JosefHerbert Contributor - Level 2 2018-05-15

2018-05-15

X-Touch Extender for direct X32 control

What about a new firmware for the X-Touch extender to control an X32 directly via ethernet?

My suggestions for layout:
- press the first rotary encoder to move backward through the X32 channels in blocks of 8.
- press the second rotary encoder to move forward through the X32 channels in blocks of 8.
- rotary encoders control panning of the channels (if available)
- all other controls should behave like on a X-Touch Compact

A X-Touch Compact is no option for me, because there are no LCD channel strips.
A X-Touch (fullsize) is too big for me.

If the X-Toch extender gets a new firmware with this functionality, I would buy one.

• 2 Kudos
  • 26 Replies
Contributor - Level 1

Re: X-Touch Extender for direct X32 control

I was about to purchase 2 extenders and an xtouch to control our studio x32. Im baffled as to why this setup was not supported.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

+1 from me

I'm shocked and disheartened that this isn't a feature. I was planning to buy an x-touch plus extender to control my X32 rack, really bummed that this isn't possible Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

+One more user disappointed to find this thread, searching for a 16-fader remote control option. 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Just received X-32 Rack, X-Touch and X-Touch Extender and was looking over the Internet how to hookup Extender (have already working X-Touch with X-32 Rack) and found this topic…

I'm very unsatisfied with this thread Smiley Sad
I wanted to have extender to handle DAW **AND** X-32...

Music Group, please make an update of firmware to allow us to hookup Extenders along with standard X-Touch!

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

+1 for direct X32 controls. We are wanting to remotely control certain channels at one of our stadiums. We want the music guy to be able to control his audio and the audio from video content via a control surface at his location without having to put some inline volume controls. This would work perfect if had X32 direct controls. We don't need all that extra stuff that is on the regular X-Touch

On a side note, if I have a PC that I can put X32-edit on, would this work plugged into a USB on that PC? I can get X32-edit to control the X32 and my thought would be to plug the X-touch extender into the PC via USB to control the X32 sliders. TIA.

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@daf0555 wrote:

On a side note, if I have a PC that I can put X32-edit on, would this work plugged into a USB on that PC? 

All X32 control apps must connect via ethernet (or wifi). They communicate with the console using the OSC protocol via UDP. The USB is used for multi-track (32x32) audio only (for DAW etc.).

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

@daf0555 wrote:

On a side note, if I have a PC that I can put X32-edit on, would this work plugged into a USB on that PC? I can get X32-edit to control the X32 and my thought would be to plug the X-touch extender into the PC via USB to control the X32 sliders. 

It does work. The computer "translates" the USB from the Extender to OSC over ethernet. I made a video doing this using X32-edit (look in a previous post in this thread). It's pretty crude, but it works. Mixing station (Android or iOS), on the other hand, does it better. Either a custom layout or HUI mode will work. I also made a video of that https://youtu.be/IanHi-8nYaw . There is also a Raspberry Pi app that is designed for this very purpose. It has been discussed on the forum. I can't remember the name right now.