Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

X32 Rack as a Stagebox

Hi everyone,

Shortly after I purchased my second X32 Rack (April 2014), it dawned on me that it could be configured to emulate an S16 (the only Behringer stagebox available at that time) with some creative routing and a few firmware tweaks. Fortunately the Behringer staff also saw the potential and added a feature separating the Routing Out 1-16 from the physical XLR outputs in a firmware release which made this all possible.

At the same time, I was learning how scenes and snippets worked and discovered the power of using these. Out of this came the development of the S16 Cascade package. Later someone here on the forum requested the ability to access the Aux In of the X32 Rack as part of this emulation - thus the S16 +AuxIn package was created.

Just this week, someone requested the ability to access both Aux In and Aux Out of the X32 Rack. So tonight I spent the time to create the S16 +AuxInOut package to provide this functionality. This package is currently (May 10, 2018) released as a beta, since it hasn't been thoroughly tested. I also completely rewrote the readme files of each of the packages, hopefully making it clearer how these packages work and how to configure the main X32 to utilize these packages.

Attached are the 3 packages. The S16 Cascade and S16 +AuxIn have been used by myself and many others and have been proven to be great tools. The S16 +AuxInOut needs thorough testing. Hopefully this weekend I'll have an opportunity to test it out, but would welcome any other testers. Please let me know if there are any bugs or issues.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Paul_Vannatto Volunteer Moderator 2018-05-10

2018-05-10

X32 Rack as a Stagebox

Hi everyone,

Shortly after I purchased my second X32 Rack (April 2014), it dawned on me that it could be configured to emulate an S16 (the only Behringer stagebox available at that time) with some creative routing and a few firmware tweaks. Fortunately the Behringer staff also saw the potential and added a feature separating the Routing Out 1-16 from the physical XLR outputs in a firmware release which made this all possible.

At the same time, I was learning how scenes and snippets worked and discovered the power of using these. Out of this came the development of the S16 Cascade package. Later someone here on the forum requested the ability to access the Aux In of the X32 Rack as part of this emulation - thus the S16 +AuxIn package was created.

Just this week, someone requested the ability to access both Aux In and Aux Out of the X32 Rack. So tonight I spent the time to create the S16 +AuxInOut package to provide this functionality. This package is currently (May 10, 2018) released as a beta, since it hasn't been thoroughly tested. I also completely rewrote the readme files of each of the packages, hopefully making it clearer how these packages work and how to configure the main X32 to utilize these packages.

Attached are the 3 packages. The S16 Cascade and S16 +AuxIn have been used by myself and many others and have been proven to be great tools. The S16 +AuxInOut needs thorough testing. Hopefully this weekend I'll have an opportunity to test it out, but would welcome any other testers. Please let me know if there are any bugs or issues.

• 1 Kudo
  • 46 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Really Struggling

Paul Vannatto;145724 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi Paul,

I am brand new to this thread and to the x32 platform. I am working on building a portable pa system for our church. Based on a post of yours I opted for buying two X32 racks, instead of one rack and an s16. My hope was to be able to double my i/o. I have everything hooked up and working properly. I am now at the stage of getting the two racks connected and talking to each other/routed properly. I am totally stumped on this stage. They are connected and the aes550 port A is lit on both consoles displaying the words x32 rack.

My issue is in routing. To be honest I don't even know how to phrase the question or to specify my issue. My goal is to us the top rack as the master and bottom as slave. Top rack will use auxes 7 and 8 to feed the mains, like they are designed to do. The bottom rack will use all 8 auxes to feed a headphone amp for MONs. But I would also like have auxes 1-6 available on the top rack in the event I need more monitor mixes than 8. I would also like to have access to all 32 ins from both boards combined. As of now, I am limited to 16, and in routing and I am having to choose between the top or bottom rack.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am very close to having this system fully functional but this routing is kicking my butt at the moment.

Thanks in advance!
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 Rack as a Stagebox

Hi Reggie,

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear that you have chosen the dual Rack setup for your portable church PA. Routing can be a real challenge especially at the beginning. Fortunately some of the Behringer staff very patiently answered (numerous times) my many questions until the "light came on".

I'm not sure by your explanation whether you have already loaded the S16 Cascade.scn scene file and the X32 Slave A.snp snippet file (from the S16 Cascade.zip package above) to setup the secondary Rack as an equivalent to an S16 or not. Are the sync lights between the 2 Racks green or red? If they are green, that means you have already figured out how to make the secondary Rack as a slave.

If you have loaded those files, the X32 Rack should be all setup. All that is needed is to setup the primary Rack to feed from and to the secondary Rack.

Please let me know where exactly you are at in this process and where you need routing help.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;146095 wrote:
Hi Reggie,

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear that you have chosen the dual Rack setup for your portable church PA. Routing can be a real challenge especially at the beginning. Fortunately some of the Behringer staff very patiently answered (numerous times) my many questions until the "light came on".

I'm not sure by your explanation whether you have already loaded the S16 Cascade.scn scene file and the X32 Slave A.snp snippet file (from the S16 Cascade.zip package above) to setup the secondary Rack as an equivalent to an S16 or not. Are the sync lights between the 2 Racks green or red? If they are green, that means you have already figured out how to make the secondary Rack as a slave.

If you have loaded those files, the X32 Rack should be all setup. All that is needed is to setup the primary Rack to feed from and to the secondary Rack.

Please let me know where exactly you are at in this process and where you need routing help.

Thanks for the reply!

I have not loaded either of the files that you mentioned but I will try that right now. I am not exactly sure how to load the files though. I assume from the powered off state I hold the usb button, just like a firmware update. I will try that now.

Luckilyy the port light on both units are green, and both say x32 rack (with the word 'rack' in a smaller font. I hope this means I am in master/slave mode indeed.

I'll attempt to load the files now holding the USB button. If that is wrong and I need to do it another way, please let me know. I also assume that I need to upload both files onto both racks.
Contributor - Level 2

Not able to upload

Just as you suggested I attempted to load s16 cascade.scn and x32 slave A.snp, both from the s16 cascade folder. I did this by dragging those two files out of their folders and onto the main "page" of my flash drive. I then plugged it in to the rack and from a powered off state, I powered on holding down the usb button. It was a fail. It displayed a message that said No update file found.

What did I do wrong? Clearly a newbie here. Smiley Happy
Volunteer Moderator

Reggi Beasley;146115 wrote:
Luckilyy the port light on both units are green, and both say x32 rack (with the word 'rack' in a smaller font. I hope this means I am in master/slave mode indeed.

That means that someone has setup one of the X32 Rack as master clock and the other as slave, which means you don't need the X32 Slave A.snp loaded as mentioned above.

I'll attempt to load the files now holding the USB button. If that is wrong and I need to do it another way, please let me know. I also assume that I need to upload both files onto both racks.

No loading scenes and snippets are very different than installing firmware updates.

Here are the instructions:
* Unzip the S16 Cascade.scn file from S16 Cascade.zip file and transfer it to a USB stick (2.0, not 3.0).
* Insert the USB stick into the front USB port of the secondary X32 Rack
* Select the Scene button on right side of display
* If the scene list is not showing, use the left or right arrows to go to the Scene tab.
* Select an unused spot on the scene list using the first encoder.
* Select the Utility button to the right of the display
* Select Import (5th encoder)
* Select the S16 Cascade.scn from the USB stick and select (import or OK - can't remember and not in front of the Rack)
* Once it is on the scene list, select Go (1st encoder) to load the scene.
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;146118 wrote:
That means that someone has setup one of the X32 Rack as master clock and the other as slave, which means you don't need the X32 Slave A.snp loaded as mentioned above.

No loading scenes and snippets are very different than installing firmware updates.

Here are the instructions:
* Unzip the S16 Cascade.scn file from S16 Cascade.zip file and transfer it to a USB stick (2.0, not 3.0).
* Insert the USB stick into the front USB port of the secondary X32 Rack
* Select the Scene button on right side of display
* If the scene list is not showing, use the left or right arrows to go to the Scene tab.
* Select an unused spot on the scene list using the first encoder.
* Select the Utility button to the right of the display
* Select Import (5th encoder)
* Select the S16 Cascade.scn from the USB stick and select (import or OK - can't remember and not in front of the Rack)
* Once it is on the scene list, select Go (1st encoder) to load the scene.

Thanks! I'll try ASAP... Please disregard my last post as I had yet to see your reply.
Volunteer Moderator

No problem Reggie,

When you get that loaded, the secondary Rack will become just like an S16. The next step is to setup the routing on the primary Rack. You need to tell me how you want your inputs (eg 1st 16 from primary Rack, 2nd 16 from secondary Rack), and outputs (what you want to go out of what output jacks.
Contributor - Level 2

On to inputs and outputs

Paul Vannatto;146120 wrote:
No problem Reggie,

When you get that loaded, the secondary Rack will become just like an S16. The next step is to setup the routing on the primary Rack. You need to tell me how you want your inputs (eg 1st 16 from primary Rack, 2nd 16 from secondary Rack), and outputs (what you want to go out of what output jacks.

OK. I followed all of the steps listed above to a T. I believe it was successful, even though I really don't have an indication of such at the moment. But I trust all is well.

I assume now I am on to routing on the primary rack.

My initial idea (open to suggestions) is that the master/top rack will be inputs 1-16 and outs 7 and 8 will feed my mains in stereo. This will leave outs 1-6 as bonus monitor mixes only if ever needed which would be very rare. These will become outs 9-14 i assume?

The bottom/slave rack will be ins 17-32. Meanwhile the outs 1-8 will feed a headphone amp, also rack mounted- the behringer ha8000.

Does all of this seem logical or is there a better way?
Volunteer Moderator

HI Reggie,

Sorry for the delay. I was working on a Live Toolbox bug that was driving me nuts for the past 2 weeks - finally got it squished.

Your suggestions of what you want is all OK. Do you prefer to set this up using the Rack front panel or use the X32 Edit (Windows, Mac, linux or Raspberry Pi)? It makes a difference as to how to describe each step of instructions.