how you are going to turn off Windows 10 updates. I thought they were non-negotiable.

Thomas Alexander;152607 wrote:
We're glad you got it working Howard, but I'm curious as to how you are going to turn off Windows 10 updates. I thought they were non-negotiable.

Hi Thomas,

The key to not installing updates is to not allow them to download. It's the checking and downloading that triggers the installation of the updates.

To do this I set my Ethernet connection to the Internet to "metered" since Windows will not download updates through a metered connection.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-ethernet-connection-metered-windows-10

Hope this helps,
Ken

Ken Mitchell;152554 wrote:
Ugh. Misery loves company. I'm not having a problem with my 404HD but I just realized that I'd lost my Keystation Mini 32.

Take a look under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Device Manager and see if you have an "Unknown Device" with an exclamation point next to it. Unplug your 404HD and I bet that device goes away.

For my situation, I unplugged and replugged with no success. I then plugged it into a Macbook Pro with the same cable and it works fine. I moved it back to the USB hub it was on and moved the entire hub connection to the Macbook Pro and it was still fine. I put everything back and the KS showed up correctly on the Win10 system. Unplugged and replugged it and it came up as unknown again. 4-5 more cycles and it got recognized again.

Gotta love Windows.

Mine is fixed as well. As it turns out our cats were rolling around under my desk and knocked the power supply out for the 10 port USB hub. The Keystation wasn't getting enough power from the Lenovo but was OK with the high power port on the Macbook Pro.

PEBCAK (sort of)

Ken