Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

X-USB into DAW needs more gain

I've been reading as much as I can find (since I'm an absolute X32 newbie) regarding getting the X32 to interact with a DAW (I've tried PreSonus Studio One 4 Prime).

So far, I'm using a USB cable out of X-USB into my Windows 10 PC in a USB 2.0 (NOT USB 3.0) port. I've installed the X-USB ASIO Driver 4.11 and the machine sees the X32 just fine. When I use Studio One, I can setup my audio device and properly map Input 12 to a track.

The dB meter? works fine in the DAW. When I talk into the Audio Technica wireless mic, the X32 shows it at approx. -18 dB (I had to turn the preamp gain up to like +8.0 dB). However, when it shows up in Studio One, it's considerably softer.

I have done a bunch of tweaks in the Card routing (attempting to use Local 9 -16 or P16 9-16), I've also tried PreEQ vs. PreFader. And nothing seems to help the volume in the DAW.

We also have a TEAC 16x8 USB DAC that we used previously that still works great. I can set the gain on the channel of the TEAC and if I use this as my audio source in the DAW, then the volume is much better.

We only use this mic for sermon podcasts, but in my mind, having the TEAC is redundant and unnecessary equipment, considering our tiny sound room.

Any education or resources you can point me to is greatly appreciated.

X32 Console - Firmware 3.09
Windows 10 PC
Properly connected via ethernet (I used the Live Tool Box and X32DeskSave before the firmware update)
Connected via X-USB interface
Tags (1)
KyleDaley Contributor - Level 1 2019-01-02

2019-01-02

X-USB into DAW needs more gain

I've been reading as much as I can find (since I'm an absolute X32 newbie) regarding getting the X32 to interact with a DAW (I've tried PreSonus Studio One 4 Prime).

So far, I'm using a USB cable out of X-USB into my Windows 10 PC in a USB 2.0 (NOT USB 3.0) port. I've installed the X-USB ASIO Driver 4.11 and the machine sees the X32 just fine. When I use Studio One, I can setup my audio device and properly map Input 12 to a track.

The dB meter? works fine in the DAW. When I talk into the Audio Technica wireless mic, the X32 shows it at approx. -18 dB (I had to turn the preamp gain up to like +8.0 dB). However, when it shows up in Studio One, it's considerably softer.

I have done a bunch of tweaks in the Card routing (attempting to use Local 9 -16 or P16 9-16), I've also tried PreEQ vs. PreFader. And nothing seems to help the volume in the DAW.

We also have a TEAC 16x8 USB DAC that we used previously that still works great. I can set the gain on the channel of the TEAC and if I use this as my audio source in the DAW, then the volume is much better.

We only use this mic for sermon podcasts, but in my mind, having the TEAC is redundant and unnecessary equipment, considering our tiny sound room.

Any education or resources you can point me to is greatly appreciated.

X32 Console - Firmware 3.09
Windows 10 PC
Properly connected via ethernet (I used the Live Tool Box and X32DeskSave before the firmware update)
Connected via X-USB interface

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X-USB into DAW needs more gain

The daw meter is in a different scale.

In studio one it pegs out at +10dB while the mixer top out at 0dBFS. This means that even if you set your mixer to max gain peaking the level meter the daw will still show you 10dB less of the full meter.

Keep your average levels dancing around -18dBFS on the mixer and your daw should be very happy.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 1

Robert Lofgren;157953 wrote:
The daw meter is in a different scale.

In studio one it pegs out at +10dB while the mixer top out at 0dBFS. This means that even if you set your mixer to max gain peaking the level meter the daw will still show you 10dB less of the full meter.

Keep your average levels dancing around -18dBFS on the mixer and your daw should be very happy.

That's awesome info! I would have no idea idea.

The only question I have in regards to that is: the waveform is barely visible. Does that matter?
Volunteer Moderator

No, most (all?) daw’s have a data zoom if you need to look at the waveforms in more detail.

If you use plugins that emulates analog gear or doing similar tasks there is a good chance that they are calibrated to -18dBFS = 0dBVU. This is the same as the zero on your analog vu-meter.

Since you use studio one. Try to mix your audio to k-20 or k-14 on the master level meter. You can right-click the master meter and select a different metering system. This ought to give you a good start.

Kyle Daley;157963 wrote:
That's awesome info! I would have no idea idea.

The only question I have in regards to that is: the waveform is barely visible. Does that matter?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!