Contributor - Level 1

X32 USB Recording to flash drive stops

We have been recording our church services, mainly just the pastor's message, to USB flash drive every Sunday since we purchased our X32 nearly 4 years ago with no issue. In the last few months, the recording has started randomly stopping. If the sound guys are not looking right at it, we lose the complete recording. We have tried several different USB drives and that doesn't help.

The only thing we have changed recently is installing the X-Live card and upgrading firmware to 3.08. I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue, but it just seems odd that this problem has just started showing up.

I know we could start using the X-Live card to record, but the flash drives are so much easier to transfer the file to our online podcast. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Randy
RandyCherry Contributor - Level 1 2018-09-10

2018-09-10

X32 USB Recording to flash drive stops

We have been recording our church services, mainly just the pastor's message, to USB flash drive every Sunday since we purchased our X32 nearly 4 years ago with no issue. In the last few months, the recording has started randomly stopping. If the sound guys are not looking right at it, we lose the complete recording. We have tried several different USB drives and that doesn't help.

The only thing we have changed recently is installing the X-Live card and upgrading firmware to 3.08. I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue, but it just seems odd that this problem has just started showing up.

I know we could start using the X-Live card to record, but the flash drives are so much easier to transfer the file to our online podcast. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Randy

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: X32 USB Recording to flash drive stops

Randy Cherry;151903 wrote:

Randy

USB memory sticks, drives, thumb drives, or whatever people are calling them lately, I am never sure what to call them, can wear out. The other thing that can mess up the reliability of writing to them in a situation as intense as recording audio to them is you can get a lot of non contiguous blocks. That is caused by writing to them over and over and erasing some files. Have you tried reformatting the “USB drive” and I am not talking about a Quick format but a thorough format. You want to do a format that does more than just erasing the names of the files, but that thoroughly goes thru and erases everything and also checks to see if there are any bad parts on the USB device.

Are these memory devices used for anything else AT ALL besides recording the audio? Just because something seems to work for a long time doesn’t mean it won’t fail or wear out at some time.

If I was recording something IMPORTANT I wouldn’t rely on only one thing recording I would have a backup method. I would even use an external recorder of some sort.
Contributor - Level 1

USB Recording

We are having the same problem on our M32. I have updated the firmware to 3.09 and did a full format on the stick. with no luck. It is a 2 gig stick . These are not expensive devices but seem to work fine in a computer. Any suggestions?
Audioguy#
Highlighted
Regular Contributor - Level 1

Re: USB Recording

Not seeing any resolution to this topic.

Brand new M32.  Firmware 3.11.

Not a lot of history, but first 4w of use recorded full service with no issues.  Now without warning USB recorder stops randomly.  Sometimes 2min, sometimes 35s, sometimes 10min.  Cannot find a reason or corresponding indicator.

Any suggestions?

Dwayne A

Rising Star - Level 1

@DwayneAasberg 

Have you tried a new stick? Recording puts a continuous load on the flash drive. Some drives can dissipate heat better than others. I've burned out more than a few drives because of overheating. They would work for a while and then randomly freak out and claim they needed to be formatted again. They were never reliable after that. 

Regular Contributor - Level 1

Hey @DaveMorrison 

Thx for your reply.

We were down that path you were replying.  We've learned that some sticks work every time, and some are less reliable.  We will be testing each new stick for compatibility.  I suspect that the sticks we are trying to use are no-name 5-to-a-blister-pack sticks.  The most reliable recording we had all night was a Verbatim stick I use for work.  We will test different sticks and be more carefull going forward.

Final advice for others searching this thread - not all sticks are created equal.