Thunderdome Contributor - Level 3 2020-02-26

2020-02-26

X-Air / X18 playback / Virtual Soundcheck via Logic

Hey, I'd like to be able to mix multi-tracks in a DAW using my X-Air. Consider it a virtual soundcheck where I'll be mixing in headphones. I've scoured the web for solutions and several threads on here but couldn't find anything.

The XAir isn't seneing anything from Logic. Logic is set to x18/xr18 input/output Everything is configured 1 to 1 in Logic. The X18 is setup as the input/output device. I've tried setting up the x18 as a control surface too but that didn't work (Mackie Universal). I've changed the input/output on my Mac's soundcard to x18. I've made sure that in the XAir app all of the inputs were set to USB and not Mic. USB Interface is set to 18 in/out. 

I'm not sure what I'm missing. I coud've sworn I've set this up before. 

• 0 Kudos
  • 14 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: X-Air / X18 playback / Virtual Soundcheck via Logic

I can't imagine that it is the iMac. I have a 2019 iMac (10.14) and it works fine, so we have to assume that it is a problem with Catalina and some setting.

Many people have run into issues when they deny some permission to some application, like Logic asking about microphones, or what have you.

On the Catalina system, the iMac, open "System Preferences" and open "Security and Privacy". Click the lock icon (bottom left) to allow you to make changes. Select "Microphone" and look to see which applications are allowed access to the microphone. This setting affects *all* inputs, not just the microphone on the iMac.

Unfortunately it is not currently convenient for me to connect my XR18 to the Catalina laptop that I have, otherwise I could test.

Logic Pro X 10.4.8, 10.5.0, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5|10.15.2
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@Thunderdome 

I'm running both 10.14 and 10.15.3 connect to my X32. Logic is 10.4.8. The only significant security setting is microphone. I also allow access to network drive (files and folders); I wouldn't think that matters.Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 5.30.19 PM.png

Highlighted

Audio routing from my Catalina system - Logic Pro X 10.4.8 - seems to work fine.

Here's how I tested it.

1. Make sure XR18 is the audio device - 18/18 - speaker outputs set to 17 and 18 (Audio MIDI Setup)

2. Logic Pro X - simple project - 1 audio track - outut set to stereo out which I configure to be 17-18

3. Test Oscillator plugin on track - TURN EVERYTHING DOWN before enabling set to white noise (safer when loud) meters should show output. Place an I/O plugin after the Oscillator. Set the output channel to 1.

Now look in X-Air Edit (I run it on the Mac with Logic) and bring up the meters view. Anything happening?

For channel 1 on XR18 - click the USB button to get signal from the USB returns. Do you see anything on meters? If you have set all the channels on the XR18 to USB you should be able to simply change the output channel in the I/O plugin and watch the signal move from channel to channel.

For returning sound - on the XR change the USB Send for each channel to Post Fader. 

In Logic on your selected channel turn on "Input Monitoring" (the I button) and for good measure click on R as well. The meter for the channel should show nothing, yet. In the I/O plugin set the Input channel to 1. At this point you should see that signal is coming in to Logic from the XR. Fader changes in X-Air Edit should cause level changes in Logic.

Works for me in Catalina - 10.15

Highlighted

here's the Logic project

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

This is just a possible connection, but I read earlier today about Mac Mojave starting to support something called "mic privacy" mode, which apparently caused a very similar problem for a user on an x32. Since the iMac you list is running 10.14 (Mojave), check the mac system settings, security & privacy, microphone. Make sure your audio app and friends are are allowed to access the microphone.

P.S.:

Whoops, sorry for the double-effort response. I thought I was at the bottom of the replies, but nope, I wasn't yet.