RobertDuncan Contributor - Level 2 2019-02-04

2019-02-04

X-Edit won't launch in Windows 10

Greetings all!

I've managed to get Xedit to work on iOS and Mac, but I really need it on my PC. The driver seems to have installed properly, and I can see the app in my task manager, but the window for Xedit never appears. Here's a list of things I've done:

1. Updated the Group Properties and ran the GPUpdate.exe
2. Installed the v4.28.0 driver (x18_32x32 file)
3. Restarted my machine
4. Installed the Xedit to my desktop
5. Connected to the XR18 WIFI in access point mode
6. Tried to launch the Xedit app to no avail.

When I look at the task manager, the Xedit app is listed as 32-bit.

Please help if there's a patch I've missed or additional permissions you think I need to change.

Thanks,
Rob

MSI GS63
Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU 2.8GHz
32 Gb RAM
Windows 10 pro v1083
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

• 0 Kudos
  • 31 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: X-Edit won't launch in Windows 10

Ken,

Thanks for the tip. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing atypical behavior.

I double-checked that I was launching from a regular folder and still couldn't launch the app.

Rob
Rock Star - Level 1

Robert Duncan;160023 wrote:
Ken,

Thanks for the tip. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing atypical behavior.

I double-checked that I was launching from a regular folder and still couldn't launch the app.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Have to tried to kill it in Task Manager? You might have a copy already running that's "stuck" somehow and that's keeping the second copy from running.

Just a thought.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 3

Not that it should make any difference but I have it on the Windows desktop from where it always launches OK.
Volunteer Moderator

Hey Robert, we have had a few reports of corrupted X-Air Edit (and X32-Edit) profiles that gave people grief. Delete the following folder C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\X-AIR-Edit
Then try and run the app.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

Paul,

Thanks -- that might explain why we could never get X32 Edit to run properly on my buddy's Windows 10 machine, even though it worked fine on mine. (Particularly important, as my buddy has an X32 Rack, only accessible by software). We even uninstalled and re-downloaded X32 Edit, to no avail.

The symptom was that it would start with either a splash screen or a white screen, then immediately exit. (Sound familiar?)

We ended up completely reinstalling Windows before it worked, but I can see how a corrupted default profile, especially if it survived the uninstall process, could have been the villain.
-Tom Williams
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Robert,

I once had this issue with a different app.
After launch visible in the Task Manager, but nowhere else.
It took me some time to figure it out.
Normaly I work in a dual screen setup: Laptop + external 27" monitor in Windows extended desktop mode (or whatever it's called in English, mine is in Dutch).
When I used the laptop standalone the app launched (visible in taskmanager), but virtualy displayed on the not-connected monitor, because that was where it was last closed.
Maybe it is worth checking if you see the app with an external monitor connected.
Contributor - Level 2

Paul, Ken, Tom and Anthonie (forgive me if I missed someone):

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, all of these great leads have not panned out. I also suspected a rendering/window management issue, but connecting to a second monitor and changing all the projection options didn't reveal the app.

I found a large number of zipped .tmp files in a folder similar to that Paul described, deleted them, and tried again. No luck. They were in C:\Users\myUserFile\AppData\Local\Temp. There was no X-AIR-Edit file/folder in ..\AppData\Roaming

The files all had names like "Temp1_X-AIR-Edit_PC_V1.5" or some variation.

I've also tried connecting via Ethernet rather than via the AccessPoint when first launching the app.

Finally, I've installed updates, rebooted, and repeated everything listed above.

The app currently resides on the desktop.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Rob
Super Contributor - Level 2

Have you checked to see if X-Air Edit is permitted by Windows' firewall? Win 10 is picky about this. It usually prompts when the app is first run but it's worth a check.

Look at Control Panel -> Windows Defender Firewall -> Allowed Applications or the equivalent if you have an alternative security package installed.
Super Contributor - Level 2

Another check is to see if X-Air Edit is throwing an un-handled exception.

Search for the program Event Viewer. Select Windows Logs -> Application and use the Find... action for the text X-AIR-EDIT. I found an entry in mine from when I loaded a corrupt scene file.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Rex,

Thanks for the notion. I whitelisted the app in Norton security and I checked for un-handled exceptions, but there were none. Still no luck.

Rob