Contributor - Level 2

X-32 rack to FOH mixers setup

Hi there. I have to do the stage mix for a band on a Dutch festival. My X-32 rack should provide the overall stereo mix, a separate vocalist channel to the FOH mixers via AES50. (I'll list the FOH setup at the end) 
The FOH sends back the monitor mix to the stage wedges and of course provides the overall sound.
We also have 2 stereo IEMs, coming from XLR out 1-4. I want to use XLR 5 for the main vocalist to send it over AES. Also I would like to send our talkback to the FOH and get their TB via AES.

Is there a good way of doing this? I add a drawing that shows these ideas.

The Dream 2.jpg

Here is the FOH side of it: 

PA MAIN: MEYERSOUND M’ELODIE/ INCL. INFILL, OUTFILL
PA SUBS: L’ACOUSTICS SB28
CONTROLS FOH: DIGICO SD12 CORE 2 V1069
ADD-ON: AVALON 737/747
CONTROLS MON: DIGICO SD8 CORE 2 V1069

Richard aka zappfinger
zappfinger Contributor - Level 2 05-09-2019

05-09-2019

X-32 rack to FOH mixers setup

Hi there. I have to do the stage mix for a band on a Dutch festival. My X-32 rack should provide the overall stereo mix, a separate vocalist channel to the FOH mixers via AES50. (I'll list the FOH setup at the end) 
The FOH sends back the monitor mix to the stage wedges and of course provides the overall sound.
We also have 2 stereo IEMs, coming from XLR out 1-4. I want to use XLR 5 for the main vocalist to send it over AES. Also I would like to send our talkback to the FOH and get their TB via AES.

Is there a good way of doing this? I add a drawing that shows these ideas.

The Dream 2.jpg

Here is the FOH side of it: 

PA MAIN: MEYERSOUND M’ELODIE/ INCL. INFILL, OUTFILL
PA SUBS: L’ACOUSTICS SB28
CONTROLS FOH: DIGICO SD12 CORE 2 V1069
ADD-ON: AVALON 737/747
CONTROLS MON: DIGICO SD8 CORE 2 V1069

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Trusted Contributor - Level 3

Re: X-32 rack to FOH mixers setup

AES50 is primarily a Behringer/Midas interface (protocol). The Digico mixers use MADI (AES10). For these 2 brands to communicate, a common protocol is needed. Dante is an option on both boards. Format converters exist but they are expensive. If a common digital format is not available, Analog XLR would be the common format. A transformer based isolation system (splitting snake) is best to minimize noise and hum between the two mixers. You have plenty of digital options if your budget is big enough; otherwise, go analog.

@zappfinger 

There are a bunch of methods to do this. This ways seems simple. Put everything you want to send to FOH on outputs 9-16. With default routing this should put everthing on AES-50 A&B 9-16.

Press "Routing" then "Output 1-16" Tab.

Then put your LR bus on a pair of channels (eg, 15-16)

Do a direct out for main vocals if it's just one mic. (direct out channel 5 on to 9)

Assign your monitor bus to output 10

Assign Talkback (TB) to 11

Something like this should work. Make sure the AES A (or B) 9-16 assignments is "Out 9-16" (this the default)

Volunteer Moderator

Hi Richard @zappfinger,

I think you are confusing the AES50 (a proprietary protocol of Music Tribe) with that of AES (or AES/EBU). The AES on the back of the Digico SD12 is probably a stereo output only, similar to the X32 full console. As far as I know the Digico consoles do not have AES50 I/O. But I did notice that the SD12 does have Madi built-in. If you do want to send/receive digitally between the X32 Rack and the Digico, you could get an X-Madi card and replace the X-USB card that the Rack comes with. I would think though that the venue will have a splitter snake available that you would use for the inputs and outputs.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Duh. Missed the Digico part. That changes every thing. With 5 lines, analog is easy and cheap. Or Run 2 lines and have your sound tech run it (remotely).

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Paul, but I am using the X-USB card to play back the guide track. What do you mean with : "I would think though that the venue will have a splitter snake available that you would use for the inputs and outputs."
That somehow they have a conversion to AES50? Or that they have real IO (XLR, TRS)?

Richard

Richard aka zappfinger
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Dave, that sounds simple. But what I understand from Paul is that I might not even be able to use the AES50 protocol. I hope there are other options....

Richard

Richard aka zappfinger

AES50 is primarily a Behringer/Midas interface (protocol). The Digico mixers use MADI (AES10). For these 2 brands to communicate, a common protocol is needed. Dante is an option on both boards. Format converters exist but they are expensive. If a common digital format is not available, Analog XLR would be the common format. A transformer based isolation system (splitting snake) is best to minimize noise and hum between the two mixers. You have plenty of digital options if your budget is big enough; otherwise, go analog.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

And analog it was. It was a great succes. We got a lot of compliments  about the Hifi stereo sound with so much details. Thanks to the Behringer X32... chapeau!

Richard aka zappfinger