Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

X32 Rack USB multi channel record and playback routing.

Could someone confirm or explain the USB routing for the X32 Rack vs the X32 Full Console? I want to be able to record the entire band, which consists of 17 input channels. I am using 5 vocals, 2 guitars, 1 Acoustic guitar (DI in), one Bass (DI in), 1 Keyboard, and 7 Drum Mics. I put the Acoustic Guitar into AUX 1 input and set a channel strip to use Aux 1 as the source, so I have 17 channel strips I want to record into the DAW. It seems to me, that on the x32 Rack, I can only route 1 -16 channels into the USB out / in.
Tags (1)
JeffNelson Contributor - Level 3 2019-01-24

2019-01-24

X32 Rack USB multi channel record and playback routing.

Could someone confirm or explain the USB routing for the X32 Rack vs the X32 Full Console? I want to be able to record the entire band, which consists of 17 input channels. I am using 5 vocals, 2 guitars, 1 Acoustic guitar (DI in), one Bass (DI in), 1 Keyboard, and 7 Drum Mics. I put the Acoustic Guitar into AUX 1 input and set a channel strip to use Aux 1 as the source, so I have 17 channel strips I want to record into the DAW. It seems to me, that on the x32 Rack, I can only route 1 -16 channels into the USB out / in.

• 0 Kudos
  • 14 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 Rack USB multi channel record and playback routing.

AFAIK, all X32 models share the same routing possibilities, but here you're trying to include an aux input, you have to specify it in your "ouputs" page.
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Jeff,

Your issue does not involve the routing. Rather it is an indication that the card is only set to 16 out. To change that, goto the Setup, card screen and change it to 31 in / 32 out.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

Paul Vannatto;159263 wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Your issue does not involve the routing. Rather it is an indication that the card is only set to 16 out. To change that, goto the Setup, card screen and change it to 31 in / 32 out.

I will try again tonight. I have selected all 1-8, 9-16, 17-24 and 25-32 in the routing page, but it seems to be only sending the physical XLR channels 1-16 out the USB interface. I have some duplicate channels on 25-32 for vocals and guitars that I have additional effects on, and nothing over channel 16 is going out the USB.
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Jeff,

Which card do you have installed in the X32 Rack? If it is the X-USB, my instructions above should setup that card for 32 channel bidirectional. If you have the newer X-Live card, there is an additional setting on the X-Live interface screen that also sets the recording to 8, 16 or 32 channels.

If it is a routing issue, I would suggest you upload your scene file so that we can have a better look. Here are the instructions.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

I will check the above tonight and see what I come up with. Thanks!
Contributor - Level 3

Paul Vannatto;159266 wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Which card do you have installed in the X32 Rack? If it is the X-USB, my instructions above should setup that card for 32 channel bidirectional. If you have the newer X-Live card, there is an additional setting on the X-Live interface screen that also sets the recording to 8, 16 or 32 channels.

If it is a routing issue, I would suggest you upload your scene file so that we can have a better look. Here are the instructions.

I have the X-USB card. It just seems to me that the card is getting its signal from the Physical XLR inputs 1-16. I have uploaded the scene file. You will see that my channel 11 is getting source or Aux 1, which is not coming into my PC via the USB. Whatever I plug into the physical xlr input 1-16 is it. None of my 17 through 32 are coming in. You will also see that I am skipping channels 6,7,8,14,15,16, and have set the source of each of the channel strips past 5 accordingly to account for only 16 xlr inputs. I did this because I primarily mix on Ipad, and I want all the vocals, instruments, and drums on their own respective layer. Also , if we need to add another vocal mic or instrument, I wont need to rearrange the whole thing. I can just add it and reset the input sources.
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the scene file. The reason why you not getting all of your inputs to the DAW is due to a misunderstanding of the "Local" input type. Local gets its signals from the XLR jacks (just after the preamp stage) and have no correlation to the channel strip arrangement. Furthermore, 1 of your inputs (chan 11 "Chris") is Aux 1. If you need to mix-match in channel strip order, you will need to use either the Out 1-16 and/or Ultranet screens to stage one (or more) banks of 8 that can be assigned to the card out screen.
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the follow up. The main reason I had channel 11 source from Aux1 is due to the assumption I was having that I would only be able to record 16 channels, I didn't want to drop off channel 17 which is one of the drums. Channel 11 is acoustic guitar, and the same guy has the Keyboard that he plays most songs on. The Acoustic guitar is only used on an handful of songs. We are doing a rehearsal session in a couple weeks, and If I couldn't figure out the 32 channel recording by then, I would at least be able to record / playback the whole band minus the acoustic guitar. If I can get all the channels coming through, I will change channel 17 to the AUX1input. So now that my assumption (Local 1-8, 9-16) are the physical XLR jacks, Im still confused on what I use if its not that. I guess that leads to another question. Since Channel 17 is a Drum Microphone, and if I were to switch that to Aux 1 source, is that going to work, since channel 17 doesn't have a Mic Preamp?
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Jeff,

Again you are confusing channel strips with physical inputs. Channel 17 (Kick) is actually IN10 (as the source) which is Local 10.

I just realized that there is a simple solution. On the Routing, card out screen, change the Outputs 17-24 to AuxIn 1-6/TB. This way you will get that one channel with Aux 1 as source as the 17th channel in the DAW. Granted, the channel order in the DAW won't necessarily correlate to the X32 channel strips. But at least you will get all of your inputs.