Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

X32 Rack / SD16 Routing question

I just bought a new X32 Rack with an SD16 stagebox.
Both updated with latest firmware.
I am struggeling with the output routing.
My goal is to have output 1-8 on the SD16 and 9-16 on the Rack.
In (X32 Edit 3.2) Routing -> XLR Output I see only the horizontal lines 'Output 1-4' and 'Output 5-8'.
I expected to see also 'Output 9-12' and 'Output 13-16'.
What am I missing?
Also about the output select switch on the SD16: how should I set it for this goal?

(The SD16 shows green in the X32 Rack display)

Thanks in advance for your help, highly appreciated!
AnthonieHunter Contributor - Level 2 2018-01-06

2018-01-06

X32 Rack / SD16 Routing question

I just bought a new X32 Rack with an SD16 stagebox.
Both updated with latest firmware.
I am struggeling with the output routing.
My goal is to have output 1-8 on the SD16 and 9-16 on the Rack.
In (X32 Edit 3.2) Routing -> XLR Output I see only the horizontal lines 'Output 1-4' and 'Output 5-8'.
What am I missing?
Also about the output select switch on the SD16: how should I set it for this goal?

(The SD16 shows green in the X32 Rack display)

Thanks in advance for your help, highly appreciated!

• 0 Kudos
  • 14 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: X32 Rack / SD16 Routing question

You won't see those since the X32 Rack only has eight XLR output sockets. Remember that that part of the routing is only for what is actually sent to the eight available sockets. The part where you actually select what mixer outputs to send is in the Output 1-16 page. And then select output 9-16 for XLRs 1-4 and 5-8.
Rising Star - Level 2

Just a bit more info. The switch on the SD16 should be in the 1-8 position. The Rack has only 8 outs as Richard said but you can still select what sources go there. Look over to the right of the XLR menu, after 'card' and before 'ultranet' there you will see out 1-8 and out 9-16 however the rack xlr's are represented on the left side and in groups of 4. For the 1-4, 5-8 rack outputs (top 8) on the left, check off the 9-12 and 13-16 boxes on the right. 9-12 will be output from the Rack 1-4 xlr's and 13-16 wil be from 5-8 xlr's. For as simple as it looks that menu takes some getting used to. Also as Richard stated, what is actually ouput from the XLR's is determined in the "output 1-16" routing column.
Contributor - Level 3

As others have said:

Routing>Out1-16:
Output1-8: Whatever signals you want to appear on the SD16's XLR outs. The block with these signals is referenced as "out1-8" in the rest of the routing table.
Output9-16: Whatever signals you want to appear on the console's own XLR outs.
^"Stages" your signals.
The block with these signals is referenced as "out9-16" in the rest of the routing table.

Routing>AES50A (Assuming using the "A" socket on the console to connect to the SD16)
Output1-8: out1-8
^dumps the "out1-8" block (the top half of the "out1-16" tab in which you previously "staged" signals) into the AES50 stream to feed the stagebox. This should be the default setting.

Routing>XLR Out
Output1-4: out9-12
Output5-8: out13-16
^Tells the console to put the "out9-16" block (the bottom half of the "out1-16" tab where you previously staged signals) on its own XLR outs.

On the SD16: Switch on the side set to "Out1-8."
^Tells the stagebox which part of the incoming AES50 stream to put on it's XLR outs.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks to all of you I figured it out, after a lot of trial and error
I expected the X32 Rack + SD16 together to behave like a X32 console.
It can, but it shows different in the routing pages.

One more question:
If I want to save the scene in X32 Edit to my laptop, I see checkboxes for several options to include, but not the I/O routing. How can I save that?

Thanks for your effort!
Volunteer Moderator

Anthonie Hunter;138212 wrote:
If I want to save the scene in X32 Edit to my laptop, I see checkboxes for several options to include, but not the I/O routing. How can I save that?

Anthonie, scenes save (almost) everything, including routing. What you are seeing are recall safes that can be applied when loading scenes.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Paul,

I guess I am confused by the checkboxes, where Routing is not an option to check on or off.
But I did a test (initialize the Rack -> Routing was gone, load scene -> Routing in place).
I am happy to have the Rack working and setup as I intended.

Thanks guys for all the effort you put in this forum!
Contributor - Level 2

So far I worked almost 3 years with my XR18 (a fantastic peace of gear!).
With an increasing number of shows I felt the need for a backup mixer.
So this is my new setup, and the XR18 will be my backup, or for small jobs.
Volunteer Moderator

Glad to hear it is working as expected Anthonie. Is that screenshot of your X32-Edit? If so what version? X32-Edit 3.20 clearly labels them as scene safes
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, this screenshot is from X32 Edit 3.2 on Windows 10.
It is what I see when I click on 'Save', the most left button of Save-Load-Copy-Paste.