Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

X Air Ethernet to iPad

Anyone have experience connecting an iPad running the X Air app via Ethernet cable?

I have an Anker USB3 to RJ45 adapter plugged into the Camera Kit dongle on the iPad, which gives me hard-wired access to an Ethernet connection. This works fine connecting to my home router, but I haven't been able to get the X Air App on the iPad to detect the X Air 18 when following the instructions provided by Michael Lapke on this discussion board (i.e. his Option 5).:

-iPad Pro 12.5 inch running iOS 10.10
-Configure the X Air app in the iPad for LAN Mode=DHCP using access point
-Connect Ethernet cable between X Air and iPad (via RJ45-USB3 adapter -> Camera Kit USB dongle, with Lighning power supplied from a 29W USB-C Power Supply)
-Flip the X Air access switch to Ethernet
-Relaunch app.

Result: the app does not recognize the X Air.

I would like this option as a backup to wireless control under heavy signal environments where the little internal router is brought to its knees which has happened to me a couple times. Another option is an external router but I like having multiple options on call.

Regardless of what 'should' work, or works on other tablets, has anyone gotten this to work with a system similar to mine? I know there is a more
Thanks
Jon
JonDuvick Contributor - Level 2 2017-10-03

2017-10-03

X Air Ethernet to iPad

Anyone have experience connecting an iPad running the X Air app via Ethernet cable?

I have an Anker USB3 to RJ45 adapter plugged into the Camera Kit dongle on the iPad, which gives me hard-wired access to an Ethernet connection. This works fine connecting to my home router, but I haven't been able to get the X Air App on the iPad to detect the X Air 18 when following the instructions provided by Michael Lapke on this discussion board (i.e. his Option 5).:

-iPad Pro 12.5 inch running iOS 10.10
-Configure the X Air app in the iPad for LAN Mode=DHCP using access point
-Connect Ethernet cable between X Air and iPad (via RJ45-USB3 adapter -> Camera Kit USB dongle, with Lighning power supplied from a 29W USB-C Power Supply)
-Flip the X Air access switch to Ethernet
-Relaunch app.

Result: the app does not recognize the X Air.

I would like this option as a backup to wireless control under heavy signal environments where the little internal router is brought to its knees which has happened to me a couple times. Another option is an external router but I like having multiple options on call.

Regardless of what 'should' work, or works on other tablets, has anyone gotten this to work with a system similar to mine? I know there is a more
Thanks
Jon

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: X Air Ethernet to iPad

I meant to add, "I know there is a more recent model of the Anker USB to RJ45 adapter (the AK-A7611011; mine is AK-A7610011), so I am wondering if that could be the problem."
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

According to a video I saw, the XAir app won’t automatically see the hard wired XAir. In the video he used an actual router between the iPad and XAir. When he connected to the router, the iPad showed the IP address in settings. He entered that into the window that comes up when you start the app, and he was connected. 

Without the router, I don’t know how to know the IP address of the iPad — I haven’t tried, maybe it’s obvious. (Edit: see below)

It may be simpler in the long run to buy a small, inexpensive (around $40?) portable WiFi device and stay wireless. I have read that the problems we have with lost connections are due to the XAir having a low-grade, weak wireless receiver/transmitter, but that a proper router hard-wired to the XAir solves that. That’s the route I’m going to try.

i just found this 

1. Using a PC, Mac, or Android device, use the X AIR app to connect to the mixer (any method works).

2. Open the Network settings, update the LAN Settings to DHCP Server, and then select Apply.

3. Move the switch to ETHERNET and connect your tablet to the mixer’s REMOTE ETHERNET port.

4. Turn your iPad’s WiFi off.

5. Launch the X AIR app and enter the mixer’s IP address (default: 192.168.1.1) to connect.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

But that doesn't really work

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for this info guys. Did it work hard wired to the iPad when you did that?

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 3

Hi Dan ( @Dan936 ), 

Welcome to the community. Yes, the iPad works fine hard-wired as long as you either set the mixer to be LAN->DHCP Server or you have a router on the same network that's configured to be the DHCP server.   There is no way to set a static IP address on the iPad for the Ethernet connection so it has to be assigned using DHCP.  Also, remember that you need an Ethernet adapter that IOS recognizes.  I have a link save somewhere to a write up on doing this.  I'll edit my post when I find it. 

EDIT: Found it: https://support.robinpowered.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002123883-Connect-your-iPad-to-a-wired-interne...

These are exactly the bits I use to hard-wire my iPad to a network. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Cheers Ken, that's brilliant advice

it may well have been your post I was looking at earlier. The cables suggested were as per the picture and more than happy to buy the Apple ones so iOS sees them. Did a lot of research tonight and take the point the internal Wi-Fi is a spec and home use thing. Just trying to have a back up to ext router should that fail too. All a shame, but the level up of internal Wi-Fi desks is so much higher price wise so worth spending a bit on routers and cables. Thanks again for your help

Dan

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2