Contributor - Level 2

X-Touch controller question

I have an XRi8, I run the PA live while playing guitar in the band, changing fader levels quickly and safely for FOH and Monitors is treacherous with a track pad on the computer.

Thinking about an X-Touch controller? Looks like it will do the job but expensive for just basic fader control. Also ... I NEED tor backing tracks into the XR18 via USB from the computer. The X-Touch also needs to connect via USB to the computer. I am thinking a two USB slot laptop would do both devises ...... yes/no? I know the X-Control has a USB hub but would prefer going direct USB on both devices to the computer.

Also, any suggestions for an alternative reliable way to do external fader control on the XR18???
DonGeppert Contributor - Level 2 2018-10-19

2018-10-19

X-Touch controller question

I have an XRi8, I run the PA live while playing guitar in the band, changing fader levels quickly and safely for FOH and Monitors is treacherous with a track pad on the computer.

Thinking about an X-Touch controller? Looks like it will do the job but expensive for just basic fader control. Also ... I NEED tor backing tracks into the XR18 via USB from the computer. The X-Touch also needs to connect via USB to the computer. I am thinking a two USB slot laptop would do both devises ...... yes/no? I know the X-Control has a USB hub but would prefer going direct USB on both devices to the computer.

Also, any suggestions for an alternative reliable way to do external fader control on the XR18???

• 0 Kudos
  • 16 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X-Touch controller question

What program will you use as for the backingtracks?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Don Geppert;153950 wrote:
The X-Touch also needs to connect via USB to the computer.

Why do you need the X-Touch and the computer connected?

I have a FOH station that is basically a Raspberry Pi running the Linux app, plus a USB->Ethernet adapter (so 2 Enet ports total) with a crossover cable to the X-Touch. The Pi does a bit of IP magic to passthrough the Touch traffic but is otherwise completely separate from it.

I've had the idea for a while to build a fader bank as a USB HID device, then write a PC app to send OSC commands. Depending on how fancy I (or someone else) want to get, this could be anything from a single fader to a complete X-Touch replacement and more.

I probably won't get to start on it for quite some time, so if someone else wants to take this idea and run with it, please go ahead!
Super Contributor - Level 2

You could use an X-Touch Mini via a USB/Midi converter. See this thread for details.
Rock Star - Level 1

Rex Beckett;153962 wrote:
You could use an X-Touch Mini via a USB/Midi converter. See this thread for details.

You could use an Android tablet running Mixing Station Pro with an X-Touch Mini connected to it with an OTG cable.
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Robert .... I use Logic Pro X to play the backing tracks in multitrack format mixed mono, 3 vocalists, guitar DI (from pedal board), and Mandolin into the XR18. 4 monitor mixes and FOH.

Aaron .... I like to see the X-Air mixer, granted, with the X-Touch perhaps I wouldn't need to see the X-Air software, I am just used to it. I have had issues at times when I go to the track pad to move a fader that it can jump position radically, sometimes in the upward direction and if it is the FOH that is a huge problem so I have learned to always mute the fader first but then I can't adjust on the the fly. Being able to touch and move a physical fader would be a lot better for me.

Rex ... yes I was thinking possibly that the X-Touch mini might be an idea. Certainly much a more affordable price point? I am going to look into that.
Contributor - Level 2

Don Geppert;153968 wrote:
Aaron .... I like to see the X-Air mixer, granted, with the X-Touch perhaps I wouldn't need to see the X-Air software, I am just used to it.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The X-Touch does connect directly to the mixer through Ethernet, either with a direct crossover or through a router. (preferably with all static addresses either way if you really want it to work well) So you don't necessarily need another control surface at all.

All of the functions are available on the X-Touch, but the silkscreened labels are all wrong. It looks like it's meant for a different purpose, and then hacked/added-on to do this too. Kudos to Behringer though for trying to make it somewhat logical anyway, and somewhat succeeding. There are overlays here that might be helpful:
https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?22775-X-Touch-Overlay-Template
https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?13068-Might-have-a-run-of-X-Touch-overlays-made-Gauging-...
https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?21411-X-Touch-Layout-for-XR18

I still like the app available for things like RTA, EQ and compressor curves, overall view of everything, etc., but again, you don't necessarily *need* it if you have a Touch.

Don Geppert;153968 wrote:
I have had issues at times when I go to the track pad to move a fader that it can jump position radically, sometimes in the upward direction and if it is the FOH that is a huge problem

I found out during my first theatrical gig with an X-Air, that clearing a fader's number-entry field and then clicking out of it does *not* cancel the operation, but instead jumps to 0dB! Quite a surprise when the underscoring was supposed to be -5dB at the most (the "Shall We Dance" scene of "The King and I") and typically around -10 or -15, sometimes as low as -20.

I was going to type in something similar to what it was, then changed my mind. YEOW!!! DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!
Contributor - Level 2

Aaron .... my bad for not researching the "X-Touch" controllers properly ... yes I see that I can also ethernet connect it as well as USB. I use an external router for the wifi and of course it has lots of additional inputs. Also, I totally don't need the big X-Touch and the X-Touch compact would work but as I look at it more and more .... and since I am ONLY interested in a knob or fader for volume control over FOH and the Monitor masters, perhaps as Rex suggested, maybe a USB X-Touch Mini is all I really need?? I am running two laptops live ... one for the backing tracks via USB directly to the XR18 and the other (Running X-Air) via WIFI to the a router wired ethernet to the XR18. Assuming I could go direct into the second laptop USB from an X-Touch mini to get the hands on control I need?

Rex ... how do you configure the X-Touch mini to control the X-Air parameters you want? Does it have it's own editor?
Contributor - Level 2

Through all this I am now thinking, for the FOH anyways, ... I might just do this ...... analog, simple, balanced, eloquent .... I have one on my desktop for my monitors ... works perfect !!! FOH master level on a pot. Easy Peezy (technical term).

TC Electronic Level Pilot

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Computer-Audio/Accessories/LEVEL-PILOT/p/P0D71#...
Super Contributor - Level 2

Don Geppert;153992 wrote:
Rex ... how do you configure the X-Touch mini to control the X-Air parameters you want? Does it have it's own editor?

Yes the X-Touch Editor makes it easy to set the Mini's rotary controls and buttons to send (and receive) the appropriate Midi messages for the XR. There is one less-obvious parameter: Set the Global Midi channel to Off to avoid strange behavior of the LED rings.

If you configure one button to send value 127 to controller 1 on channel 1, the XR will perform a Midi dump which will synchronize the X-Touch Mini state.