RonniSantmyer Contributor - Level 2 2018-10-21

2018-10-21

X-Live playback and using USB for plugins

I used my card I just installed the other night.. Wanted to do a virtual soundcheck.
But use the tools I use.. Which I use live Professor for plug-ins on my kick, snare, vocal buss, then 2 more chains I have inserted on busses for verbs..

But I wasn't thinking about this until after I did this if course.. If i route the SD card to mixer for playback then I can't route my 5 plugin inserts thru laptop...

Any work arounds I'm missing?

• 0 Kudos
  • 18 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: X-Live playback and using USB for plugins

OK get the DAW playback out of your head...

We are talking X-Live card... if you've ever used when you're in the X32 and you go to the page for X-Live card.. you will see a option to select either SD card playback (when you want to play the tracks back) or USB card.. to use x32 as an interface..

so if you select to play tracks back you can't use the USB period.
Of course I've tracked and played back off Reaper many times.. but that was for recordings I needed to do live.. but even then you can't use the Live Professor with plugins at the same time as Reaper playing tracks because of the routing..

I don't care about using the DAW as recording or virtual sound check.. if that would have worked I wouldn't have need or thought I should get the SD card.. but I thought having the SD would be easier because I can actually hit start and stop from the crowd..

Remember my laptop is on top of my rack on stage.. I'm not standing at a console at FOH I'm out there with a tablet.. so that's also the reason I don't go more crazy with plugins because I can't tweak them from audience... so they are sort of static..

so when they advertised the SD card I think even Cymatic card.. the USB works fine when using the console for live sources.. but on any of them as soon as you have to change the inputs so the channels are seeing the recorded material you've now unpatched from the USB area where the plugins go back and forth.
Ronni Santmyer
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Ronni Santmyer;154212 wrote:
so if you select to play tracks back you can't use the USB period.

That is correct. SD and USB playback are exclusive. It is one or the other.

Of course I've tracked and played back off Reaper many times.. but that was for recordings I needed to do live.. but even then you can't use the Live Professor with plugins at the same time as Reaper playing tracks because of the routing..

That is not because of routing. Rather it is a limitation of ASIO (blame Steinberg). ASIO is exclusive to the app (only one app can access ASIO at any one time). Years ago I was using a Terratec multi-channel interface that had an option in its ASIO driver of exclusive or multiple apps. Unfortunately the multiple setting was very glitchy and frequently crashed the driver and the apps. Evidently Steinberg was too lazy to fix the bug. So now it is exclusive only.

Remember my laptop is on top of my rack on stage.. I'm not standing at a console at FOH I'm out there with a tablet.. so that's also the reason I don't go more crazy with plugins because I can't tweak them from audience... so they are sort of static.

That is how I also do it (and love it) and have learned to keep the channel processing (Fx, EQ, etc.) to a minimum and let the amazing talent of the performers and the clean sound of the X32 shine through. Speaking of which, here is an excellent article that I just came across that discusses this issue.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;154215 wrote:

That is not because of routing. Rather it is a limitation of ASIO (blame Steinberg). ASIO is exclusive to the app (only one app can access ASIO at any one time). ..

That is not correct.

I use Cubase as PlugIn Host (like Waves Multirack) and Waves Tracks Live (as recording Software) simultaneously on a Windows 10 Systrem.
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Dirk Klein;154667 wrote:
That is not correct.

That statement is not entirely correct. See this thread. Evidently there has been some specialized ASIO drivers created to get around this limitation

I use Cubase as PlugIn Host (like Waves Multirack) and Waves Tracks Live (as recording Software) simultaneously on a Windows 10 Systrem.

What driver are you using and for which console?
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;154669 wrote:
That statement is not entirely correct. See this thread. Evidently there has been some specialized ASIO drivers created to get around this limitation

What driver are you using and for which console?

I always thought so too. Then I just tried it once and it worked to my delight!

I use the driver 4.11 for the X-USB card with an X32 producer!
It works absolutely without any problems every weekend!
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Dirk Klein;154783 wrote:
I use the driver 4.11 for the X-USB card with an X32 producer!
It works absolutely without any problems every weekend!

Are you saying that both the "Cubase as PlugIn Host (like Waves Multirack) and Waves Tracks Live" access the X-USB ASIO driver simultaneously? You are certain that one of them is not accessing the WASAPI or WDM drivers? If so, that is very good news and I was not aware that the latest X-USB could provide that.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;154829 wrote:
Are you saying that both the "Cubase as PlugIn Host (like Waves Multirack) and Waves Tracks Live" access the X-USB ASIO driver simultaneously? You are certain that one of them is not accessing the WASAPI or WDM drivers? If so, that is very good news and I was not aware that the latest X-USB could provide that.

I can confirm that!

I am currently not in the studio, so only with a Focusrite USB interface (Scarlett 6i6 2nd).
I think it was a Windows limitation in the past.
I have confirmed it with different interfaces and their Asio drivers!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Very interesting but a bit puzzling. I always thought that it was one app to one ASIO device.

However I had heard that some suitably programmed audio software could possibly share an ASIO device driver as long as there were enough channels to split between them. So it seems that some manufacturers can supply multi client ASIO drivers. It would be nice to know if Behringer is one of them with the latest X32 drivers.
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 1

Richard YClark;154841 wrote:
Very interesting but a bit puzzling. I always thought that it was one app to one ASIO device.

However I had heard that some suitably programmed audio software could possibly share an ASIO device driver as long as there were enough channels to split between them. So it seems that some manufacturers can supply multi client ASIO drivers. It would be nice to know if Behringer is one of them with the latest X32 drivers.

Sonar DAW software has an option in its preferences page to allow other devices to share audio drivers when it's not the 'focus' This option has been called different thigs by them in various incarnations of the software over the years. It is presently "Suspend audio engine when Sonar is Not in Focus" (a checkbox) older versions had 'release audio engine in the background' or something similar. I think it allows use of the asio drivers by other programs but I never used 2 programs at the same time that required it. I'm going to guess Windows has allowed it for a long while but the software in use has to also support it (or enable it). I always kept it checked as active but didn't think of it as capable of running software simultaneously and so never tried it-nor did I have a need to. I think Cubase has something similar, Not sure it's the same issue discussed here or not but thought I'ld share...