Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

X32 / S32 gain split

Hello,
this is my setup

X32 at f.o.h.
S32 on stage

Would you better explain global options "Lock Stagebox" "HA gain Split" "HA remote" ???

How should I set these ???

thanks
Tags (1)
SimoneGiusti Contributor - Level 3 2018-10-09

2018-10-09

X32 / S32 gain split

Hello,
this is my setup

X32 at f.o.h.
S32 on stage

Would you better explain global options "Lock Stagebox" "HA gain Split" "HA remote" ???

How should I set these ???

thanks

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 / S32 gain split

Hi Simone,

The Lock Stagebox is only useful with the S16 and DL16 that have a front interface that can adjust the preamps, modes, etc. It is useless with the S32

The HA Remote provides a means of relinquishing preamp control (gains, phantom) to the console connected to the AES50 (A or B). For a single console eco-system like what you describe, do not use it.

The HA Gain split adds a digital trim to all of the channel input strips. That means that the console that has preamp control has to make the physical preamp adjustments on the Setup, preamp screen. For a single console setup, the only value this would have is if you wish to duplicate channels on that console and have different digital trims. I rarely use it.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

TLDR: leave them all off.

"Lock stagebox" is an option for the DL\S16s, whose preamp gains can be controlled via the front panel on the stagebox. This option can stop the front panel on those stageboxes from adjusting the stagebox's preamps. It doesn't apply to the SD series, or the DL\S32, as they don't have the front panel controls.

"HA gain split" exposes a -+18dB digital trim at the top of each channel, which allows you to adjust the input level of a channel without affecting the preamp (and therefore without affecting any other channel fed by that same preamp, eg in a FOH\monitor split.) It's also useful on the "proper" Midas preamps (M32\DL stageboxes) which have the signature Midas sound (compression on the 2nd harmonic,) you can drive the preamp into saturation to get that "signature" sound, then use the digital trim to maintain the sound but bring its level down to something sensible to fit with the rest of your gain structure. If you're not running a separate monitor console\have duplicated channels for exclusive monitor use\don't have any M32\DL stageboxes, you can probably leave it turned off.

HA remote passes preamp control away from your own console to another, eg if you had S32>X32(Monitors)>X32(FOH)>X32(Broadcast,) only one console can control the S32's preamp gains, and that console would normally be the console plugged directly into the S32: the monitor console. Using the HA remote option on the monitor console, you could pass preamp control to the FOH console, allowing the FOH console to control the S32's preamp gains. If you wanted you could engage the HA remote option on the FOH console too, and pass preamp control off to the broadcast console if you really wanted. With only one console being used in your application, you should leave it off. Turning it on could mean preamp control is passed off to a console that doesn't exist, then you wouldn't be able to adjust your preamps anymore.

Edit: What Paul said.
Contributor - Level 3

really appreciated !
Thanks.
Contributor - Level 3

Paul Vannatto;153415 wrote:
The HA Gain split adds a digital trim to all of the channel input strips. That means that the console that has preamp control has to make the physical preamp adjustments on the Setup, preamp screen. For a single console setup, the only value this would have is if you wish to duplicate channels on that console and have different digital trims. I rarely use it.
I use it all the time, it is create for hot channel recording while channels can still be adjusted with trims.
Varomedia theater audio solutions
Contributor - Level 1

Hi all. Just unpacked our new DL16s for the first time, after using our M32 for a season. I'm still new to using digital snakes. Looking for best practices, I found this thread, but still have questions. And the manual, frankly, is underwhelming...

Like the OP, i have a board and a snake. Pretty simple, and I set the DL16 as my clock on AES50A. Done, and got sound out of a channel. Great.

But why is it so quiet? My test setup was a short cable, so I'm not getting any loss due to cable runs across my theatre. The above post indicated I could turn off all the features, but is this the result I'm to get? I'm getting the idea elsewhere that you have to raise the signal to a healthy level before the digital conversion...but to what? Is there a handy formula or guide? Because setting individual levels on each channel to each source sounds like a headache scenario. I've had a headamp on a snake once before and didn't know it, and no one zeroed it out for us beforehand, and it was a disaster getting where we needed to be.

I have to teach this stuff to my students, so I'd like to get it right, not just for me. Thanks!
-brian
Volunteer Moderator

Brian Kelly;153944 wrote:
I set the DL16 as my clock on AES50A. Done, and got sound out of a channel. Great.

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum. First mistake. The clock in the DL16 is meant to be use only in standalone (2 DL16 connected as a digital snake). See here. Please change this to have the M32 as the master clock.

But why is it so quiet?

I would suggest you post your scene file so that we can have a look and better advise. Here are the instructions
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!