Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

X32 Rack(FOH), M32C(Monitors), and 2 DL16’s routing question

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3849[/ATTACH]
I’m looking to add to my current X32 Rack and DL16 setup at our church. The X32 Rack is in the upstairs sound booth currently with the DL16. The Snake feeding the DL16 is coming from a sound closet upstairs. I am waiting on another DL16 to come in that will go on the stage. I’d like to move the DL16 from the booth to a closet upstairs to get rid of the snake going to the booth, getting rid of a bit of clutter. I’m also thinking about adding an M32C to run monitors off of, instead of the X32 Rack. It would either go on the stage or in the booth.

I attached what I was thinking with the M32C on the stage and am wondering if this would work?

Thanks for your help!
Tags (1)
JohnnyChandler Contributor - Level 3 2019-01-11

2019-01-11

X32 Rack(FOH), M32C(Monitors), and 2 DL16’s routing question

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3849[/ATTACH]
I’m looking to add to my current X32 Rack and DL16 setup at our church. The X32 Rack is in the upstairs sound booth currently with the DL16. The Snake feeding the DL16 is coming from a sound closet upstairs. I am waiting on another DL16 to come in that will go on the stage. I’d like to move the DL16 from the booth to a closet upstairs to get rid of the snake going to the booth, getting rid of a bit of clutter. I’m also thinking about adding an M32C to run monitors off of, instead of the X32 Rack. It would either go on the stage or in the booth.

I attached what I was thinking with the M32C on the stage and am wondering if this would work?

Thanks for your help!

• 0 Kudos
  • 14 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 Rack(FOH), M32C(Monitors), and 2 DL16’s routing question

You can't go from the DL16 B port into a mixer, the B port of the S/SD/DL16 stagebox is only for daisy chaining another stagebox. So you need to go (in your pic) from the Rack B port to the M32C A port and from the M32C B port to that DL A port. Rack FOH sync int, M32C Mon sync A. Not sure how that impacts where you place things. You may want to consider going from Rack to M32 and then both DL16's connect piggy back to the M32C.

Contributor - Level 3

Gary Higgins;158590 wrote:

You can't go from the DL16 B port into a mixer, the B port of the S/SD/DL16 stagebox is only for daisy chaining another stagebox. So you need to go (in your pic) from the Rack B port to the M32C A port and from the M32C B port to that DL A port. Rack FOH sync int, M32C Mon sync A. Not sure how that impacts where you place things. You may want to consider going from Rack to M32 and then both DL16's connect piggy back to the M32C.

Gary,
Thanks for the help! So this is what needs to be done, correct?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3851[/ATTACH]

Not sure it’s the best way for how your gear is physically located bit it will work connection wise.
Contributor - Level 3

Gary Higgins;158614 wrote:
Not sure it’s the best way for how your gear is physically located bit it will work connection wise.

Awesome! Thanks! It should work well. I actually drew that up last night a few minutes after the first one as a second option. I just went to sleep before the other post got approved and couldn’t add to it.

That layout will work for me. I haven’t decided where the M32C will go quite yet, but that would allow it to go in all three locations.

I plan on having it on a seperate network just to keep everyone off the FOH network to limit user error possibly adjusting any mix on the rack. If more people cared to understand how the setup actually works and how the wiring/routing worked, I wouldn’t think anything if it.

Thanks again for confirming this Gary!
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Johnny,
I am curious why you would choose an M32c over another X32Rack. The latter could be used as all kind of things, e.g. backup for the FOH X32, digital stagebox, ...
I don‘t know where you are located, but here in Germany, an X32Rack is even cheaper than an M32c. The only advantage for the M32c might be that it requires only 1u of rackspace, compared to 3u for the X32Rack.

Best regards
Stefan
Contributor - Level 3

Stefan vom Bruch;158713 wrote:
Hi Johnny,
I am curious why you would choose an M32c over another X32Rack. The latter could be used as all kind of things, e.g. backup for the FOH X32, digital stagebox, ...
I don‘t know where you are located, but here in Germany, an X32Rack is even cheaper than an M32c. The only advantage for the M32c might be that it requires only 1u of rackspace, compared to 3u for the X32Rack.

Best regards
Stefan

Stefan,

There are a couple of reasons why I went with the M32C. One is the size like you mentioned, another being that they are currently $200 off most places right now. It also has the 10 year warranty where the X32Rack has a 3 year. This is pretty much an “installed” system where I won’t need much versatility, it’s only real purpose is to have it’s buses available for monitors. It will probably have to do some time as the FOH mixer while I get the rack serviced for the out-of-box whine that comes with some units... With Mixing station and M32 Edit on my laptop running during services, I won’t be lost without the rack for a few weeks, or however long it takes.

Johnny
Contributor - Level 2

Johnny Chandler;158720 wrote:
Stefan,

There are a couple of reasons why I went with the M32C. One is the size like you mentioned, another being that they are currently $200 off most places right now. It also has the 10 year warranty where the X32Rack has a 3 year. This is pretty much an “installed” system where I won’t need much versatility, it’s only real purpose is to have it’s buses available for monitors.

I see, thanks for the explanation. I wasn’t aware of the extended warranty.
Contributor - Level 3

If I put the M32C between the DL16 and the X32rack, will that give control of the preamp gain to the M32? Or am I still able to set the X32 as the only one controlling gain?

Johnny Chandler;158772 wrote:
If I put the M32C between the DL16 and the X32rack, will that give control of the preamp gain to the M32? Or am I still able to set the X32 as the only one controlling gain?

You can't connect a mixer at all to the B port side of a DL16 (like you can on a DL32) without some major issues. So 'in between' (if I understand you) won't work. If HA remote is enabled on one desk and another desk is connected to it, then that MIXER, on the port specified, can control preamps. In your last diagram for instance, the M32 can control the DL16 (top left) preamps AND the X32 preamps IF the X32 enables HA remote on port B. In that case the M32 controls all preamps of both DL16's and the X32. A desk with HA Remote enabled can't even control it's own preamps any longer.