Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

X32 Losing Sync

Hello all,

I'm in the middle of a month long theatre show and I'm having some issues with the desk I bought earlier this month. It's a full size X32 with an S16, connected using a shielded 50m Cat5e Ethercon and running the latest firmware.

The desk is losing sync with the stage box seemingly randomly (causing a loud pop!) - it still recognises that it's an s16, but the AES box on the desk is red. It won't resync until I swap to the other AES port, and sometimes has to be reconnected multiple times to get it working. After that it works for a couple of hours and then goes off again. I've tried swapping sync master to no avail.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Cheers,
Louis
LouisLeatherbar Contributor - Level 1 2017-12-23

2017-12-23

X32 Losing Sync

Hello all,

I'm in the middle of a month long theatre show and I'm having some issues with the desk I bought earlier this month. It's a full size X32 with an S16, connected using a shielded 50m Cat5e Ethercon and running the latest firmware.

The desk is losing sync with the stage box seemingly randomly (causing a loud pop!) - it still recognises that it's an s16, but the AES box on the desk is red. It won't resync until I swap to the other AES port, and sometimes has to be reconnected multiple times to get it working. After that it works for a couple of hours and then goes off again. I've tried swapping sync master to no avail.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Cheers,
Louis

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 Losing Sync

Hi Louis,

Welcome to the forum. I haven't experienced what you described. But there have been previous postings with similar experience. The loss of sync is typically caused by one or more of the following issues
* AES50 cable is not correctly shielded. Either the cable itself is not STP type cable or the continuity of the shielding is broken. Check the housing of both ethercon ends using a continuity tester or multi-tester (on low ohm scale).
* The ethercon ends have not been securely inserted into the AES50 ports in the console or stagebox. Make sure they snap in place.
* Something has happened to one of the AES50 ports, possibly one of the small gold fingers have been dislodged or bent.
* The S16 stagebox does not have the latest firmware (2.2). If so, download the firmware update tool here (http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/I-O-Interfaces/S16/p/P0AJA/downloads). Instructions are provided.

If none of these resolve the issue, I would suggest you contact CARE and talk to them. Contact info is in my signature below.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into it.

Weirdly using a cheap Ethernet cable instead of an Ethercon between the snake and the desk seems to have solved the issue for now. Possibly an issue with the earth?
Volunteer Moderator

Louis Leatherbarrow;137490 wrote:
Possibly an issue with the earth?

Could it have anything to do with global warming??? Smiley Very Happy
All kidding aside, I did have a similar issue with the ultranet feeds to our church's P16M. Using shielded cat5e, we were getting a buzz. Using unshielded cable, the buzz disappeared. We know that there are issues with the electrical power on the stage (which was built in the 70's), but haven't had time to sort it all out (and crawl space underneath is not very fun to work in).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Super Contributor - Level 1

Paul Vannatto;137512 wrote:
Could it have anything to do with global warming??? Smiley Very Happy
All kidding aside, I did have a similar issue with the ultranet feeds to our church's P16M. Using shielded cat5e, we were getting a buzz. Using unshielded cable, the buzz disappeared. We know that there are issues with the electrical power on the stage (which was built in the 70's), but haven't had time to sort it all out (and crawl space underneath is not very fun to work in).

Paul, have you tested the power with a NCVT (Non Contact Voltage Tester)? It shows things a meter or plugin tester won't. Do you know what a bootleg ground is? And a Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground.
Contributor - Level 3

I have had the same issue with S16.
I changed everything and all connectors and cables correlated with Behringers tech. specs.

After a while I notice that one of the S16 needs a little bit longer to boot and sync than the others and loosing sync (like on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU5sOjJBpIo)
In case of ended warranty I orderd a powerplant (http://axelmeuther.wixsite.com/meutheramp) for the S16 and changed it by myself (changing needs no special tech-skills but you should have basic mechanical skills).

Until now there was no problem (for approx. 6 month).