Contributor - Level 2

X32 and sample rate issue in Windows 10

Greetings!  I am at my wits end trying to solve an issue.  I am running Windows 10 with a pretty zippy system (includes 16 GB RAM and i7 quad processor).  The Main drive is a 500GB SSD.  The issue I am having is that is seems as though windows is locked to 48KHZ.  As longas the X32 is in 48 Khz, everything is fine.  I can play wav files, youtube, and do recording and mixing via Cakewalk (my DAW).  The challenge is with a few older cakewalk projects that were recorded at 44.1.  If I switch the mixer to 44.1, nothing will play (and it gives me errors).  However, within cakewalk, I CAN set it to 44.1 within the software AND within the X32.  My project will play fine.  However, when I render it down, it has clicks and pops in it.  I've done the typical things like remove all effect, problem persists.  I have upgraded all drivers to the most recent (including 6.13 for the X32's X-UF drivers) and updates all firmware (inlcuding now running 3.08 on the x32).  I've also played with the latency, to no avail.  If I were to guess at the problem, it seems like a clock issue, with the computer NOT following the X32 when the sample rate is changed to 44.1.  The weirdness of this sort of working within the DAW is a real puzzle (but maybe a clue to a smart person out there).  A workaround is for me to do everything in 48Khz, but I really have a number of older projects in 44.1 that need to be finished too.  I look forward to your suggestions.

SteveKatsikas Contributor - Level 2 2019-06-02

2019-06-02

X32 and sample rate issue in Windows 10

Greetings!  I am at my wits end trying to solve an issue.  I am running Windows 10 with a pretty zippy system (includes 16 GB RAM and i7 quad processor).  The Main drive is a 500GB SSD.  The issue I am having is that is seems as though windows is locked to 48KHZ.  As longas the X32 is in 48 Khz, everything is fine.  I can play wav files, youtube, and do recording and mixing via Cakewalk (my DAW).  The challenge is with a few older cakewalk projects that were recorded at 44.1.  If I switch the mixer to 44.1, nothing will play (and it gives me errors).  However, within cakewalk, I CAN set it to 44.1 within the software AND within the X32.  My project will play fine.  However, when I render it down, it has clicks and pops in it.  I've done the typical things like remove all effect, problem persists.  I have upgraded all drivers to the most recent (including 6.13 for the X32's X-UF drivers) and updates all firmware (inlcuding now running 3.08 on the x32).  I've also played with the latency, to no avail.  If I were to guess at the problem, it seems like a clock issue, with the computer NOT following the X32 when the sample rate is changed to 44.1.  The weirdness of this sort of working within the DAW is a real puzzle (but maybe a clue to a smart person out there).  A workaround is for me to do everything in 48Khz, but I really have a number of older projects in 44.1 that need to be finished too.  I look forward to your suggestions.

• 0 Kudos
  • 12 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 and sample rate issue in Windows 10

Some more information about this weird problem:

1) I found an older "C" drive that I had used with this setup, so I put it in the computer and booted it up back to Windows 7.  It used the same ASIO drivers.  It works completely fine with the computer following the sample rate set on the X32!  Additionally, I plugged a laptop into the X32 (with the same drivers) and it works too.  That gives me relief that there is nothing wonky going on with the hardware unit.  

My best guess is that something happened in a Windows update that caused the computer to have sample rate issues.  I do think I have isolated the problem to Windows.

Yet, I am not any closer to figuring this out.  I opened a tech support case with MusicTribe 2-3 days ago but haven't heard back yet. 

Volunteer Moderator

@SteveKatsikas wrote:

My best guess is that something happened in a Windows update that caused the computer to have sample rate issues.  I do think I have isolated the problem to Windows.

That would be my guess Steve @SteveKatsikas, and one of the main reasons why I am sticking with Win7 as long as I can. They are doing some weird (and unpredictable) things with Windows lately and it seems that for every bug-fix or enhancement they add, they break something as well. 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

One of the weird things, Paul, was that these problems STARTED with Windows 7.  And that led me to upgrade.  And the problem persists.  Smiley Sad

Steve

Volunteer Moderator

@SteveKatsikas wrote:

One of the weird things, Paul, was that these problems STARTED with Windows 7.  And that led me to upgrade.  And the problem persists.  Smiley Sad

Sorry, I'm not understanding. Your second post mentioned that you used another HDD with Win7 and it worked fine. I'm heading off for an event in about 10 minutes. Maybe tomorrow I can test it with my X32 Rack (with Win7).

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Here's the timetable.  I know this is confusing.  For reasons that are unclear, started to have the problems as decribed above with Windows 7.  Perhaps from a windows update.  Tried everything I could think of to fix it, then upgraded to Windows 10.  Problem persists.  So, found an old harddrive, with an older version of Windows 7 on it, dropped it in, and all works well.  This further confirms its a windows issue.  I don't really want to go with the old harddrive, since its too small of an SSD.  The very weird thing about this situation is that an update to Windows 10 did not fix it.  If I could describe the probem simply, I'd say that Windows does not "follow" the sample rate of the X32.  Every stranger, if I set the sound source to my monitor (which has built in speakers), windows DOES follow the sample rate because I have a choice of changing it in windows, which is absent when I select the X32.  

Don't really know what to try next.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Oh, and I should add the issue is the same whether I use firewire or USB.

Contributor - Level 3

Don't know whether this might help. There are known problems with both Win 7 and later Firewire drivers. The advice is to revert to an old legacy IEEE 1394 driver.

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

Contributor - Level 2

Tried it and it says "The best drivers for your computer are already installed".  

Contributor - Level 2

When I am set to 48Khz, via selecting on the X32, this is what sound settings look like the first pic below, but when set to 44.1, look like the secone one, with "advanced" missing. :

audio 1.PNGaudio 2.PNG