Contributor - Level 1

X-Live - Renaming of sessions

Hi,
I'm a newby, and I'm sorry to bother you with a question that is looking too obvious. I searched in the forum but could not find an answer, althouth the topic was touched a few times.

Is there an easy way to rename sessions recorded with X-Live on SD card?

We are using X-Live for virutal soundchecks (great feature!). Therefore we need a couple of songs easy to find. At the same time we are recording for different purposes from time to time. It would be much clearer if the sessions would have real names (e.g. name of the song). Also it would avoid some embarrassing moments, when the wrong file can be heard at soundcheck (we are doing a cappella, you don't want to hear a recording from an early rehearsal of a new song... )

We do not bring a laptop to our live sessions, only the X32 producer and an i-Pad. However, I'm not afraid of using a computer for some homework, but not started this, yet.

thanks for your help!

Jens
JensWoelken Contributor - Level 1 2018-11-20

2018-11-20

X-Live - Renaming of sessions

Hi,
I'm a newby, and I'm sorry to bother you with a question that is looking too obvious. I searched in the forum but could not find an answer, althouth the topic was touched a few times.

We are using X-Live for virutal soundchecks (great feature!). Therefore we need a couple of songs easy to find. At the same time we are recording for different purposes from time to time. It would be much clearer if the sessions would have real names (e.g. name of the song). Also it would avoid some embarrassing moments, when the wrong file can be heard at soundcheck (we are doing a cappella, you don't want to hear a recording from an early rehearsal of a new song... )

We do not bring a laptop to our live sessions, only the X32 producer and an i-Pad. However, I'm not afraid of using a computer for some homework, but not started this, yet.

thanks for your help!

Jens

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: X-Live - Renaming of sessions

Jens Woelken;155430 wrote:
Hi,

thanks for your help!

Jens

Check the utility X32Xlive_Wav [https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32#TOC-X32Xlive_Wav]. No need to actually extract data Smiley Happy the utility enables you to change an Xlive session name without extracting audio.

-Patrick
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you!

Hi Patrick,

this is awesome! I checked it out yesterday and it just works nice and easy Smiley Happy
I still do not understand, why Behringer is not implementing such a basic into the console / Expansion Card, but how great, that others help in such a way!

Now it might happen, that I will have questions to this forum every day Smiley Happy

Thank you!

Jens
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Thank you Patrick for the info on X32Xlive_Wav utility, what a God send!

I have a follow-up question. Once you export the wav files with the utility or import into a DAW like Studio One 4 and expand out all tracks. What is the best method to return the mix into a 32 channel single .wav file?

I'm currently using an M32C with a DL32 and channels 1-24 for the live band and would like to use 25-32 for playback tracks and have totally figured it out and it works great if I playback the tracks without editing them. However, after exporting, editing tracks and trying to use them again has returned nothing but digital noise on playback.

Any info would be appreciated.
Super Contributor - Level 2

Danny Kurywchak;158482 wrote:
Thank you Patrick for the info on X32Xlive_Wav utility, what a God send!

I have a follow-up question. Once you export the wav files with the utility or import into a DAW like Studio One 4 and expand out all tracks. What is the best method to return the mix into a 32 channel single .wav file?

I'm currently using an M32C with a DL32 and channels 1-24 for the live band and would like to use 25-32 for playback tracks and have totally figured it out and it works great if I playback the tracks without editing them. However, after exporting, editing tracks and trying to use them again has returned nothing but digital noise on playback.

Any info would be appreciated.

It depends on your DAW capabilities, and I'm assuming here you want to play back your mixed tracks using Xlive.

Assuming you don't have a DAW capable of assembling the 32 tracks into a multi-track wave file as expected by X-Live (i.e. using 32bit containers with 24bit audio data per sample), you can export your tracks as individual 24bit standard wav files.
You can then use X32Wav_Xlive to assemble your exported tracks into an X-Live session (a directory with the assembled audio and a .BIN file). Copy the session directory to an SD card under the XLive directory and you can play it on your M32 via the XLive card.

There may be other programs capable of assembling wav files into XLive compatible format... Maybe Wave Agent?

X32Wav_Xlive can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32#TOC-X32Wav_Xlive

-Patrick
Valued Contributor - Level 2

[LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]
Danny Kurywchak;158482 wrote:
Once you export the wav files with the utility or import into a DAW like Studio One 4 and expand out all tracks. What is the best method to return the mix into a 32 channel single .wav file?

[/FONT][/COLOR]
A way to export/import without a utility (part B of interest in your case-to import edited DAW tracks back to the SD card.)

A) X-Live SD tracks recorded (essentially exported) to a DAW while playing them back.

(Both "USB-Interface" and "SD-Recording" set for 32 ch recording/playback in my case.)

In X32-Edit, select the X-Live recorder GUI icon.
1) In the "Playback" section set it to "SD card"
2) In the "Channel Routing" section set it to "Recording" (NOT AUTO !!)

X32-Edit mixer routing pages:
1) Select the "Inputs" tab then down at the bottom next to aux remap, set it to "Record". Now set the routing for "Card" 1-32 in groups of 8.
2) Select the "Inputs" tab then down at the bottom next to aux remap, switch it to "Playback" and set it also for "Card" 1-32 in groups of 8 (yes, the same as Record)

3) In the "Card Output" routing tab:
Set all outputs to "Card" 1-32 in groups of 8

Set your DAW to record normally and enter record. Payback the sd card tracks. All SD card tracks will record to your DAW.

B) DAW playback of tracks and then record (essentially import) to the SD card.

In X32 Edit, select the X-Live recorder GUI icon.

1) In the Playback section set it to "USB"
2) In the Channel Routing section set it to "Recording' (NOT AUTO!!)

X32 Edit routing:
1) Select the "Inputs" tab then down at the bottom next to aux remap, set it to "Record". Now set routing for "Card" 1-32 in groups of 8.
2) Select the "Inputs" tab then down at the bottom next to aux remap, switch it to "Playback" and set it also for "Card" 1-32 in groups of 8.

3) In the "Card Output" routing tab:
Set all outputs to "Card" 1-32 in groups of 8

Hit SD record, hit your DAW playback. It will record your edited (or non edited) DAW tracks back to the SD card (up to 32 that is). You can keep or delete the recording as any other.

Still need that utility to name the new SD recording! This is also a round about, down town and back, way to get overdubs of the SD recordings. Export SD to DAW, edit tracks, delete or replace ch's and then bring them back to the SD card. Also a way to bring DAW projects done elsewhere to your SD card.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]