Contributor - Level 2

X-Touch official MIDI implementation chart request

Where can I find an official MIDI implementation chart of the X-Touch MIDI MCU protocol?

I need more information which SYSEX commands are supported, because the behavior of several reset commands is not what I expected compared with other MCU products.

This would be very helpful for further surface controller development. Thanks.
ErwinEdwards Contributor - Level 2 2017-09-25

2017-09-25

X-Touch official MIDI implementation chart request

Where can I find an official MIDI implementation chart of the X-Touch MIDI MCU protocol?

I need more information which SYSEX commands are supported, because the behavior of several reset commands is not what I expected compared with other MCU products.

This would be very helpful for further surface controller development. Thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X-Touch official MIDI implementation chart request

List here which sysex you need help with and I'll check it out with the developers.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I've collected some SYSEX questions:

Q1) I'm comparing different MCU devices and see that the X-Touch does not send a SYSEX power-on command in the MCU protocol, such as:

0xf0, 0x00, 0x00, 0x66, 0x14, 0x01, 0x58, 0x59, 0x5a, 0xf7

What happens is that a running DAW does not inialize the device when the X-Touch is turned on and keeps the device in reset. In other words, the X-Touch must be powered _before_ starting the DAW and the X-Touch cannot be power-cycled in a running DAW without a restart of the surface controller driver.

It would be great if this power-on message can be send after power-on in firmware version 1.16 when the X-Touch is ready to receive commands. (Unfortunately we can't modify the firmware ourself)

Note: This is no problem in Xctl mode which must be refreshed every 6 seconds.

Q2) Can you confirm that the following MCU SYSEX reset commands are not implemented in firmware v1.15 MCU and Xctl protocols?

Faders to minimum:
0xf0, 0x00, 0x00, 0x66, 0x14, 0x61, 0xF7

All LEDs off
0xf0, 0x00, 0x00, 0x66, 0x14, 0x62, 0xF7

Reset (including empty display)
0xf0, 0x00, 0x00, 0x66, 0x14, 0x63, 0xF7

These commands can really speedup the startup and shutdown process of the DAW by sending only a few commands instead of several kilobytes of data (LED off, fader zero, clear display) over a slow MIDI bus.

Q3) I assume a fader touch sensitivity SYSEX command is not available? The touch response of the X-Touch faders is great in my opinion, but some devices supports changing the sensitivity value from 0 to 5 with default value 3. This is less important, but a nice bonus if it is already available / hidden feature.

Q4) Do you have a reason why Xctl is only available on the MIDI port and not over USB? Is that by design? Because I'd like to implement this in the DAW driver to support the color scribble display.

A complete implementation chart would be very helpful, but in the main time I've reverse engineered and documented all MIDI buttons, knobs and displays in MCU and X-Touch Mode myself. For SYSEX I only found display and XCTL device refreshing messages.

FYI: So far I found these MCU differences: One additional character per display and all buttons have a LED (except SMPTE/BEATS) and supported pedals compared with other devices.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Erwin
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Robert Lofgren;132305 wrote:
List here which sysex you need help with and I'll check it out with the developers.

Hello Robert,

Can you give me a status update about my questions?

Thanks,
Erwin
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

I never got a reply to this. I’ll give them a shout again...
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Any word on this? Im running in HUI mode and I would like to ba able to power cycle the X touch within Protools without shutting down the DAW. Im hoping this relates to the OP original post.

As the OP said the X touch must be turned on before the DAW is powered on otherwise the Daw will not see it
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Robert,

I'm waiting for 3 weeks now and did not receive an answer.

Can you provide me contact information of the project manager who's responsible for the X-Touch development? I want to contact the Behringer development manager directly and discuss why we need official documentation of this professional product. You can send me a private message if you want.

Note: We decided to stop the X-Touch integration in our DAW until we get an answer from Behringer.

Regards,
Erwin
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

I’m sorry Erwin, but I’m not allowed to share my contacts details.

I will try and ask them again... They are super busy right now. I know that they are working on a firmware update for the x-touch but I have no details as of yet other than exposing scribbles and led’s for user control.

Erwin Edwards;135721 wrote:
Robert,

I'm waiting for 3 weeks now and did not receive an answer.

Can you provide me contact information of the project manager who's responsible for the X-Touch development? I want to contact the Behringer development manager directly and discuss why we need official documentation of this professional product. You can send me a private message if you want.

Note: We decided to stop the X-Touch integration in our DAW until we get an answer from Behringer.

Regards,
Erwin