Contributor - Level 2

X18 and Logic Pro

Hi,
Any Logic Pro users with X18 in the studio as a Audio Interface, as well as use it for Mixing?
TreouserMac Contributor - Level 2 2016-05-25

2016-05-25

X18 and Logic Pro

Hi,
Any Logic Pro users with X18 in the studio as a Audio Interface, as well as use it for Mixing?

• 0 Kudos
  • 10 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: X18 and Logic Pro

Treouser Mac;77065 wrote:
Hi,

Anyone?
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, I use Logic Pro X for recording and mixing with XR18.
"Music is the closest thing to magic that we have"
Contributor - Level 2

Enrico Sau;77245 wrote:
Hi, I use Logic Pro X for recording and mixing with XR18.

Hi Sau! Thanks for your kind reply!
So, XR18 is just an Audio Interface for your recording? I'm curious about how much things or functions or features that I could use from XR18 during Recording, Mixing or even Mastering stage ?

Do you mind to share some of your experiences? Appreciate! Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Sau is my last name. My name is Enrico. Smiley Very Happy
Anyway, no problem, my classmates used to call me with my last name so is fine Smiley TongueSmiley TongueSmiley Tongue

I have a macbook with Logic Pro X.
When I connect the XR18 to the computers it is used as audio interface with 18 inputs and 18 outputs.
Sometimes I use the XR18 as a simple audio interface for recording. I connect every instrument to the mixer, record in logic, and mix later in logic.
Sometimes I record in logic while mixing in a live performance (most times), and than mix later in logic.
I record every channel from "analog" so that I can mix with XR18 while recording and I still have the clean sound recorded.
I also tried to mix with XR18 playing back the tracks via USB, and I can say is much better than logic, but I still use logic for mixing because it's easier to do at home and I can leave the XR18 in the studio.

If you are planning to record in logic and mix later, I recommend recording every channel from analog (this is the default setting for USB sends).

If you have any particular problems, submit them to the community, there is great people here!
Contributor - Level 2

Sau is my last name. My name is Enrico. Smiley Very Happy
Anyway, no problem, my classmates used to call me with my last name so is fine Smiley TongueSmiley TongueSmiley Tongue

Ops, I'm sorry Enrico, my bad

I have a macbook with Logic Pro X.
When I connect the XR18 to the computers it is used as audio interface with 18 inputs and 18 outputs.
Sometimes I use the XR18 as a simple audio interface for recording. I connect every instrument to the mixer, record in logic, and mix later in logic.
Sometimes I record in logic while mixing in a live performance (most times), and than mix later in logic.
** This means, LPX will automatically detected XR18 as Audio Interface and it just plug and plug with no need any driver, am I correct?

** How do you set the Input Level (Gain Staging)? Since XR18 doesn't come with any physical knob on board, are you using tablet to set it up?

I record every channel from "analog" so that I can mix with XR18 while recording and I still have the clean sound recorded.
** I don't get you, how's this works? Is this means bypassing EQ & Effects just recorded the raw source from Preamp?

I also tried to mix with XR18 playing back the tracks via USB, and I can say is much better than logic, but I still use logic for mixing because it's easier to do at home and I can leave the XR18 in the studio.
** is this means we can make use of AIR X's Effects / Plugins during the Post Production stage like Mixing and Mastering?

If you are planning to record in logic and mix later, I recommend recording every channel from analog (this is the default setting for USB sends).
** I'll using XR18 for Live Performance and Studio Recording, perhaps will do a live performance recording once in awhile. My question is, for an hour show multitracks recording, all tracks are stable recorded in LPX? Non of the track will be lagged?

Thanks for now Smiley Very Happy
Contributor - Level 2

** This means, LPX will automatically detected XR18 as Audio Interface and it just plug and plug with no need any driver, am I correct?
[Enrico] yes, just plug USB cable and you have the audio interface in logic preferences.

** How do you set the Input Level (Gain Staging)? Since XR18 doesn't come with any physical knob on board, are you using tablet to set it up?
[Enrico] You must set input gain in X-Air application either the mac one or the portable one.

** I don't get you, how's this works? Is this means bypassing EQ & Effects just recorded the raw source from Preamp?
[Enrico] Yes, the default routing sends the "analog" signal through the USB channels, if you want a different signal, for example after EQ, you have to edit routing preferences in X-Air app.

** is this means we can make use of AIR X's Effects / Plugins during the Post Production stage like Mixing and Mastering?
[Enrico] Yes, once you have recorded your session in logic, you can set the XR18 USB inputs as outputs for logic cahnnels, chennel 1 out 1, channel 2 out 2, and so on. Then, in X-Air app, set USB input source for every channel, intead of analog input source. In this way, you can replicate exactly the inputs you had in the XR18 when you recorded the session (if you don't apply any effect in logic), and use the XR EQs, effects, dynamics, and so on.

** I'll using XR18 for Live Performance and Studio Recording, perhaps will do a live performance recording once in awhile. My question is, for an hour show multitracks recording, all tracks are stable recorded in LPX? Non of the track will be lagged?
[Enrico] Absolutely no lag, it works great!
Contributor - Level 2

Enrico, appreciate your reply with details!

[Enrico] Yes, once you have recorded your session in logic, you can set the XR18 USB inputs as outputs for logic cahnnels, chennel 1 out 1, channel 2 out 2, and so on. Then, in X-Air app, set USB input source for every channel, intead of analog input source. In this way, you can replicate exactly the inputs you had in the XR18 when you recorded the session (if you don't apply any effect in logic), and use the XR EQs, effects, dynamics, and so on.

This sound awesome! In fact, I can't apply the both Logic & X Air effects in the same time? Like: I would love to insert Compressor and EQ from X Air, then insert Multipressor and Adaptive Limiter from LPX. Possible?
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, it is possible, but you need a little bit of routing here!
First, you need to send all recorded channels to xair inputs, apply everything you want and you will have your xair master stereo signal.
You havo to route the stereo out of xair into 2 usb channels, you ca do it if you have 2 free of the total 18.
In this way you will have two inputs in logic with the xair stereo out, and you can apply whatever logic effect.

Be aware that also xira have a great multiband compressor that you can use as insert in stereo out. it is called combinator.
Contributor - Level 2

Enrico Sau;77445 wrote:

First, you need to send all recorded channels to xair inputs, apply everything you want and you will have your xair master stereo signal.
You havo to route the stereo out of xair into 2 usb channels, you ca do it if you have 2 free of the total 18.
In this way you will have two inputs in logic with the xair stereo out, and you can apply whatever logic effect.

This is really interesting though it is a little bit tricky! As I know, most of the Plugins / Effects are very good, therefore I wish to use the both bunches of effects from the X Air & LPX to makeup my Mix, even Mastering stage! Thanks for the useful info!

I probably might need to give it a try when I received XR18. Then only can post my questions here if I stucked during the progress. Smiley Very Happy Btw, excited about that!