Contributor - Level 1

X-Touch with Ableton Live

Hi everyone,

I m thinking of buying the X-Touch to control Ableton live 9.5 and complement my Push controller.

Been going through many forums, reviews, videos, etc... but cannot find out the level of compatibility between X-Touch and Ableton DAW.

Has anyone have tried this setup? I m wondering what works and what doesn't. i.e. what key functions work out of the box? using which protocol (HUI or Mackie Control)? are the dynamic LCDs show track names? is the wheel working? is it easy to re-assign the rotary controllers to third party AU plugins?

Otherwise, I would go for the compact which seems more flexible. What I'd miss though are the dynamic LCDs which would be handy in my workflow (usually have more then 20 tracks per sessions).

Thanks for your feedback!
JohnSamuel Contributor - Level 1 2016-04-29

2016-04-29

X-Touch with Ableton Live

Hi everyone,

I m thinking of buying the X-Touch to control Ableton live 9.5 and complement my Push controller.

Been going through many forums, reviews, videos, etc... but cannot find out the level of compatibility between X-Touch and Ableton DAW.

Has anyone have tried this setup? I m wondering what works and what doesn't. i.e. what key functions work out of the box? using which protocol (HUI or Mackie Control)? are the dynamic LCDs show track names? is the wheel working? is it easy to re-assign the rotary controllers to third party AU plugins?

Otherwise, I would go for the compact which seems more flexible. What I'd miss though are the dynamic LCDs which would be handy in my workflow (usually have more then 20 tracks per sessions).

Thanks for your feedback!

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Discovered mapping between the Behringer X-Touch and Ableton Live 9.7.x

Ableton Live & Behringer X-Touch using Mackie Control Protocol notes:
For my second X-Touch device, the X-Touch Extender, I use MackieControlXT protocol. Works great. Makes the X-Touch Extender tracks 9-16.

CHANNELS
MAIN is linked to MASTER
FLIP works on PAN, SEND
Scribble Pads look great
REC, SOLO, MUTE and SELECT work as anticipated
Faders work nicely, but do not "SELECT" the track when touched. But, when touched, they do temporarily show the current level in the scribble pad.

ENCODER ASSIGN
TRACK switches between selecting Input, In channel, Output
Panning works nicely, tap rotary centers pan
EQ not selectable and does nothing
SEND shows sends for selected track (12 returns displayed nicely over all scribble pads)
PLUG-IN selectable, but doesn't serve a purpose
INST not selectable and does nothing

DISPLAY Transport time/beats displays as anticipated
Display Name/Value not selectable and does nothing
SMPTE/BEATS toggle works as anticipated

VIEWS
GLOBAL VIEW toggles between channels and returns
Remaining VIEW buttons are not selectable and do nothing

FUNCTION
F1 - F8 do not function out of the box
(1) The F Keys send Note F#2, G2, G#2, A2, A#2, B2, C3, C#3 and can be mapped to control things.

MODIFY

AUTOMATION
READ/OFF toggles Session [Light ON] and Arrangement [Light OFF] Views
TOUCH Shows left browser panel
WRITE Shows and toggles Clip & Device bottom panel. Enables next LATCH button.
LATCH Toggles [Light ON] Shows or [Light OFF] Hides bottom panel
TRIM When I modify a song, the TRIM button lights up instead of UTILTY/UNDO
GROUP behaves like a REDO function

UTILTY
SAVE not selectable and does nothing
CANCEL Places a MARKER in Arrangement View
UNDO Toggles Draw Mode [Light ON/OFF]
ENTER Toggles the Follow clip feature, No light indicator

TRANSPORT
MARKER jumps to the previous Marker
NUDGE jumps to the next Marker
CYCLE works as anticipated, toggles LOOP mode
DROP toggles the Punch-In Switch
REPLACE toggles the Punch-Out Switch
CLICK does not toggle Metronome
(1) CLICK Key sends Note F5 and can be mapped to toggle click. Light on X-Touch not toggled.
SOLO not selectable and does nothing
RW Moves 1 measure back
FF Moves 1 measure forward
STOP works as anticipated
PLAY works as anticipated
REC works as anticipated

JOG WHEEL cycles forward and back through the scenes
SCRUB launches the current Scene

FADER BANK Left and Right work as anticipated
CHANNEL Left and Right move the X-Touch view but not the selected channel

Navigation Up, Down, Left and Right work perfectly in the Session View. Center Zoom button launches the selected clip.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 - If you enable "MIDI Remote" for the X-Touch MC Devices, most buttons on the X-Touch send Key Notes and can be mapped to toggle click.

I will update this post as I determine more functionality between the Behringer X-Touch and Ableton Live 9.7.x.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: X-Touch with Ableton Live

Mark De Lorenzo;136020 wrote:
Ableton Live & Behringer X-Touch using Mackie Control Protocol notes:
For my second X-Touch device, the X-Touch Extender, I use MackieControlXT protocol. Works great. Makes the X-Touch Extender tracks 9-16.

I just bought myself an xtouch extender, and have Live10. I cannot figure out how to configure it to use the extender to do what you described above. What settings and/or changes did you make to make it work? Could you post how you have your control surfaces configured in Live?