Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

X-Air / X18 playback / Virtual Soundcheck via Logic

Hey, I'd like to be able to mix multi-tracks in a DAW using my X-Air. Consider it a virtual soundcheck where I'll be mixing in headphones. I've scoured the web for solutions and several threads on here but couldn't find anything.

The XAir isn't seneing anything from Logic. Logic is set to x18/xr18 input/output Everything is configured 1 to 1 in Logic. The X18 is setup as the input/output device. I've tried setting up the x18 as a control surface too but that didn't work (Mackie Universal). I've changed the input/output on my Mac's soundcard to x18. I've made sure that in the XAir app all of the inputs were set to USB and not Mic. USB Interface is set to 18 in/out. 

I'm not sure what I'm missing. I coud've sworn I've set this up before. 

Thunderdome Contributor - Level 3 2020-02-26

2020-02-26

X-Air / X18 playback / Virtual Soundcheck via Logic

Hey, I'd like to be able to mix multi-tracks in a DAW using my X-Air. Consider it a virtual soundcheck where I'll be mixing in headphones. I've scoured the web for solutions and several threads on here but couldn't find anything.

The XAir isn't seneing anything from Logic. Logic is set to x18/xr18 input/output Everything is configured 1 to 1 in Logic. The X18 is setup as the input/output device. I've tried setting up the x18 as a control surface too but that didn't work (Mackie Universal). I've changed the input/output on my Mac's soundcard to x18. I've made sure that in the XAir app all of the inputs were set to USB and not Mic. USB Interface is set to 18 in/out. 

I'm not sure what I'm missing. I coud've sworn I've set this up before. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 14 Replies
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: X-Air / X18 playback / Virtual Soundcheck via Logic

@Thunderdome 

If you can see the mixer from the mac (via USB—System Information:Hardware:USB), then it would be  software or routing problem. Check the XR18's Channel tab to ensure that all the tracks are set to USB.

I sounds like you have things set right.  If you want to upload your current scene file, we'll take a look. 

Here are (older) instructions for saving/uploading a scene. https://behringerwiki.musictribe.com/index.php?title=Uploading_files_to_the_forum
Upload by Choose File at the bottom of the window.

Logic's "stereo out" by default is channel 1 & 2 (USB 1 & 2) so you should get something on channel 1 & 2 even if the the other channels weren't set to the appropriate channel.

BTW: "I've tried setting up the x18 as a control surface too but that didn't work (Mackie Universal)" The XR18 doesn't support  MCU.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

@DaveMorrison 

I didn't build much of a scene for it yet. I just wanted to see signal but I'm uploading the config. Poke around and let me know if I'm missing something. I verified that Logic's Output is set to 1. I should also mentioned that I tried Reaper and Waves Live without success. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

What do you expect Logic to send to the XR18? Do you want the Stereo Output of Logic to route to the XR18? I make this happen by setting the "Speakers" - Audio/MIDI Setup app - to 17/18 which routes output from the Mac to the Aux input on the XR18.

If you want audio tracks from Logic to route to the XR18 then you could do what I do - in Logic use an I/O plugin to send channel 1 to channel 1, 2 to 2, etc. 

Your XR18 scene looks like it should do just fine. You need to configure your audio output and Logic tracks to actually send something to the XR18 (for replay)

Logic Pro X 10.4.8, 10.5.0, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5|10.15.2
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

@ChrisJanton 

I'm trying to do a 1 to 1 setup. Channel 1 on Logic (kick) to Channel 1 on X-Air (kick), Channel 2 on Logic (Snare T) to Channel 2 (Snare T) on X-Air, etc. 

I went to preferences>audio in Logic and changed the Output/Input Device to both XR18. I tried using the I/O plugin as you suggested (output mono to channel 1) and I'm still not getting anything into the X-Air.

Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

just to make sure it's not the 'Stereo Output' confusion, what happens if you try sending to channels 3 and 4?

Logic Pro X 10.4.8, 10.5.0, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5|10.15.2
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@Thunderdome 

Since you can see and select the XR18 in logic, USB audio from the computer seems to be patched correctly, but does it really output any sound? Do you have another device (computer, tablet, phone) that can send class compliant Audio over USB?

Have you tried the In/Out : Main Out tab to direct monitor the USB bus?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

@DaveMorrison 

@ChrisJanton 

I added/routed more tracks using output 3 and 4, still no signal coming back into X-Air. I plugged a mic into Channel 1, got signal and was able to record into Track 1, then track 2, etc from the X-Air. So it's working in that direction. I changed the output of that track in Logic to Output 1, 2 then 3 with the inputs on the X-Air to USB and still have gotten signal back from Logic

I did try the In/Out: Main Out tab and set up direct monitor over USB. 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

I was at for about 8 hours yesterday. Still could never get channel signal to the X-Air from Logic or Reaper. Now I was able to get audio from the iMac (youtube) via headphones on X-Air. I setup the input/output on the iMac to XR18. As I mentioned, I could plug a Mic into it and record into both programs. I switch the input source to USB on the X-Air and nothing comes back. I'm really stumped on this. Can you guys think of anything else? Maybe it's something in Logic or Reaper that isn't configured properly?

@DaveMorrison 

@ChrisJanton 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

@DaveMorrison 

@ChrisJanton 

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I setup my X-Air on my MacBook Air(early 2014) with Logic and it works just fine. I'm getting signal back from Logic into my X-Air and I can mix via console accordingly. My main computer, which I was attempting to use first, is an iMac (2019). Apart from the computers being different operating systems (10.15.2 on iMac vs 10.14 on Macbook Air) and model computers, the configuration between Logic and X-Air are exactly the same.

Do you guys have any thoughts on how this could be?