Contributor - Level 1

X32 Auto gain

I'm wondering if there is a feature on the X32 that automatically sets the gain to a predetermined level. I know there is auto mixing for the first 8 channels but I'm looking for something that would automatically set the level of each channel without user intervention. There are some other digital boards out there that touch on this but I wondered if there was even be some kind of plug in through the waves card.
Tags (1)
GrantTracey Contributor - Level 1 2018-10-16

2018-10-16

X32 Auto gain

I'm wondering if there is a feature on the X32 that automatically sets the gain to a predetermined level. I know there is auto mixing for the first 8 channels but I'm looking for something that would automatically set the level of each channel without user intervention. There are some other digital boards out there that touch on this but I wondered if there was even be some kind of plug in through the waves card.

• 0 Kudos
  • 15 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 Auto gain

Someone on this forum (was it Patrick?) made an app that sets the gain automatically for you.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Volunteer Moderator

Unfortunately his app is X32AutoMix (for up to 32 channels), not an autogain tool. To be honest, I don't think an autogain tool would be that practical. I remember when I was a kid (back in the 60's) there were a number of consumer type recording devices with autogain and the results were horrible. I was always trying to find a way to disable it.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Volunteer Moderator

No, it wasn’t patrick.

https://www.altheide.eu
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Volunteer Moderator

Robert Lofgren;153724 wrote:
No, it wasn’t patrick.

https://www.altheide.eu

Wow! You do have a good memory. I totally forgot about that app. Fortunately I did remember the author's name and have sent a message to him asking him if his app has been abandoned or not (that listing is about 4+ years old).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Volunteer Moderator

Well, I went to the supermarket the other day to buy something. I came home with everything else, except for the item I actually went there for.

Paul Vannatto;153727 wrote:
Wow! You do have a good memory.
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Grant and Robert,

I just got a response back from the developer of X32AutoGain (Friedrich Altheide) and he has confirmed that it has been abandoned long ago.
Volunteer Moderator

Was this a closed source project?

Paul Vannatto;153785 wrote:
Hi Grant and Robert,

I just got a response back from the developer of X32AutoGain (Friedrich Altheide) and he has confirmed that it has been abandoned long ago.
Volunteer Moderator

Robert Lofgren;153801 wrote:
Was this a closed source project?

Yes it was. But I could ask him if he would be willing to provide it to us. It was written in C (and you know how much I love C...". Maybe Patrick or others could have a look and resurrect it (can't call it Lazarus, because that is what I use to program my apps). I'll let you know what he says.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I've wanted this for quite some time, both here and on the X-Air series, but gave up asking for getting shot down.

I definitely DON'T want it to constantly hunt around! That would be annoying and unusable. I'm thinking more along the lines of "clip insurance", where you set a maximum allowable signal level and maybe some timing parameters, and it automatically drops the preamp gain to keep the meter below that. Downward adjustment only, without "recovering" like a compressor does. Once down, it stays down, and may drop further if it sees a higher peak. Manual adjustment is still available in either direction.

The usage that I imagine is to set the preamp a bit high on purpose, let this function run a while, then possibly disable it.

---

Extra brownie points if the downstream functions are also adjusted to offset the preamp changes, probably as a separate option. This should work for both automatic and manual adjustments in both directions, if enabled.